Baklava French Toast
from Closet Cooking
French toast stuffed with a nut and cinnamon filling inspired by the flavours of baklava.Servings: makes 1 servingPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 25 minutesTotal Time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- * lemon, rind
- * orange, rind
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or a cinnamon stick
- 1 handful nuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- garnish with extra nut filling, zest & cinnamon
- Simmer the honey, water, lemon rind, orange rind and cinnamon in a small pan until it thickens to a syrupy consistency.
- Remove from heat and remove the rinds and cinnamon stick if used.
- Mix the nuts, cinnamon and honey in a bowl.
- Place the nut mixture between 2 slices of bread.
- Mix the egg, milk, lemon juice, orange juice, vanilla extract and salt in a shallow dish.
- Dip the sandwich into the egg mixture to cover both sides.
- Melt some butter in a pan and fry the French toast until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the French toast with the syrup on top