The first time I made this, I was so taken with the sauce during sampling that I skipped the pasta and ate it right from the pan. I now whip up a Mediterranean version -- just the sauce and crumbled feta in place of Parmesan. Pasta or low-carb, you'll love the deep tomato flavour. Here's the original version. Try variations as you please. Manga, manga!
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium cauliflower, in florets
- 2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 cups tomatoes, pureed
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
- Pasta of choice (linguini, spaghetti, angel hair, etc)
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add garlic, bay leaf and basil. Saute one minute.
- Add cauliflower. Saute a few minutes.
- Add pureed tomatoes and lower heat. Simmer 15 - 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, if using, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Serve on pasta of choice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Use crumbled feta instead of Parmesan -- or a combination of both.
- Omit the pasta and eat the cauliflower as a side dish.
- Serve on potatoes or rice.
- Instead of simmering on the stove, bake in the oven topped with the cheese to make a variation on cauliflower parmigiana.
© Charmian Christie http://christie-corner.blogspot.com/