Asparagus and Double Smoked Bacon Popover
from Closet Cooking
Asparagus, double smoked bacon and leeks baked on a puffy popover topped with melted cheese!Servings: makes 4 servingsPrep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 35 minutesTotal Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk, warm
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup gruyere, shredded
- Bring a pan with 1 inch of water to a boil, add the asparagus and cook until it turns bright green.
- Rinse the asparagus under cold water and pat dry.
- Cook the bacon in a cast iron skillet over medium heat, and set aside on paper towels to drain reserving the grease in the pan.
- Add the leeks to the pan, saute until tender, about 2-4 minutes, set aside and turn off the heat.
- Add the butter to the skillet and let it melt.
- Mix the milk, eggs, flour, salt and pepper and pour it into the pan.
- Sprinkle the asparagus, bacon, leeks and the cheese over the batter in the pan.
- Transfer the pan to a preheated 425F oven and bake until puffed and golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.