BIOGRAPHIES‎ > ‎

Other Biographies Page 6


FROM THE HISTORICAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF IllINOIS AND LIVINGSTON COUNTY  VOL.II
1909

Caughey, John, a well known and prosperous farmer of Charlotte Township, Livingston county, Ill., and a man standing high in the estimation of his fellow townsmen, was born in LaSalle County, Ill., January 5, 1858. His parents, Samuel and Eliza (Marshall) Caughey, natives of Beaver County, Pa., moved to Illinois in 1854, settling in LaSalle County. Samuel Caughey was a house and bridge carpenter by trade, and followed this occupation up to the time of his marriage. After his removal to Illinois he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, continuing this until his death. He and his wife had three sons, and when the family located in Livingston County, the subject of this sketch was twelve years of age. The latter was reared to farm life, receiving his education in the common schools. Since early manhood he has been a farmer, and has accumulated a valuable property. His brother, Robert S., is also engaged in farming in the same section.
Mr. Caughey was married on November 26, 1884, to Rebecca Townsend, who was born in Fairbury, Livingston County. Their union resulted in three sons and four daughters, one son dying in infancy. the surviving children are : Grace, John, Fred, Nellie, Mabel and Marie.
Politically, Mr. Caughey follows the fortunes of the Republican part. For a number of years he has held the office of School Director. He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church.

Cline, George W. (deceased), for thirty three years a prominent farmer and leading citizen of Chatsworth Township, Livingston County, Ill., was born on a farm in Tazewell County, Ill., December 21, 1829. He was the last survivor of thirteen children composing the family of John and Elizabeth (Hill) Cline, pioneer settlers of Tazewell County, where they had moved from Ohio. Mr. Cline was reared to manhood on the home farm, and when twenty one years old began farming in LaSalle County, continuing thus for five years and then returning to Tazewell County. There he was married on May 1, 1856, to America Fishburn, a native of Middletown, Pa., whose parents had settled in LaSalle County, when she was three years of age. The young couple lived two years in Tazewell County and the next eight years in La Salle County. In 1864 they moved to Livingston County, locating first in Union Township, subsequently in Indian Grove Township and later in Chatsworth Township. While living in the latter locality, Mr. Cline bought the place on which he passed the remainder of his life, taking possession of the property in 1869. During the first years of his residence in the new home adversity confronted the family. Heavy indebtedness, and the excessive rains of 1869 (the wet year) which reduced the crops to a minimum, proved a severe ordeal. But the energy and indomitable spirit of the subject of this sketch and the patience and persistent endeavors of his faithful wife enable them to pass through it successfully, and each succeeding year added to their prosperity and comfort. At the time of his decease Mr. Cline was the owner of 320 acres of land, containing improvements of the best kind.
The death of Mr. Cline occurred September 10, 1901, and his loss was deeply felt by a wide circle of acquaintances throughout Livingston County. He was a man of broad, practical information and took an earnest interest in public affairs, although his chief pleasure was found in the home circle, of which his worthy widow is still the greatly respected center.
Their family consisted of eleven children, seven of whom were boys. Mary, the eldest child, died in 1971. Emma has always remained at home. Ida married James Martin and resides in Chenoa, Ill.--has two children, Dylinus and James Elden. Kate married Stephen Kent and resides in Kaliseile, MKont. --has four children, Raymond, Mabel, Verna and Harold. Charles and John are farming in Iowa, the former in Jasper County and the latter near Tioga, Mahaska County. George bought the farm adjoining Mrs. Cline's on the East in Chatsworth Township. Eugene is operating the home farm. James is a farmer near Monticello, Ill. Harry is station agent of the Illinois Central Railroad at Cropsey, Ill., and Frank is a farmer near Delphi, Ind.
Politically, Mr. Cline was a Prohibitionist and has served on the school board ever since her came to Livingston County; held the office of Supervisor two terms. While not a church member he was actively interested in Sunday school work. In fraternal circles he was affiliated with A.F. & A.M. being connected with Chatsworth Lodge No. 358. the family have always attended the Methodist Church.

Corbett, John C., a prosperous, energetic business man, grain, lumber and coal dealer, in Chatsworth, Ill., and Vice President of the Commercial National Bank of Chatsworth, and prominent in connection with the public affairs of Chatsworth Township and Livingston County, was born in Tazewell County, Ill., March 9, 1865. ten years before that date his father, Thomas Corbett, a blacksmith by trade, had come to the United States from County Tipperary, Ireland, following his trade in Troy, N.Y., until the spring of 1869, known to many as the wet year. He then removed to a farm in Sullivan township, Livingston County, which he still owns, but in 1891 took up his residence in the village of Chatsworth, which is his present home. the marriage of Thomas Corbett took place in Troy, N.Y., where Ellen Kane became his wife, and to this union eight children were born, four sons and four daughters; one son and two daughters dying in infancy. Those having reached maturity are as follows: Julia, who lives with her parents, having been for several years a school teacher; John C., Hugh E., a lawyer of Gary, Ind.; Minnie, who died at the age of twenty eight years; and James Ambrose, who is vice president  of the Citizen's National Bank, in Decatur, Ill.
John C. Corbett lived on the farm until he reached the age of twenty one years, receiving his education in the district schools, the Pontiac High School, and the Valparaiso (Ind.) Normal School. Having completed the Commercial Teachers' and Scientific courses, he turned his attention to teaching, being engaged for ten years with great success in the schools of Livingston County, but later giving his attention to the hardware and agricultural implement trade at Emington, Ill. , until October, 1900, when he succeeded Cowen Brothers of Chatsworth, in the grain, lumber and coal business. He has also been associated with the Commercial National Bank of Chatsworth, Ill., since its organization, serving as it vice president. On August 14, 1895, John C. Corbett was married to Jennie Lawless, a daughter of Patrick Lawless, of Livingston County. Mrs. Corbett received her education in a convent. Two children have been born to this union, named: Zita and Thomas. Mr. Corbett and his excellent wife are Catholics in religious faith, belong to the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. Mr. Corbett is a member of the Knights of Columbus and Past Grand Knight of Chatsworth Council No. 730.
Politically, John C. Corbett is a democrat, but without regard to party lines his fellow citizens have honored him with various positions of trust and honor; being elected to the office of May of Chatsworth, Ill., for two terms and is now serving his third term as Supervisor of Chatsworth Township. He is a member of the Important committees on the Board of Supervisors. Mr. Corbett is possessed of those sterling traits of character which make him a valuable citizen, has always taken an active interest in the welfare of his community and has been closely identified with all enterprises looking to the betterment of local affairs. He is progressive and liberal in all his views and joins heartily in all enterprises tending to advance the interests of his fellow townsmen and the community at large in which he lives. Upright and honorable in all his dealings, he has always been true to the trust imposed upon him, and has won the hearty good will and esteem of all who know him.


Glabe, Sebastian, an intelligent and thriving farmer of Germanville Township, Livingston County, Ill., where he has borne the reputation of a worthy and reliable member of the community for many years, was born in Farmdale, Tazewell County, Ill., July 31, 1859,  a son of Jacob and Katharina (Stein) Glabe, natives of KurHesen, Germany, of whom the former was born in 1815 and the later in 1816. Their marriage took place in the fatherland in 1846, and two years later, they emigrated to the United States, proceeding to Illinois and settling in Tazewell County, where Jacob Glabe took up a tract of land at Farmdale. This he cleared and improved, following farming thereon up to the time of his decease, on July 12, 1892. The mother survived her husband until 1898, passing away at Farmdale. Their family consisted of six sons and one daughter.
Sebastian Glabe, who was the youngest of this family, was reared on his father's farm and received his education in the district schools. In early life he became associated with his brother Henry, who was an architect, contractor and builder, but later, his occupation was that of a mechanical engineer for several year, his residence being Holton, Kan., where he and his brother-in-law erected the Municipal Electric Light Plant. Since 1890 he has been located on his present farm, where he is the owner of 160 acres of fine land and his labors have been attended by profitable results.
On December 31, 1885, Mr. Glabe was married to Katharina Ruppel, of Livingston County, Ill., whose parents Henry and Angelina (Berlett) Ruppel, were natives of the same province in Germany in which he was born. They came to this country in 1850 and lived ten years at Washington, Ill., moving thence to the homestead farm in Germanville Township, now operated by the subject of this sketch. Mr. Glabe's father, Henry Ruppel, is now in his seventy-eighth year, but hale and hearty and enjoys regular daily rides on his bicycle. Mr. and Mrs. Glabe have nine daughters, as follows: Laura; Nellie, a teacher of music; Luella, Esther, Ruth and Rachel (twins); Eva, Alice, and Seberta.
Politically, Mr. Glabe is a supporter of the Republican party. He and his excellent wife are members of the Evangelical Church. He has held all the local offices and is now Justice of the Peace, School Director and has been Commissioner of Highways for nine years.

Goembel, John W., of Strawn, Ill., is one of the best representatives of Illinois farmers to be found in this part of Livingston County. Mr. Goembel was born in Germanville Township, Livinsgston County, Ill., February 10, 1870, a son of William Philllip and Elizabeth (Schroen) Gombel. William P. Goembel was born in Breitenbadam, Hertzber, Kurhessen, Germany, February 20, 1833, while his wife was born in Niederauta, Kurhessen, Germany, February 5, 1845, and died January 16, 1901. The father was and farmer and is now retired.
Mr. Goembel was educated in the public schools of his neighborhood, and after leaving the farm in Germanville Township with his parents in the fall of 1880, he settled in Strawn, Ill., and as soon as old enough he began to assist his father in the grain and lumber business. In the spring of 1894 Mr. Goembel began farming on his present property, a fine farm of 120 acres, which he owns and operates, devoting his attention to general farming purposes.
In political views, Mr. Goembel is a Democrat, and in the spring of 1901 he was elected Supervisor of the Democratic ticket, has been reelected at each successive election, and at present is holding this important office and giving entire satisfaction to all parties concerned. In 1898, Mr. Goembel joined the M.W. of A.; in 1902 he joined the K. of P. and he has filled all the offices in these local camps, and local lodges, and is at present K. of R. for the K. of P. In religious matters, he is a member of the German Lutheran church, and one of its most liberal supporters.
On December 25, 1893, Mr. goembel married at Greenwood, Neb., Laura Alice Walling, who was born, reared and married in the same house. Her father died March 24, 1890, and her mother, surviving him until November 17, 1907, died on that date. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Goembel are as follows:Marguerite F., born December 11, 1894; Tabitha E., born September 8, 1901; and John, born January 11, 1908. Mr. Goembel is an excellent farmer, a good business man and , as a public official, his record is unsullied. He has always done what he believed to be his duty, and has endeavored to be a good neighbor, a kind and loving husband and father, and has succeeded in becoming an exemplary citizen, who is held up as a model to others.

Lawless, Patrick, in his day a well known farmer of Livingston county, Ill., who, through industry, perseverance and economy, accumulated large landed properties in the vicinity of the village of Chatsworth, was born in County Meath, Ireland, and in company with his mother and his brother William, came to the United States shortly after attaining his majority. The lived at Camp Grove, Marshall County, Ill., a number of years, and for a considerable period, he and his brother were partners, this connection lasting until his marriage to Catherine O'Neill, also a native of Ireland, who had been in this country for some time.
He acquired a farm in Marshall County, and in course of time moved to Livingston County, locating in Germanville Township, where his son, Patrick, Jr. was born August 20, 1872. When the latter was six months old, the subject of this sketch returned to the same farm in Marshall County which he had continued to own. About ten years later, Patrick moved again to Livingston County, settling on a place two miles east of Chatsworth, known as the "Beet Farm", his other son William, occupying the Marshall County property. This was soon sold, however, and William came into possession of a farm in Germanville Township, as a gift from this father. Patrick Lawless lived on the "Beet Farm" until Patrick, Jr. was eighteen years old. About that time he bought the present homestead near the site of the beet sugar factory, and planted it in wheat. This farm, which adjoins Chatsworth consisted of 144 acres formerly owned by Mr. Remsberg, who erected the house now standing about where the beet sugar factory stood, which had disappeared. Here Patrick Lawless died, his widow being now a resident of the village of Chatsworth, living with her daughter, Mrs. John C. Corbett. Their family numbered six daughters and two sons who reached years of maturity, one son having died in childhood. Their names are as follows: William, who lives in Charlotte Township, a mile north of Chatsworth; Mary (Mrs. Andrew Kane) of Peoria, Ill.; Lizzie *Mrs. W.F. Harney) of Pontiac, Ill.; Maggie (Mrs. John Cooney) of Charlotte, Ill.; Kate (Mrs. James McGuire), of the same place; Bertha, who married Thomas Lawless, an attorney in Chicago, and Jennie (Mrs. J.C. Corbett).
Patrick Lawless, Jr. farmed the old "Beet Farm" when eighteen years old, and then, after spending two years with his father, returned to it in 1893, and operated it until 1897. He receivded 240 acres from the paternal estate, and added more until the farm comprised 360 acres. In 1907 he bought from the mother the old home at Chatsworth. The homestead place has two sets of buildings. Besides his general farming operations, Patrick, Jr. has devoted his attention to breeding draft horses, producing some excellent specimens. He has sold the highest  priced horses ever disposed of in his locality, often keeping as many as thirty high-bred animals. He has laid a great deal of tiling, and has made other extensive improvements. The original cost of the old place was $27 per acre, for which he paid $55 per acre. the latter is now worth from $130 to $150 per acre.
Patrick Lawless,Jr. was married at twenty three years of age to Ella Ryan, who died between four and five years after her marriage, leaving three children, namely: Patricus, James and Ella. For his second wife, he married Katie Kerrins, daughter of Thomas Kerrins, formerly a farmer in Charlotte Township, where Mrs. Lawless was born. Two children have resulted from this union, Mary and Catherine.
The father of these five children is a Democrat, politically, and has served as School Director, although he has not taken an active part in politics. In religious faith he is a Catholic, who organized the Catholic Church of the township, of which they are always earnest supporters.

McKinley, Robert, a well know and worthy farmer, of Charlotte Township, Livingston County, Ill., was born at Hyde Park, N.Y., May 14, 1872, a son of Robert and Lucy (Maxwell) McKinley, natives of Scotland, the father's birthplace being in Ayrshire. The latter, a landscape gardener by occupation, came to Canada at the age of thirty five years, going thence to Hyde Park, N.Y., whence he moved to Illinois in 1874. While a resident of Hyde Park, he married Lucy Maxwell, who now makes her home with her son William on the old homestead, the father having died in 1904. Their family consisted to two sons and two daughters, all of whom are living. Robert McKinley, the son, was two years old when his parents moved to Livingston County, where he received his education in the common schools. Since early manhood he has devoted his attention to farming, his labors being attended with profitable results. On January 12, 1898, he was united in marriage with Mary Spray, born in Livingston County, Ill., and their union has been blessed with one boy, Clarence, now eight years old. 
In politics Mr. McKinley is a supporter of the Democratic party and has served the public in local affairs. His religious connection is with the Congregational church.
******************************


1906 Biography GRANT REMSBURG 
Grant S. Remsburg, well known in business circles of Ohio, where he is now acting as postmaster and is also conducting a notion store, was born in Ohio township, July 6, 1864. The year 1859 witnessed the arrival of his parents, Perry F. and Mary L. (Brown) Remsburg, in Bureau county. Both were natives of Sandusky county, Ohio, and were married in that state, whence they came to Illinois and chose Bureau county as the place of their abode. Thirteen children were born unto them, and Grant S. Remsburg, the sixth of this family, spent his boyhood and youth under the parental roof, while in early life he was a student in the public schools and later continued his education in the graded schools of Chatsworth, Illinois. His educational opportunities well qualified him for the practical duties of a business career, and after leaving school he followed farming for three years. Subsequently he was engaged in the livery business, and was afterward a clerk in a dry goods store for eight years. On the expiration of that period he had charge of a grain elevator for three years, and for three years and a half he was manager of a drug store in the village of Ohio. He then entered the government service as postmaster, and is now acting in this capacity, capably and promptly discharging the duties that devolve upon him in this connection. He is also proprietor of a notion store and has a good trade in that line. In Princeton, on the 21st of April, 1896, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Remsburg and Miss Lucy Connor, who was born in Bureau county, Illinois, November 7, 1866. She was the second child of William and Maria (Winkler) Connor, whose family numbered four children. The father was a native of Virginia and the mother of Ohio, and each came to Bureau county in early life, their marriage being celebrated here. Mr. and Mrs. Remsburg now have one child, Perry W., who was born September 3, 1898. They occupy a good home in the village of Ohio. Mr. Remsburg owning the property. He belongs to Schamo lodge, No. 627, I. O. O. F., and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has served as a member of the village board for four years, as treasurer one term and school trustee for two terms, and the duties that devolved upon him in these connections were faithfully performed. He works earnestly and effectively for the welfare of the community, and his co-operation can always be counted upon for any movement that has direct bearing upon the welfare and advancement of his community. He is a popular citizen, with many friends, and the number is constantly growing as the circle of his acquaintance widens. He is now president of the Chaunont club, a social organization of the village having a membership of fifty. He is well liked and has gained public regard through his kindliness, geniality and deference for the opinions of others. 
[Past and Present of Bureau County, Illinois by George B. Harrington, A.M., Together With Biographical Sketches, Chicago, The Pioneer Publishing Co., 1906, Pages 470-471, submitted by Danni Hopkins]



This is possibly the first child born in Chatsworth, Livingston County, Illinois.

CHARLES T. BROCKWAY, M. D. During the five years that have passed since Dr. Charles T. Brockway established an office and commenced the practice of medicine in Brookston, he has built up a lucrative business and has won distinction among the members of his profession. He is the present health officer of Brookston, and is an honored member of the local and state medical societies. As a general practitioner he has commanded the attention of the public, and he has frequently been called into consultation with physicians in this and neighboring towns. 
The Doctor's father, Truman Brockway, was born January 24, 1832, and was a native of New York state, and was one of the pioneers of Livingston county, Illinois. He built the first substantial store erected in the town of Chatsworth, and with his family lived in the pleasant and comfortable suite of rooms over the store for some years. He was a merchant there for several years, a contractor and builder, a farmer for a period, and here in the fullness of time he passed away from earth in his sixty seventh year, March 18, 1899. His wife, Sarah (Ewing) Brockway, likewise born in the Empire state, survives him. For many years she has been an earnest member of the Methodist church. Though Mr. Brockway was not regularly connected with the denomination, he gave support to the cause and was in sympathy with the grand work which is being carried on under its auspices. He held various township offices of more or less responsibility, and the respect of all who knew him was his in large measure. Both of the Doctor's grandfathers died in the east, but the wife of his maternal grandfather is still living, near Chatsworth, and is now in her ninety third year. One of the five children of Truman and Sarah Brockway died in infancy. Laura is the wife of George W. Myers, of Chatsworth, and Mary, unmarried, resides in the same town, while Dr. Frank Brockway is engaged in medical practice in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. 
The birth of Dr. C. T. Brockway took place on Christmas day, 1863, in Chatsworth, and in that pretty village he spent the years of his youth. His early education was obtained at the Chatsworth public school and at the district schools ; and for five summers he worked for his father on the old homestead. Then followed twelve years of service for the Illinois Central Railroad Company as a station agent and telegraph operator. Ten years of that period were spent at Colfax, Illinois, and the remainder at Irwin, Kempton and Pontiac, same state. His health failing while he was at Pontiac, he resigned, and after his recovery he commenced studying medicine in the Columbus Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio. Later, he was graduated from the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, in the spring of 1893, and at once located in Brookston, as previously related. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Pythias and of the "Rathbone Sisters," and politically he is a Republican. 
The pleasant home of the Doctor, on Railroad street, is presided over by his charming wife, formerly Miss Mertie Brown, born January 1, 1864. They were married December 30, 1884, at the home of Mrs. Brockway's mother, Mrs. Mary C. (Leisure) Brown, now of Bloomington, Illinois. Her father, James Brown, was in later life a cripple, in consequence of a mini bullet received while a Union soldier in the war of the Rebellion, and died many years ago. The Doctor and wife are members of the Baptist church and take deep interest in various charitable organizations. They have two children, Howard T. and Charles J.


From: an Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties: Washington
Fremont L. Calkins is the principal of the public schools at Ellensburg, Washington, a position he has filled with conspicuous success since 1901. Since his graduation from the Northern Indiana Normal school at Valparaiso, in 1882, Mr. Calkins has been constantly engaged in his profession with unvarying success. The high reputation of the city schools of Ellensburg is a testimony to his ability as an educator. Mr. Calkins was born in Knox County, Illinois, February 12, 1860. His father, Albert Calkins, born in New York in 1808, was a pioneer Illinois farmer, having bought land from the government and settled in that state in 1836. He was of English descent and traced his ancestry back to 1636. He died in 1896. Mr. Calkins' mother, Lois M. (Park) Calkins, was born in Massachussetts in 1815 and died in 1887. She was of Welsh extraction. Her ancestors were early settlers of Massachussetts. Mr. Calkins grew to manhood in Illinois, working on his father's farm and attending the common schools. He graduated from the normal school in 1882 and was in turn principal at the Chatsworth, Illinois schools for four years; of the Chenoa, Illinois schools for two years; at Gilson, Illinois for a year; at Washington, Illinois for five years and at Delavan, Illinois for seven years, before coming to Washington to accept his present position. He has four brothers living; Calvin, of Mount Pleasant, Iowa; Leonard, of One da, Illinois; Leroy of Galesburg, Illinois and Dwight of Cambridge, Nebraska.
Mr. Calkins was married in 1895 to Hellen P. Parker, a native of Fredonia, New York, who was educated in that city and in the State Normal school there, and who taught for a number of years. Mrs. Calkins was the daughter of J.J. and Mary (Wheelock) Parker. Her father was a member of the firm of Parker & Co., large seed dealers of Fredonia. Her mother was the daughter of Rev. Dr. Wheelock, a noted divine of the Baptist Church and an extensive traveler. Mr. and Mrs. Calkins have five children: Frederick Par, Forrest F., frances Mary, Julius Brown, and Norman Floyd Calkins. Husband and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Calkins is a Mason and a Knight Templar and belongs to the Modern Woodsmen of America. He is a member of the Republican party. He owns a fine ranch near Ellensburg.
Note: Prof. Calkins was hired in 1883 a principal of the Chatsworth school and served four years. He is listed in an article in the Plaindealer of 1884 as one of our local available bachelors.