A tasty and hearty soup with all of the flavours of a bacon double cheeseburger.Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 45 minutesTotal Time: 60 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 slices bacon (preferably smoked), cut into one inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (~12 ounce) bottle/can beer (gluten free for gluten free)
- 1 large yukon gold or other boiling potato, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
- cayenne to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease oil
- 2 hamburger buns, cut into 1 inch cubes (gluten free for gluten free)
- 4 tablespoons pickle, diced (optional)
- Cook the ground beef in a large sauce an over medium heat, about 8-10 minutes, and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in the pan, about 5-7 minutes, and set aside on paper towels reserving about 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan and 1 tablespoon for later.
- Add the onions, carrots, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about a minute
- Mix in the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, beer, bacon, beef, potato, ketchup, mustard, worcestershire sauce and tomatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the lettuce, milk and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
- Season with cayenne, salt and pepper and enjoy!
- While the soup is cooking, toss the bun cubes in the reserved bacon grease and bake in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes, turning half way through.
- Serve garnished with the croutons and pickle.