The 'Poor Hall'

From 1979, when the association was founded, to May 2011, Churwell Community Association operated from the old Poor Hall, after which the Stanhope Hall became the new home.
 




The Poor Hall, a Grade II listed building was built in 1865, by the 'Overseers of the Poor' for the 'Township of Churwell'.


            


   


The roof of the hall, hidden from sight by a suspended ceiling












































       Side room, often used by the Youth Groups when playing video games









Ground floor room, used as a disco area for the Youth Groups









Main hall, the area that many groups used for meetings or dance rehearsals, this photo taken during one of the days that everything was relocated to Stanhope Hall