- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 4 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 14 cups dried white bread, cubed
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over a medium heat. Fry onions
and celery together with the dried herbs, salt and pepper, stirring
often, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a very large bowl. Add the bread cubes and mix well.
- If you are making the stuffing ahead: Transfer the cooked vegetable
mixture to a large bowl. Let cool and refrigerate in an airtight
container for 24 hours. Mix with bread cubes before stuffing the bird.
- Stuff the turkey at both ends with this mixture.
IMPORTANT: Stuff the turkey just before baking it. Do NOT stuff the
bird ahead and let it sit, even in the refrigerator. It can grow
bacteria and make you quite ill.