Beer Mac n Cheese Soup
from Closet Cooking
All of the flavours of mac n cheese in the form of a hot bowl of soup!Servings: makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 35 minutesTotal Time: 50 minutes
- 6 strips bacon, cut into 1 inch slices (omit and replace with 2 tablespoons of oil or butter for vegetarian)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (~12 ounce) bottle/can beer (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- cayenne to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of the grease in the pan.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, beer, nutmeg, bacon and macaroni and let cook until the macaroni is al-dente, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add the cream, mustard, worcestershire sauce and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.