Bacon and Fried Green Tomato Pimento Grilled Cheese
from Closet Cooking
Crispy fried tart green tomatoes with bacon in a grilled cheese sandwich with plenty of melted sweet and spicy pimento cheese!Servings: makes 1 serving
Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 20 minutesTotal Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sized green tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-4 strips bacon
- 1/4 cup masa harina (corn flour) or flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- creole seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste
- oil or bacon grease for frying
- 2 strips bacon, cooked
- 1/2 cup pimento cheese (see below)
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Soak the green tomato slices in the buttermilk for at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside on paper towels to drain.
- Mix the masa harina, cornmeal and creole seasoning and place it in a wide and shallow dish.
- Pull the tomato slices out of the buttermilk and dredge them in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry the tomato slices in oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides, about 3-4 minute per side and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Heat a pan over medium heat.
- Butter the outside side of each slice of bread, place one slice in a pan buttered side down, spread on half of the cheese, then top with the the fried green tomato slices and bacon followed by the remaining cheese and slice of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, about 2-4 minutes per side.
A Southern classic with cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, sweet pimiento peppers and a touch of heat.Servings: makes 2 cupsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 0 minutesTotal Time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 pound cheddar, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature and creamed
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Mix everything.