Asparagus, Baby Artichoke, Pesto and Goat Cheese Quiche with Quinoa Crust
from Closet Cooking
A quiche with a quinoa crust that is filled with spring asparagus, artichokes, basil pesto and goat cheese.Servings: makes 4-6 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 60 minutesTotal Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano (parmesan), grated (optional)
- 4 baby artichokes
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Note: A toothpick will come out cleanly when pushed into the center of the quiche when it is ready.
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat, simmer, covered, until tender and most of the water has been absorbed, about 15 minutes, remove from heat and let sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel the leaves from the artichokes until you get to the paler tender inner leaves, cut the top third off and discard, quarter the artichoke hearts and set aside in lemon water.
- Mix the quinoa, egg and parmesan and press into the bottom of a pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until lightly golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute or steam the artichoke hearts and asparagus until just tender and set aside.
- Mix the artichokes, asparagus, eggs, milk, pesto and goat cheese and pour into quinoa crust.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.