was established between 1885 and 1890 by D.W. Alderman as a mill town for
his lumber company. The name Alcolu is derived from “Al” as in Alderman, “Co”
as in Coldwell (a friend), and “Lu” as in Lula, the only daughter of the
Aldermans at that time. In 1947, the mill was sold by the Alderman family to
the Southern Coatings & Chemical Company and its associated Williams Furniture Company. They in turn were bought by the Georgia Pacific company in 1968 which continued its operations in Alcolu until 2000, when the mill was finally closed.
When it was built, Alcolu was
a small company town where everybody worked at the lumber mill and took babbit, a
metal coin stamped with an “A”, to the company store. There they could buy
groceries, see the doctor, or watch a show in the 200 seat theater upstairs. The company store was built around 1914. Alva and Willie Burke ran the company store from 1954 through the
The building still looks very much as it did in the early 1900’s and is now
used as an antique showroom.
Prior to 1881 the original three-room one-story house faced the lane which is now Burgess Street. On Jan. 21, 1881, W.B. James sold the land and house to Dr. Thomas Lesley Burgess. The original pillars on the back porch remain as do the original hand turned banisters. It was from this home that Miss Anne Curtis Burgess, a music teacher, composed the lovely melody to accompany Timrod’s poem “Carolina”, which was adopted as the S.C. State Song in 1911. Miss Burgess died on October 15, 1910. She is laid to rest in Summerton’s Evergreen Cemetery while her beautiful melody lives on.
Joseph Cantey purchased Mount Hope Plantation consisting of approx. 700 ac. from the widow of Landgrave Edmund Bellenger. His daughter, Mary, married Thomas Sumter. John Cantey’s home was a little more than halfway between Nelson’s Ferry and Murray’s Ferry. This would place it about 1 ½ miles N. of Bennett’s Branch on the present Bartow Shaw lands. His place was used by Gen. Marion for rest and for collecting reinforcements. It was at the Cantey house that Marion heard the news of Gen. Cornwallis’ surrender at York Town. John Cantey died May 15, 1786.
Clarendon County Courthouse
The Clarendon county
Courthouse was built in 1908-09. It stands on the spot which was selected as
the center of the county in 1855. The first building was erected in 1856, but
was destroyed in 1865 during the Civil War by General Potter's Raiders.
Clarendon County Courthouse,Manning, S.C.
A frame structure was erected in 1878. After it was damaged by fire, it was demolished in 1908 and replace by the beautiful Gregorian style stately brick building that still stands today. In 1970 the building was renovated.
In the building are plaques
to the memory of Chief Justice Taylor Hudnall Stukes, Justice James Hugh
McFaddin, and General Richard Richardson. A Portrait of Justice Stukes hangs in
the Courtroom. On the grounds is a monument to the veterans of the War Between
the States and two markers honoring Jake Williams and William Burgess who were
killed in action during World War I.
Formerly the Fullwood Barony,
it was a grant by King George of England of 16,900 acres of land on Black River and
Puddin’ Swamp in Camden and Williamsburg Districts. Major William Fullwood
organized a company of volunteers during the Revolutionary War to fight with Gen.
The Fullwood home and plantation is owned and operated by the
children of Douglas McFaddin and was handed down to them from their great great
grandfather Hugh McFaddin who acquired the home and a great portion of the
The lovely ancestral home built in 1820 has been remodeled many times.
It was built by slaves with hand made brick on the plantation, hand-hewn beams
and boards pegged together with wooden pegs. It was the childhood home of
Judge Hames Hugh McFaddin (1912-1973).
the turn of the century Clarendon was primarily an agricultural county, with
lumber a close second and turpentine stills also important. These activities
all required mule power. Manning, as the county seat, had several livery
stables one being that of Coffey and Rigby. They first located in an old wooden
building at the corner of Mill and Huggins Street, and in 1905 the built a
frame building at the corner of Mill and Keitt Street. The tornado of May 7,
1915, destroyed this building, and the owners immediately erected a substantial
brick building on the same site. The arched doorway is one of the unique
features of this large stable, which has a record of housing twp hundred mules
at one time.
In 1919, the Boll Weevil so deflated the farm economy that many businesses failed. Among them was the Coffey Rigby Livery Stable, which passed into out-of-town hands, where it remained until bought by Sam Richman. No longer a livery stable, it is now the property of Sen. John C. Land, III and houses the Land, Parker & Welch Law Firm.
The Old Robert Eli McFaddin Plantation Home
Robert Eli McFaddin, Sr.
built this home in 1854 with the help of his nephew John Brogdon McFaddin, the
son of Joseph Sidney McFaddin. One of the farm workers was able to help build
the house with a foundation of tall brick pillars and great hewn sills held
together with wooden pegs. Square nails and cypress shingles were made on the
plantation. It is rumored that a Ghost that lives in the attic and peers out
the rear windows, and may be seen in the late afternoons. This Ghost once took
the reins of Jeff’s horse on dismounting at the lot gate and handed them to
Earl his brother.
The 1918 earthquake caused the biggest chimney to fall. It
was replaced by Jeff D. McFaddin and also Clarence Wheeler the noted bricklayer
of the community. Clarendon also designed and built the brick entrance at the
gate way. This home was the site of the first Post Office for Sardinia. Robert
Eli placed his finger on the map of Europe to choose an acceptable name for the
community “Sardinia,” and named his son-in-law, David Eli DuBose, the first
The home has been remodeled first by Jeff McFaddin and recently by his daughter Ruth and her husband Guy E. Slagle, Se. A few things remain such as Robert Eli’s picture over the mantle, the desk used as the Post Office, the old clock, Grand Ma’s little trunk, and the old diary and smoke house. Hurricane “Hugo” demolished the corn house, stable and barn that was used as a community square dance hall.
The beginnings of the library in
Clarendon county can be traced back to 1880 with the organization of the
Manning Literary Society. In 1905, the Moses Levi family gave $1000 to be used
for the building of the library. This gift was matched by the City of Manning
and support generated from public subscriptions, private donations, silver
teas, and bazaars made it possible to purchase the land on Brooks Street and
the construction of the building began in 1909.
This unique building with its
high-domed sky-lights was built by the same architect who built the present
Clarendon County Courthouse. The double doors which admit entrance are the only
ones connecting with the exterior, and on the inside, through the clever use or
arches, on finds oneself in an octagon-shaped room.
In 1976, after years of being a private library the Manning City League voted to turn the Manning Library building over to Clarendon county for use as a public library. On November 13, 1977, the Clarendon County Public Library was officially dedicated. The small building was added to the Nation Historic Register in 1979, the only structure so designed in this county. In 1993 the building was renovated and will be used as an Archives Museum for Clarendon county.
One of the most historic graveyards in the region, Richardson Cemetery was founded prior to the Revolutionary War. In an attempt to force information concerning Frances Marion’s whereabouts from the widow of General Richard Richardson, Banastre Tarleton, a British general compelled Richardson’s widow to dig up the body of her husband laid to rest six weeks earlier. Buried here also are Governors James Burcell Richardson and John Peter Richardson (founder of the Citadel).
The Stukes Home
Located on the corner of Church and Memorial Streets in Manning, it was the home of the late Chief Justice Taylor Hudnall Stukes. This home was built in 1878 by the late Joseph Taylor Stukes. It was restored by his son, Taylor Hudnall Stukes in 1941. The azalea bushes were the first to be planted in Manning. The Stukes home is now owned by Jack and Barbara O’Roarke. Three portraits of Justice Stukes still hand in the music room.
* Visit the SC Department of Archive & History (SCDAH) to see photos and learn more about the Manning Commercial Historic District, in Clarendon County, SC.
Established in 1941, the Santee Wildlife Refuge encompasses 15,095 acres. There are 1,425 acres of cropland, 2,350 acres of forest, 9,000 acres of open water, and 2,320 acres of shallow impoundments which include ponds, marsh, and swamp. More than 200 species of birds live or migrate through the refuge each year. Ducks and Canadian geese spend the winter there. Mammals living in the refuge include bobcat, deer, raccoon, squirrel, mink, otter, and fox. Alligators can be found living in the marshes and swamps. Sport fishing is permitted year round in the refuge.
It is the largest lake in South Carolina, centrally located and with territory within five counties. The lake is referred to as South Carolina's inland sea. It has a 315-miles of shoreline and covers an area of nearly 110,000 acres (174 square miles). It is one of the fifty largest lakes in the U.S.
Lake Marion was created by the construction of the Santee Dam in November 1941. The dam was built across the Santee River to supply hydroelectric power, as part of the rural electrification efforts initiated under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's 'New Deal during the Great Depression.
Lake Marion and the Santee Dam are part of the state-owned electric and water utility Santee Cooper Hydroelectric and Navigation Project. This project also included the construction of the Pinopolis Dam (also known as the Cooper River Dam) which created Lake Moultrie, just downstream. It also consists of a diversion canal seven and a half miles long that connects the two lakes.
Lake Marion is fed by many tributaries, including Wyboo Creek, the Santee River, and numerous springs, including Eutaw Springs. The lake is named for the American Revolutionary War hero, General Francis Marion. His former home of Pond Bluff was one of those flooded when the lake was created.
Map of Lake Marion, Santee Dam, and Lake Moultrie
* Read about the Ghost Towns of Lake Marion
It is the most sizable earthen dam in South Carolina – 8 miles long. Lake Marion is the upper of the two reservoirs created by the dam It comprises 110,600 acres of water. Lake Moultrie, larger than the Sea of Galilee, is the lower and smaller reservoir and covers 60,400 acres. It is named after General William Moultrie, another Revolutionary War hero, who also designed the State Flag of SC.Palmetto Trail
Conceived in 1994, South Carolina’s Palmetto Trail is the state’s largest bicycle and pedestrian project, running from the mountains to the sea. This federally designated Millennium Legacy Trail is the signature project of the Palmetto Conservation Foundation. It is one of only 16 cross-state trails in the U.S.
The Lake Marion Passage is a 33-mile section of the Palmetto Trail that skirts along the
high water mark of the north side of Lake Marion in Clarendon county. Much of the land
along the trail is open for hunting and users should wear bright colors during
big game hunting seasons, from the middle of August to January.
Because of the trail’s proximity to Lake Marion some sections may be flooded
during the wet season. However, these wet conditions add to the beauty of the
area with a profusion of wildflowers.Learn more about the 3 main sections of the Lake Marion Passage.
Manchester State Forest
Located in both Sumter and Clarendon counties,Manchester State Forest consists of approximately 28,675 acres of mixed pine and hardwood species native to the midlands of South Carolina. In 1989 the forest was severely damaged by Hurricane Hugo. Sixty-five percent of the timber base was destroyed. Since then hundreds of acres have been salvaged and replanted. Soil type is light sand, interspersed with swamps and bays.
Woods Bay State Park
The park is an oval-shaped depression, one of a number of Carolina Bays in the coastal plains, and is named for Andrew Woods, who once owned a grist mill there. Woods Bay offers a variety of natural habitats where many species of wildlife are found. The 1541 acre park includes a swamp with a marsh and cypress, oak and gum trees. Visitors may enjoy a boardwalk, canoe trail, nature programs, and a picnic area. A Nature Center, funded by Carolina Power and Light Company, is soon to be built and will provide an increase in educational programming opportunities.
“Taw Caw” is situated on the road leading to a creek by that name. This plantation home was built for Ezra Tindal. Members of the Sublett family and relatives of the Tindals lived there until T.H. Gentry bought it. It is now the home of his great granddaughter, Mary Anne Grayson Moore. Double steps lead to the second floor piazza, and the banisters and hand rails are all hand-turned. Built with slave labor from plantation timber, hand-sawed and hand planed, the massive girders underpinning the house are pegged together. Wide planks run the length of the large rooms without joints. The bricks in the enormous fireplaces and the hinges used for the doors and windows were all processed on the estate. The trees on the spacious grounds are in their third century of growth. This dignified home has double front doors adding to its hospitable atmosphere.
'El Recuerdo' was built by
Col. Edward Bertram Davis in 1815. This home is constructed entirely of heart
pine and cypress with two circular stairways made of mahogany. The original
window panes and shutters grace the mansion. Northern soldiers occupied this
home during the 'War Between the States', and it was one of the few spared from
It is known to be one of the oldest houses in Manning. The house was built shortly after the town was established in 1855. It was moved to its present site in 1896. Mr. Joe P. Moore bought the property in 1964. It still contains the original flooring and most of the heavy dark shutters. The shutters on the front were on the house in 1899. Other original features are the interchangeable windows, the steep shingled roof and pine siding on the house, as well as the nails, which were all handmade by the village blacksmith. A hitching post and carriage step stand at the side yard to add to the authenticity of the period. This house serves as an office for Mr. Moore, Miss Mellie’s Playschool and a clothing exchange, run by Mellie M. Lee, daughter of Mr. Moore.
If you would like to suggest new material or links to be added to this
web site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org