Beer Bread Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese Sandwich from Closet Cooking
(makes 1 sandwich)
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion (thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons grainy mustard
1 handful cheddar cheese (grated)
2 slices beer bread
1 tablespoon butter (room temperature)
1. Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat.
2. Add the onions and saute until the onions are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat to medium, add the water and cook until the onions caramelize and turn golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Make sure to stir continuously to ensure that the onions do not burn.
4. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce, thyme, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
5. Assemble sandwich and grill over medium-low heat until the cheese has melted and the sandwich turns golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.