Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I park on the street during a snow storm?
A:  No. Parking on city streets is prohibited whenever a snow emergency is declared by the Public Works Director.  Notice will be given by posting notice on the community bulletin board, by announcement on the radio, and by posting on the Hancock web site.  See the ordinance on the City Department webpage.

Q: Does my dog need to be licensed?

A:  Yes.  Hancock city ordinance 360.02 states: "All dogs over the age of 6 months kept, harbored, or maintained by their owners in the City, shall be licensed and registered with the City".

Q: I want to add on to my home. Do I need a zoning permit?

A:  Yes.  City ordinance 800.01 states:  "No construction, alteration, repair, enlargement, extension, improvement, demolition, removal or placement shall be made or begun on any building", unless a permit is obtained.  Permits may be obtained by contacting the City Clerk's office.

Q: Where can I find information on Hancock city ordinances?

A:  Copies of Hancock city ordinances may be obtained from the City Clerk's office for a fee.

Q: Where do I obtain a dog license?
A:  Dog licenses may be purchased at the City Clerk's office.  Proof of vaccination for distemper and rabies must be provided before a license will be issued. Licenses must be renewed each May.
Q: When is recycling?
A: Recycling is picked up on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month.  We also have a recycling trailer in town every second and fourth weekend of the month.

Q: Where do I pay my water bill?
A:  Water bills may be dropped off or mailed to the City Clerk's office.  The address is:  PO Box 68, 662 6th St. Hancock, MN  56244 - must be received on the 10th of each month to avoid late fees. You may also register/login to view and pay your bill online by visiting Municipal code is HancockMN244. You may also print off and fill out the form below and submit to the City Clerk's office to be registered.
Q: Why didn't I receive a water bill?
A: If you have a credit on your account or a zero balance, you will not receive a bill card. If you are renting a property in town, water bills go to the property owner with the tenants receiving a copy of the bill as well. If you did not receive your monthly bill, please contact the City Clerk's office by phone, email or in person.
C. Clerk,
Oct 18, 2013, 9:54 AM