2017/2018 state grade level chess championship
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED: we have had a flood of participants, many more than last year and than we expected, and we are about to go beyond what the venue can hold. Because of this we have to close off registrations Next year we will have to find a venue with more tables!
We will hold the 2017/2018 New Mexico state chess championship for grade level in Santa Fe on Sunday March 11, 2018. Registration form is further down on this page.
- Location: De Vargas Mall, Santa Fe, in the old Hastings store, now a big empty space between Subway and Pand Express).
- Cost: $1 (one dollar), pay when you show up.
- Who can participate: Any New Mexico student from Kindergarten to 12th grade can participate, and 13 state champions are declared.
- US Chess Federation membership required. You can join or renew USCF at https://new.uschess.org/join-uschess (I recommend the least-frills option).
- Tournament sections: players will be assigned to sections, each having students from one or more grade levels. Gold medal for state champion for each grade level, silver and bronze medals for 2nd and 3rd place. Olympic scoring.
- Time controls and number of rounds: varies according to the grade level. G/35; d5.
- Contact: email Mark Galassi <firstname.lastname@example.org> with questions.
- Registration deadline: because of overwhelming participation, and since our venue is full, we will have to close down registration on Friday afternoon.
- If you register ahead of time you should show up before 9:45am to not be excluded from the first round.
- Starting time: we start clocks at 10am, tournament will finish by 4pm, and many sections (especially younger students) will finish much sooner.
- Remember to bring your chess set.
- We will have a friends-and-family section: parents and friends are encouraged to play!