Bánh Xèo (Savoury Vietnamese Crepes Stuffed with Shrimp and Mushrooms)
from Closet Cooking
A Vietnamese savoury fried crepe filled with shrimp, mushrooms and bean sprouts that is wrapped in lettuce along with fresh herbs and dipped into nuoc cham, a tasty Vietnamese dipping sauce.Servings: makes 4 crepesPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 25 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 head lettuce, leaves separated
- * fresh herbs such as cilantro, mint, basil
- 1 batch nuoc cham
- Mix the flour, turmeric, salt, sugar, coconut milk and water until smooth and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, garlic and the whites of the green onions and saute until the shrimp is almost cooked, about 2-3 minutes and set aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the batter in, swirl it around and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the bean sprouts over half of the crepe followed by 1/4 of the shrimp and mushrooms and 1/4 of the greens of the green onions.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons of oil around the edges of the crepe.
- Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook until the edges begin to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.