Asparagus Phyllo Pie (Baklava) with Avgolemono Sauce from Closet Cooking
(makes 6-9 servings)
2 pounds asparagus (trimmed and cleaned)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 lemon (zest)
1 handful dill (chopped)
1 cup walnuts (toasted and chopped)
1 1/2 cup mozzarella (grated)
1/2 cup feta (crumbled)
1 cup ricotta
* olive oil
8 ounces phyllo pastry (thawed as directed on package)
3 egg yolks
1 lemon (juice)
1. Cook the asparagus in boiling water until it just turns dark green, about 2 minutes.
2. Drain the water, reserving 1/2 cup of it.
3. Rinse the asparagus under cold water to stop the cooking process.
4. Cut the asparagus into pieces roughly the size of the walnuts.
5. Mix the asparagus, garlic, lemon zest, dill and walnuts in a bowl and set aside.
6. Mix the cheeses.
7. Brush the top of a sheet of phyllo pastry with olive oil and place it in a greased 8 inch square baking pan. Repeat 5 more times.
8. Spread half of the asparagus mixture over the phyllo followed by half of the cheese.
9. Repeat another layer of phyllo, asparagus and cheese and top with a final layer of phyllo.
10. Cut the pie into pieces shaped as you like.
11. Bake the pie in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top and bubbling on the sides, about 30-45 minutes.
12. Pull the pie out of the oven and let it cool.
13. Whisk the egg in small sauce pan until frothy.
14. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice followed by the reserved asparagus water.
15. Whisk the mixture over medium heat until it thickens, about 5-10 minutes.
16. Plate the phyllo pie and drizzle with the avgolemono sauce when ready to serve.