Fishing Lure Grading System
NIB - New in Box = Unused in its original box/carton/container.
M - Mint = Unused without box.
EXC - Excellent = Very little or no age lines, very minor defects.
VG - Very Good = Little age cracking, some minor defects.
G - Good = Some age cracks, starting to chip, small defects.
AVG - Average = Some paint loss and/or chipping, showing age.
F - Fair = Major paint loss and/or defects. Much chipping on paint.
P - Poor = Parts missing, poor color and/or major chipping.
R - Repaint = Original paint cover over in all or in part.
Further clarification can be added by using a "+" and "-" on the grading system.
Rod Grading System
- NIB - New-In-Box Unused w/original container
- M - Mint Unused w/out original container
- EXC - Excellent Very minor flaws in finish, overall condition excellent
- VG - Very Good Finish showing wear, no missing parts
- G - Good Minor physical problems, finish scratched/ worn; possible re-wrap and/or re-varnish, minor parts missing.
- F - Fair Major physical problems; such as cane separation, short tip, etc.
- P - Poor A junker, good for parts only.
Reel Grading System
Reels are graded on both appearance and mechanical operation, therefore reels will have both an "A" rating and a "M" rating.
MINT - Used for both appearance and mechanical rating systems = Original factory condition, never used.
- A10 - "Unflawed" Looks "mint", but no guarantee as to whether or not it was used.
- A9 - "Excellent" Hard
rubber still polished; edges sharp; markings sharp; machining marks
crisp; plating intact; no corrosion, pitting, chips or
- A8 - "Very Good" Occasional
light scratch; minor normal plating wear; rubber edges may not be
sharp; minor foot imperfections; clean; crank knobs tight.
- A7 - "Very
Good Minus" Small chip(s); some plating wear; screw slots obviously
used; light cleaning required; if recently polished, some surface
- A6 - "Good"
Chip(s); small dent(s); scratch or two from normal use; light
corrosion; foot filed heavily or bent severely; some screw heads
- A5 - "Good
Minus" Larger chip(s) and/or scratches; heavier corrosion; light
pitting; slight bends in pillar or crank; knob pins bent or loose; may
need small replacement part such as a screw, nut or bearing cap.
- A4 - "Fair"
Has significant problems. Heavy corrosion; buggered screws; cracked
rubber plate; small broken part(s); missing major part(s) such as
pillar, line guide, click button; foot seriously damaged.
- A3 - "Fair Minus" More serious problems. Broken foot or other frame part; bent or badly dented plates.
- A2 - "Poor" May be useful for parts.
- A1 - "Valueless" No aesthetic value.
- M10 - "Excellent" All functions work perfectly; no wear.
- M9 - "Excellent
Minus" All functions work well, though some wear apparent. Spool fully
adjustable; strong click; strong brake; smooth level wind (if present).
- M8 -
"Very Good" All functions work well, though complete adjustment may not
be possible. Slight spool "dinging;" some click wear; brake pressure
might not be maximal.
- M7 - "Very Good Minus" Normal use and wear. Spool "sloopy"; click weakening; level wind, slight wobble.
- M6 - "Good"
All functions work, but with some difficulty; click or brake not
functional; level wind jams, broken gear tooth or worn gear.
- M5 - "Fair" Functional problems requiring replacement parts to make operable.
- M4 - "Fair Minus" Major functional problem(s) possible due to missing or broken parts that are not easily replaced.
- M3 - "Poor" Major problem(s) throughout the reel
- M2 - "Valueless" No mechanical value - parts reels only.
- M1 - Throw it out!
Copyright 2008, Chuck's Tackle Box Inc.