Avocado and Roasted Tomatillo Salsa from Closet Cooking
(makes 2 servings)
1/2 pound tomatillos (husks removed)
1 jalapeno pepper
1/2 small onion (peeled and cut into large chunks)
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 large avocado (stone removed, scooped from skin and mashed)
1 lime (juice and zest)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1. Place the tomatillos and jalapeno pepper on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until the tomatillos and jalapenos are blackened all over, about 10 minutes per side.
2. Place the tomatillos, jalapeno pepper, onion and garlic into a food processor and puree. (Remove the charred outer skins first if you wish.)
3. (Optional) Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
4. (Optional) Add the the tomatillo salsa, season with salt and pepper and saute until it thickens, about 3-5 minutes.
5. (Optional) Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Mix in the mashed avocado, lime juice and cilantro.