sources: Food4tots; RasaMalaysia; Daily Delicious
Makes: about 20 rolls
Sweet Bun Dough
- 400g bread flour
- 100g all purpose flour
- 2 tbs milk powder
- 60g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp yeast
Overnight sponge dough
- 100g high protein flour
- 60g water
- 1/4 tsp yeast
Mix all ingredients above and knead into dough. Proof dough for 30min (cover and let rise) and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- 180g (1cup) water
- 2 eggs
- 80g butter
- Spicy mayonnaise (optional)
- Dried parsley flakes (optional)
Making the Dough
- Mix the sweet bun dough ingredients well and then add the overnight sponge dough. Gradually add in water and eggs. Knead until dough forms. (Or put in a stand mixer and use a dough hook to knead until dough forms)
- Add butter and knead until dough becomes elastic. Let proof for 40 minutes.
Assembly (pictorial instructions here by DailyDelicious)
- Divide Dough into 50g each.
- Roll out each segment into an oval shape and place sausage in the middle. [To gauge how big the dough should be rolled out, the height of it should be the same as the sausage and its 'wings' on either side of the sausage should be long enough to wrap past and over the sausage by 2 cm or so].
- Make 3 horizontal cuts on each dough wing and wrap each strip over the sausage alternating each side.
- Place rolls on baking sheet 1.5 in apart. Cover and let rise for 40 min or until they double in size.
- Preheat convection oven to 325F. For regular oven, heat to 350F.
- Brush egg wash on rolls.
- Drizzle spicy mayo and sprinkle parsley flakes on rolls.
- Bake for 15 min in convection oven; 20 min in regular oven.