FROEBE, Charles J., an energetic and progressive young farmer of Livingston County,Ill., and owner of one of the finest farms in Germanville Township, was born in that township,February 4, 1875, a son of Nicholas and Caroline (Goembel) Froebe, natives of Germany. Nicholas Froebe, who was a successful farmer and a gallant veteran of the Civil War, was also in the military service in the Fatherland, where he remained until he was twenty-seven years old. In youth he learned the trade of a weaver.On coming to the United States he came to Woodford County, Ill., where he lived two years, moving then to Germanville Township, Livingston County, where he was drafted into the service for the Illinois Volunteer Infantry, taking part in the battles of Lookout Mountain, Knoxville and other important engagements. After the war he followed farming many years on the old Froebe homestead. Since 1896. he has been a resident of Oakland, California. His wife died June 2, 1906, at Napa, Cal, and there was buried. Their family consisted of four daughters and three sons, and of four surviving members of the family, one daughter is still in California, while the others are residents of Livingston County.
Charles J. Froebe received his education in Chatsworth, Ill., and accompanied his parents to the Golden State, where he lived seven years,afterwards spending a year in Texas. Since returning to Livingston County, he has devoted his attention successfully to farming on the homestead property of 208 acres, formerly owned by his father. On March 16, 1899, Mr. Froebe was married to AMda O. Fitch, a native of Columbus, Ohio, daughter of Theodore C. and Mary (Burr-Putnam) Fitch, the former a native of Jackson, Miss., and the latter of Marietta, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Fitch were married in Marietta during the Civil War, and in 1888 located at Chattanooga. Tenn., where Mr. Fitch engaged in the printing business. In 1897, with his wife and daughter he went to Sacramento. Cal., w'here he conducted a fruit ranch until his death, September 4, 1901, his widow still surviving and residing there. On the Fitch side, Theodore Fitch was a lineal descendant of the noted John Fitch, of Massachusetts, who traced his ancestry back to the distinguished Fitch and Stuart families, who played such an important part in the history of England. Mrs. Froebe is also a great-granddaughter of Gen.Israel Putnam, of Revolutionary War fame.Two children have resulted from the union of Mr. and Mrs. Froebe, namely: David Putnam and Esther Carlotta. Politically, Air. Froebe acts with the Republican party. In religious belief he and his wife are Presbyterians.
See photo here
HUMMEL, Henry, a well known and thrifty farmer of Gemanville Township, Livingston County, Ill., who, during his many years of residence in his present locality, has gained the reputation of a thoroughly reliable man and a useful citizen, was born in Kendall County, Ill.,March 13, 1858, a son of Anton and Magdalina (Arnold) Hummel, both natives of Wurtemberg, Germany, whose marriage took place in Kendall County in 1857. The father, a stone-mason by occupation, was born in 1826, and emigrated to the United States in 1854, proceeding directly to Kendall County, Ill., where he worked at his trade five years. Then he moved to Livingston County, where, out of his savings, he bought a farm of 320 acres in Germanville Township. On this place he followed farming successfully for many years, dying February 28, 1906, when eighty-two years old. He and his wife reared a family of three sons and one daughter, of whom the latter is deceased. The sons are now farmers in Livingston County. Henry Hummel grew to manhood on the home farm, receiving his education in the district schools. In early life he started out for himself, and has since devoted his attention to farming, in which his label's have been attended by success, he now owning 240 acres of land. On February 7, 1882, Mr. Hummel was first married to Matilda Froebe, a daughter of Nicholas and Carolina (Gimble) Froebe, natives of Kur-Hessen, Germany, who settled in 1858, in Livingston County, Ill., where the daughter was born. Mrs. Froebe died in California in 1906, and Mr. Froebe still makes his home in, Los Angeles, that state. Mr. Hummel's first wife died July 4, 1898, leaving three sons and one daughter: Frank A., a farmer of Germanville Township, who married, February 22, 1908, Lena Hornickel, a native of Livingston County; Catherine C.; Fidel C, and Charles E. On July 29,1899, Mr. Hummel took a second wife in the person of Mary Gerbig, a daughter of Henry and Bertha (Fox) Gerbig, natives of Kur-Hessen, Germany, who came to America in 1866 and engaged in truck farming in Chicago, where both died, the father January 23, 1908, and the mother December 3, 1907. To Mr. Hummel's second marriage there were born a son, Clarence Jr, and a daughter, Hazel Amelia. Politically, Mr. Hummel is a Democrat and for several years has held the office of Supervisor and Road Commissioner, and at the present time is Township Assessor and School Trustee, a Director of the Farmers' National Bank of Strawn, and a Director of the Forrest Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company.
The family are members of the Lutheran Church.
See photo here
KERRINS, James H., who is successfully engaged in the grain and coal trade at Chatsworth,Ill., was born in Brenton Township, Ford County, III., eight miles northeast of Chatsworth, October 20, 1864. He is a son of Thomas and Mary (Meehan) Kerrins, natives of County Sligo, Ireland, whence the father came to the United States in 1857, landing in New York City, and soon going to Fort Plain in the same State.Thomas Kerrins had been reared to farm life, but was handy with tools, and found work in connection with brick and stone construction, being also engaged in running a ferry boat on the Hudson River. He was subsequently employed in a seminary at Port Plain and while there met and married Mary Meehan. In 1865,he moved to Livingston County, Ill., and located on a farm three and a half miles northwest of Chatsworth, April 15 of that year. He began farming in Charlotte Township, without financial resources, and as the land was low and wet, his task was an arduous one. Starting with eighty acres, he continued to acquire more until, in 1893, he was the owner of a section of land which was highly improved. His holdings were afterwards diminished by sales to 320 acres.This farm is one of the most desirable farming properties in the county. In the year last mentioned,Thomas Kerrins rented his farm and took up his residence in Chatsworth, where he bought property, owning a business block. He died in Chatsworth, April 10, 1902, but bis widow,still surviving, is a resident of that village.They reared a family of six sons and two daughters,as follows: Ellen, wife of James W. Ford, Assessor of Chatsworth; James H.; Charles, a farmer in Decatur County, Iowa; Thomas P, who operates the homestead farm; John A., in the Real Estate business; Dennis J., who works for his brother James in the elevator, of Chatsworth; Martin, who conducts a grain elevator in Healey, Illl, and is station agent of the Illinois Central Railroad Company; and Katie, wife of Patrick J. Lawless, of Chatsworth. In Politics, Thomas Kerrins was a Democrat, and held minor township offices.
James H. Kerrins remained on the home farm until 1893, working with his father, together with his younger brothers, and then in the company with his brother, John A., he engaged in the grocery and commission business. Disposing of his interest to his brother eighteen months later, he established himself in the grain trade, starting in 1895, the elevators with which he was then connected being owned by the Rogers Grain Company and located in Chatsworth, Charlotte and Healey. On January 1, 1908, he took charge of the Illinois Central Railroad Company elevator in Chatsworth, on a lease, and is making a complete success of the undertaking. Mr. Kerrins is not married but occupies the family residence with his mother. He is the executor of the parental estate. Aside from business cares, he is fond of athletic games. Politically, the subject of this sketch is a Democrat, but in the main has kept aloof from active politics. He served however, three years on the Village Board and held the office of Mayor of Chatsworth in 1898. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of Columbus, being on the local board of managers. He is further identified with the M.W.A., in which he is Banker of the Chatsworth Camp; and also belongs to the K. of P. In religion Mr. Kerrins was reared to the Catholic faith, his parents having been among the original members of the St. Peter and Paul Church in Chatsworth.
See photo here
RYAN, John P., President of the Commercial National Bank, of Chatsworth, Ill., and one of the most prominent citizens of the southeastern part of Livingston County, was born in Marshall County, Ill., May 21, 1861. His father was William Ryan, a native of Tipperary, Ireland, who came to the United States with his wife in 1847 (at the time of the great famine in Ireland), landing in New Orleans. After being employed in that city awhile he came to Illinois, and worked two years for Bishop Chase,at Jubilee, near Peoria, as Superintendent of the farm connected with the Episcopal College.
He had a collegiate education, being also a surveyor,and made himself very useful to Bishop Chase in arranging and beautifying the grounds about the latter's official residence. After the death of his wife he married again, settling in Marshall County and devoting bis attention to farming. In addition to his farming operation she dealt extensively in lands. He died in 1875, at the age of sixty-three years, owning at the time of his decease about 1,600 acres of farming land. His second wife was Margaret Keough,whom he wedded while in the employ of Bishop Chase. She was a business woman and assumed the management of her husband's estate, surviving him until 1903, and at intervals adding to the extent of the property. Of the eight children resulting from her union with William Ryan, seven were sons, and they remained at home working together, so that when the estate was divided the shares were very readily determined, entailing little expense to the heirs. The mother lived to see each of her children settled in life. When she passed away her eldest son,Rev. Daniel J. Ryan, who afterwards died at Jacksonville, Ill., conducted her funeral rites,his six brothers acting as pall-bearers, and bearing the coffin to the grave. Of the other children who were educated by her, Thomas is a farmer of Stark County, Ill.; Timothy D., is a banker, of Ogden, Utah, who was formerly in the banking business at Wyoming, Ill.; J. P., who is a farmer by occupation, after remaining at home until he was twenty-eight years old,located in 1888, half a mile north of Chatsworth, where he has since lived; William J., who stayed at the old home, where he died in 1906, his widow still owning the Ryan homestead; Michael P., twin brother of the last named, who is a farmer at Wyoming, Ill.; and Mary E., who is the wife of James Day, of Peoria.
Rev. Daniel J. Ryan was one of the leading priests of the Alton diocese, in which he officiated twenty-four years, thirteen years of this period being spent in charge of St. Joseph's Church in Springfield. His whole life was devoted to the functions of the priesthood. The other sons were inclined towards business or agricultural pursuits and all have been successful.
John P. Ryan was profitably engaged in farming on a large scale for a number of years, and is still the owner of three-quarters of a section of land near Chatsworth. He has given the greater portion of his attention to raising, feeding and shipping live stock. He is manager of a cotton plantation of 1,129 acres in Coahoma County, Miss., in which he has a half interest.
Mr. Ryan was one of the organizers of the Commercial National Bank, of Chatsworth, of which he has been President since 1902, and is regarded as one of the most sagacious and conservative financiers in Livingston , County. He is the owner and occupant of a handsome residence in Chatsworth, erected by him in 1907.The marriage of Air. Ryan took place at Camp Grove, Ill., on February 20, 1889, on which date he was wedded to Emma AI. Pennell, their union having resulted in three children: Gladys C, Marie M. and John R. Mr. Ryan has kept out of active politics, and his political action is not restricted by party lines. He supports the men and measures he thinks to the best interests of all the people. He was reared in the Catholic faith, and he and his excellent wife are devout and zealous members of St. Peter's and St. Paul's Church in Chatsworth, and he is also a member of the Knights of Columbus.
See photo here
STERRENBERG, Peter, for many years a prosperous and highly respected merchant of Charlotte, Livingston County. Ill., where he is the senior member of the firm of Sterrenberg & Sons, was born in Germany, September 24, 1838,and was reared and schooled in his native country, remaining there until 1867. In that year he came to the United States, locating in Minonk, Ill., where he followed the trade of a carpenter, which he had learned in the fatherland. After living in Minonk about eighteen months he moved to Danforth, Ill., and continued in the same occupation there for fourteen years. During the period of his residence in Danforth he visited Germany with his wife, spending several months amid the scenes of his youth.
In 1883 he took up his residence in Charlotte, Ill., working at this trade for the next three years, and then engaging in merchandizing in connection with P.R. Manssen. This partnership lasted twenty years, the firm being known as Sterrenberg and Manssen. In 1906 Mr. Manssen sold his interests in the concern, which has since been conducted under the firm style of Sterrenberg and Sons. The marriage of Peter Sterrenberg took place in Danforth, Ill., March 19, 1877, on which date he was wedded to Helene Smedt, who was born in Germany, March 13, 1850, and came to the United States just before she became the wife of the subject of this sketch. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Sterrenberg resulted in six children, as follows: John P., Henry L., William G., Louis J., Fred H. and Dena M. Louis J. holds the office of Postmaster of Charlotte, and acts as agent for the American Express Company. On political questions Mr. Sterrenberg has always been a supporter of the Republican party. He and his helpful wife are members of the German Lutheran Church.
See photo here
BERGAN, James, for a long period one of the most successful farmers in the vicinity of Chatsworth,Ill., an extensive landholder, and an honored veteran of the Civil War, now a resident of Chatsworth, Livingston County, was born In County Kilkenny. Ireland, May 18, 1842, at the age of eight years was brought by his parents to the United States, landing at Staten Island, N. Y., and three years later accompanied the family to Peoria, Ill., where be worked as a farm hand until 1862. He then rented a farm, but in the midst of the first harvest, enlisted in the army, joining Company E., Seventy-seventh Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, which was attached to the Thirteenth Army Corps. He served under Grant and Logan, took part in the Siege of Vicksburg, and at Johnston's evacuation of Jackson,Miss., hauled down tte Confederate flag, one of the enemy meanwhile covering him with a gun.Following this act, Col. D. P. Greer promoted him "for gallant conduct," and this flag is still preserved as a trophy at Peoria. In July, 1864,he was captured at Fort Gaines, Ala., and was one of the eight prisoners first taken into Mobile. Some of the enemy's officers were in favor of shooting this squad, but the privates interceded in their behalf and their lives were spared.Women in the streets spat in their faces. Mr. Bergan was later taken to Andersonville Prison, where a filthy garb was substituted for his uniform.He was one of the 37.000 Union prisoners,who, during the war, were confined In that fateful enclosure of seventeen acres, where, within the limits of the historic stockade, the death rate was 137 per thousand. Famine stared them in the face. Capt. Wertz, the Commander, repeatedly cutting off the rations for two days at a time,this being done because of Capt. Wertz's dis-satisfaction over the fact that two-thirds of the camp cast their vote for Abraham Lincoln. Mr. Bergan was confined ten months and three days at Andersonville, bis weight during this period being reduced from 165 to 110 pounds. But three of the men captured with him came out alive.
In June, 1868, Mr. Bergan located in Livingston County, Ill., and on June 9, 1874, was married to Mary Boyle, a native of Ireland, and daughter of Patrick Boyle, who was born in County Louth, Ireland, in 1814, and died at the home of his daughter Mary, in Chatsworth, Ill.,April 2. 1891. For many years he had been a farmer in the State of New Jersey. Eight children were the offspring of this union, as follows:William B., Thomas F., John IL. Catherine L., Anastachia M., Mary E., James M. and Joseph J.Of these, William E., who was born September 14, 1876, and married Florence Jemson, is employed at the State Reform School in Pontiac.Thomas F., born in 1877, married Kate McGuire, and operates the old home farm. John H., aged twenty-nine years, married Lizzie Sullivan and is a stock buyer at Pipe City, Ill. Catherine L. married James Goggans, a farmer of Charlotte Township, where she now lives. Anna M. is the wife of Frank O'Brien, a farmer in Peoria County, Ill.; Mary E. married Charles Shaughnessy, a farmer near Piper City. James MI., aged twenty two years, married Gertrude Shaughnessy, and follows farming three miles south of Chatsworth, Joseph J., aged sixteen, is a High School student, living at home.Mr. Bergan owns two farms, the home farm containing 320 acres, and the Chatsworth Township farm, three miles southeast of the village,comprising 180 acres. For many years he was one of the largest stock-feeders in Livingston County, feeding as many as 300 head of cattle at one time. In 1903 he removed from the Chatsworth Township farm to the village of Chatsworth,leaving both farms to the management of his sons.
Politically, Mr. Bergan is a Republican. He has served seventeen years as School Director;twelve years as Road Commissioner, and as Township Supervisor until be took lip his residence in Chatsworth. He was instrumental in enlarging the County Farm, and in rebuilding the County buildings. Fraternally, he is connected with the Knights of Columbus, and is a popular comrade of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr.Bergan and his wife are members of S. S. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, of Chatsworth.
Mr. Bergan was a member of the committee appointed by the Board of Supervisors of Livingston County—Hon. Ira M. Lish, now State Senator from the Livingston District, then being Chairman of the Board—which had charge of the construction of the monument in honor of the soldiers of the Civil War from Livingston County,which was completed in 1903, being located in the northeast corner of the public square in Pontiac.The other members of the Committee were Hon. M. Cleary, of Odell Township; Ira M. Lish of Saunemin; J. C. Deamer, of Union; D. AI. Wilder, of Waldo; J. W. Hoover, of Pontiac; and A. H. Haag, of Cullom. Mr. Bergan represented Charlotte Township, and served as Chairman of the Committee. After visiting and examining monuments in different parts of the State, the contract for the erection of the monument was let to Messrs. Merkle Brothers, of Peoria, who were the lowest bidders, the cost being $12,153.50, borne by the taxpayers of Livingston County.This monument will compare favorably with any other of its kind in the State, and is a tribute to the patriotism of the soldiers of the Civil War period, in which the citizens of Livingston County take a just pride.
See photo here
HITCH, Stephen S., whose early experience as a farmer in Livingston County, was of the most strenuous character, whose record of gallant service during the Civil War was most creditable, and who afterwards became one of the most prominent citizens of his locality, where he is now living in retirement, was born at Wisbeach,Cambridgeshire, England, April 8, 1838. His father was Robert Hitch, a farmer, who together with the mother, Mary (Sharp) Hitch, came to to El Paso, III., where the former followed his accustomed occupation throughout the remainder of his life. Both parents died at EI Paso. They had a family of seven children, four of whom are living. Stephen S. Hitch was fifteen years old when he arrived in this country. He located at Washington, Ill., where he first worked as a farm hand, moved to El Paso, Woodford County, in 1854, where he resided and was engaged in farming until 1862. He had bought a farm in 1860 and sold it in 1862. In 1862, on August 27, he enlisted at EI Paso, in the Fourth Regiment Illinois Volunteer' Calvary, fighting under Gen. Grlerson and other noted cavalry leaders.He was with that famous officer in his memorable raid through Mississippi, and was almost continuously under fire during the period of his active service. He was mustered out at Memphis,Tenn., June 15, 1865, having had an army career such as few privates in the great conflict ever excelled in constant and perilous activity.Mr. Hitch is a member of Eben G. Trask Post,No. 388, Grand Army of the Republic. On returning from the War he devoted his attention to farming, acquiring a handsome competency and ultimately relinquishing active exertions for a life of leisure. In 1865 he bought eighty acres on Section 4 Chatsworth Township, and in 1890 forty acres in Charlotte Township.On June 17, 1864, Mr. Hitch was married to Henrietta Hitch, who was born in England and came to El Paso, Ill., in 1855. One son and one daughter resulted from this union, of whom the latter is deceased. The son, Dick W. Hitch, conducts the operation of the home farm. He married June 22, 1898, Miss Sadie Dann, of Chatsworth,Ill. He and his wife are the parents of three children: Alfred S., Irene Kate and Florence.
Politically,Mr. Hitch has been a Republican since the organization of that party. He served seven years as Chairman of the Oliver and Corn Grove Drainage Board; as Township Assessor one year; seven years as President of the Board of Highway Commissioners, and as a member of the Board of Education for six years. He attends religious services at the Baptist church, and his fraternal affiliation is with the A.F. & A.M. Chatsworth Lodge No. 539.
See photo here
LAWLESS, Patrick, in his day a well known farmer of Livingston County, Ill., who, through industry, perseverance and economy, accumulated large landed properties in the vicinity of the village of Chatsworth, was born in County Aleath, Ireland, and in company with his mother and his brother William, came to the United States shortly after attaining his majority. They lived at Camp Grove, Marshall County, Ill., a number of years, and for a considerable period,he and his brother were partners, this connection lasting until his marriage to Catherine O'Neill, also a native of Ireland, who had been in this country some time.He acquired a farm in Marshall County, and in course of time moved to Livingston County,locating in Germanville Township, where his son,Patrick. Jr., was born August 20, 1872. When the latter was six months old, the subject of this sketch returned to the same farm in Marshall County which he had continued to own. Aboutten years later, Patrick moved again to Livingston County, settling on a place two miles east of Chatsworth, known as the "Beet Farm." his other son William, occupying the Marshall County property. This was soon sold, however,and William came into possession of a farm in Germanville Township, as a gift from his father. Patrick Lawless lived on the "Beet Farm" until Patrick, Jr., was eighteen years old. About that time he bought the present homestead near the site of the beet-sugar factory, and planted it in wheat. This farm, which adjoins Chatsworth,consisted of 144 acres, formerly owned by a Mr.Remsberg, who erected the house now standing about where the beet-sugar factory stood which had disappeared. Here Patrick Lawless died, his widow being now a resident of the village of Chatsworth, living with her daughter,Mrs. John C. Corbett. Their family numbered six daughters and two sons who reached years of maturity, one son having died in childhood.Their names are as follows: Willlam, who lives in Charlotte Township, a mile north of Chatsworth;Mary (Mrs. Andrew Kane), of Peoria,Ill.; Lizzie (Mrs. W. F. Harney), of Pontiac,Ill.; Maggie (Mrs. John Cooney), of Charlotte,Ill.; Kate (Mrs. James McGuire). of the same place; Bertha, who married Thomas Lawless, an attorney in Chicago, and Jennie (Mrs. J. 0.Corbett).
Patrick Lawless, Jr., farmed the old "Beet Farm" when eighteen years old, and then, after spending two years with his father, returned to it in 1893, and operated it until 1807. He received 240 acres from the paternal estate, and added more until that farm comprised 360 acres.In 1807 he bought from his mother the old home at Chatsworth. The homestead place has two sets of buildings. Besides his general farming operations, Patrick, Jr., has devoted his attention to breeding draft horses, producing some excellent specimens. He has sold the highest priced horses ever disposed of in his locality,often keeping as many as thirty high-bred animals. He has laid a great deal of tiling, and made other extensive improvements. The original cost of the old place was $27 per acre,for which he paid $55 per acre. The latter is now worth from $130 to $150 per acre.Patrick Lawless, Jr., was married at twenty-three years of age to Ella Ryan, who died between four and five years after her marriage,,leaving three children, namely: Patricus, James and Ella. For his second wife, he married Katie Kerrins. daughter of Thomas Kerrins, formerly a farmer in Charlotte Township, where Mrs.Lawless was born. Two children have resulted from this union, Mary and Catherine. The father of these five children is a Democrat,politically, and has served as School Director,although he has not taken an active part in politics. In religious faith, he is a Catholic,his parents having been among the number who organized the Catholic Church of the township,of which they were always earnest supporters.
STANFORD, David J., a prominent citizen of Chatsworth, Ill., and at present County Surveyor of Livingston County, was first elected to his present office in the fall of 1878, and has been continuously re-elected since that period, so that he has served in this same capacity for thirty years. Fully half of his work has been in connection with Livingston County drainage matters, and plans for public and private drainage elsewhere. He has also had charge of extensive drainage enterprises in Iroquois County, Ill., and in the State of Iowa.
Mr. Stanford was born In Oneida County, N. Y., October 15, 1836, and grew to manhood on a farm. After receiving a common school education he taught school for a time, and then pursued a scientific course in Whitestown Seminary. Ten years of his time were spent farming and teaching, and at the end of this period, in 1861, he came to Illinois. In the summer of 1862 be enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Fourth Regiment Illinois A7 Volunteer Infantry at Ottawa, LaSalle County, and served in the Army of t he Cumberland, taking part in t he battles of Stone River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. On December 7, 1862, the brigade to which his regiment was attached was captured, and, after being paroled, was sent to Parole Camp at Columbus, Ohio. It was exchanged and subsequently stationed at Camp Douglas, Chicago, on guard duty. Next, it was ordered back to Tennessee. Mr. Stanford was discharged from service in the winter of 1862-03 at Chattanooga, Tenn., on account of physical disability.
Mr. Stanford was a Corporal, and during his period of service was detailed for duty at brigade headquarters, and at times, in the quartermaster 's department. On returning to LaSalle County, IlI., he taught school for a while, and in 1866 bought land in Charlotte Township, Livingston County, two miles northwest of Chatsworth, following farming until 1878, although he taught his home district school and the Chatsworth school in 1868-60. The latter school then had four teachers and occupied two buildings. His associates in teaching were Misses Henderson and Hall, the latter a niece of A. H. Hall, and Miss Jennie Lucas.
Up to that period Mr. Stanford had only practiced surveying locally, but in 1878 be was elected County Surveyor and his services were in great demand. About that time three railroads were built across the country and a number of new towns were laid out, greatly increasing the duties devolving upon the surveyor's office. The Legislature had also passed a drainage law, establishing drainage districts, and as a result tile-draining was beginning to be in vogue. His work has also involved the laying out of city sewers, etc., and thus his thirty years in the county surveyorshlp have been a busy period.
In 1901 he moved from his farm to Chatsworth. The marriage of Mr. Stanford took place in LaSalle County on January 1, 1866, to Lydia F. Robinson, who was born near Portland, Maine, and was brought to LaSalle County by her parents when twelve years of age. The children resulting from this union are as follows: Alice L. (Mrs. James Heald ), who lives in Monroe County, Mo., where Mr. Stanford owns a stock farm; Albert D., who is connected with the elevator at Bardolph, Ill.; Fred C, formerly manager of the electric light plant at Chatsworth, and now General Manager of the Idaho Consolidated Power Company, at Pocatello, Idaho; and M. Myrtle, wife of Charles B. Curtis, Manager of the Chatsworth Telephone Exchange.
Mr. Stanford is a charter member of the Illinois State Society of Engineers and Surveyors, and for many years has been an expert in his profession. Politically, he is an old time Republican, and has always been prominent and active in the affairs of his party. He is President of the Chatsworth School Board, and holds other local offices.
SMITH, James A.—The history of Livingston County is very closely interwoven with the records of some of its citizens, for it has been their deeds that have developed this part of the State, and made the present prosperity possible. Among the families whose names are household words in this county is the Smith family, one of its most prominent representatives being the Hon. James A. Smith of Chatsworth.
Mr. Smith was born in Vermilion, Ohio, on the shores of Lake Erie, August 6, 1845, a son of Aaron Burr and Eliza Lucinda (Erwin) Smith. Aaron B. Smith was born at Morristown, N. J., but moved to Ohio after his marriage, and thence to Ottawa, Ill., in 1846, with his family, and there he died in 1887. Aaron B. Smith was one of the noted attorneys of his day, and was concerned in much of the litigation brought before the courts of this State. He was father of the bill presented to the State Legislature, providing for free public schools in Illinois, and especially for one in Ottawa.
After having passed through the graded schools of his adopted town, Ottawa, Mr. James A. Smith took the full high school course, and then studied law under his father, but when he was seventeen, he became bookkeeper and cashier for Alschular & Co., of Ottawa, and held that position until he located in Chatsworth, Ill., in 1867. He then came to that city to engage in a grain business, there having been a favorable opening for it, and he carried it on successfully until 1880. He invested his money in gilt-edged realty loans, and amassed a comfortable fortune. In 1880 he bought the "Chatsworth Plaindealer," and developed it into one of the most reliable and popular organs of his part of the State. He still continues In charge of it, although his personal affairs are so heavy that he is forced to give them considerable attention.
Mr. Smith has been one of the leading Democrats of the State, serving as Representative from Livingston County, in the General Assembly for three terms ( the 36th, 37th and 38th Assemblies), and was most active in all. During the session of t he Thirty- sixth General Assembly, he was a member of the Committee on Education, and rendered good service on it. As Chairman of t he Committee on Municipal Affairs of t be Thirty-seventh Assembly, his work was most important, as it was during the Thirty-eighth, when he was Chairman of the Committee on Congressional Apportionment. He was on the steering committee during all three terms, and during the last two was disciplinarian of the steering committee. Mr. Smith had the honor of being one of the memorable 101 who cast their votes for General Palmer and was of the steering committee who managed so skillfully as to finally to elect General Palmer to the United States Senate, as a Democrat, being the only Democratic Senator from Illinois since the War.
Not only in State affairs has Mr. Smith been popular, but has served as President of the Village Board of Chatsworth, during his incumbency effecting some notable reforms. Many much needed improvements were inaugurated, including the establishment of a good system of water-works, an electric-light plant and four miles of brick sidewalks laid. His thirteen years of service—nine years in succession—ended in 1895. For a quarter of a century Mr. Smith has been a member of the Chatsworth School Board, and for a number of terms has been i ts secretary. His Interest in public schools has never wavered, and he is always in close touch with t he schools, and understands their needs perhaps better than any other man in Livingston County.
Mr. Smith has served his party as delegate to all of the important county, State and Congressional Conventions for t he past twenty-five years, and was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention at St. Louis in 1888. He was not in sympathy with the platform promulgated by the Chicago Democratic Convention of 1896. He is a most thorough believer in t he fundamental principles of Democracy, and both personally and through the medium of his paper, he has always supported measures he believed to be for the best interests of his party. Not only does he own one of the finest residences in Chatsworth, besides other property, but has large interests in the South, owning two cotton plantations, in Mississippi. While he has been devoted to his business interest s, Mr. Smith has ever found time and opportunity to take a public-spirited share in the welfare of his town, and county, and has supported every measure which, in his opinion, would operate to the advancement of the community, or would benefit the citizens of Chatsworth.
MURTAUGH, Frank, a thoroughly enterprising and prosperous farmer in the vicinity of Chatsworth, Livingston County, Ill., was born in that locality, October 31, 1861, a son of Owen and Bridget (Lawless) Murtaugh, whose birth occurred in the vicinity of Dunclalk, County Louth, Ireland, that of the former taking place June 8, 1826. Owen Murtaugh died at Chatsworth, Ill., May 11, 1904, his wife having passed away some years previous, leaving two children,— William M. and F r a n k.
The parents came to the United States, unmarried, in 1852, later being married in Marshall County, Ill. On arriving in this country the father spent a short time in Binghamton, N. Y., then removing west to Chicago, traveling partly by water and part y by stage-coach. For three years he worked on a farm near Amboy, Lee County, Ill., and then took passage for California, via New Orleans and the Isthmus of Panama. He went up the San Juan River and Lake Nicaragua, to within twelve miles of the Pacific Coast, covering this distance on horseback and going by steamer to San Francisco. After spending two years in California, working most of the time in the gold mines of Placer County, with fair success, he returned to Illinois by way of the Isthmus and New York, and bought a farm of eighty acres in Lee County, which he sold soon afterwards, later purchasing a quarter-section in Marshall County. This he also sold, investing in 160 acres in Section 1, Pella Township, Ford County. In 1869 he moved to a farm of 320 acres, which he had bought a mile further east in Ford County, to which, in course of time, he added 120 acres by another purchase. After withdrawing from active business pursuits in 1890, he disposed of the 120-acre tract, retaining ownership of the half section originally purchased. He was the first School Trustee in Pella Township, and in Ford County served several terms as Highway Commissioner. In June, 1873, he made a visit of three months to his aged parents in Ireland, with whom he had kept in constant touch by correspondence. As soon as possible after locating In Illinois. Owen Murtaugh had been naturalized and was ever after faithful to the obligations of citizenship.
The second marriage of Owen Murtaugh took place in 1865, when he was wedded to Alice Cleary of Wilmington, III., their union resulting in three children: Mary, Eugene and Alice. Mary died March 21, 1869. Eugene was fatally injured by a kick from a horse, dying June 8, 1891, when on the threshold of vigorous manhood. Alice continues to live with her mother, comforting her declining years. The Rev. Willam M. Murtaugh, the elder son by the former marriage, was educated in Montreal, Canada, and Baltimore, Md., and was ordained in Peoria to the Catholic priesthood in 1886. He was priest in charge of Keithsburg, Ill., for ten years and is now in the tenth year of h is pastorate at Sheffield, Bureau County, Ill.
Owen Murtaugh was a man of cheerful disposition and kindly manners, and was charitable to every deserving cause. He was a devout Catholic and solemn requiem high mass was celebrated at his funeral, fourteen priests attending, the Knights of Columbus taking part and a throng of mourners from a distance being present to render heart-felt tribute to his memory.
Frank Murtaugh was reared on the homestead place, and received his education in the district schools of the neighborhood. He has devoted his entire life to farming and stock-raising, and is regarded as one of the most successful and substantial farmers of his Township. He has always taken a good citizen's interest in public affairs, and bears the reputation of being a dutiful and useful member of t he community. He continued on t he home farm for about two years after leaving school, and then went to Kansas, where he proved up a quarter section of government land. He was there engaged in buying and selling stock and breeding fine horses, and also conducted a stage-line from Sycamore, Kan., to Richfield and Frisco, Kan., which he continued more than a year, when he went to San Diego, Cal., then sold his interests, and returned to Illinois, where he bought 160 acres in Charlotte Township and improved it. He made several trades, finally locating where he now lives. This property he has greatly improved, and has an elegant country residence, large barns, and in all is owner of one of the best farms in Livingston County. Besides his 160 acres in Livingston County, he owns 160 acres of well improved land in Iowa, and a half-section in Kansas.
On November 27, 1890, at Fairbury, Ill., Mr. Murtaugh married Miss Sarah Agnes Harrington, a daughter of James and Bridget (McGreat) Harrington, both natives of Westport, County Mayo, Ireland. Mrs. Murtaugh was born in Indian Grove Township. Livingston County. Her parents came to America, unmarried, the father in April. 1842, and his wife three ye a rs l a t e r. Mr. Harrington located in Mobile, Ala., upon coming to America, and from there went to Cincinnati, Ohio, fifty years ago coming to Livingston County, where he bought forty acres of and in Indian Grove Township. While in Cincinnati be worked for $6 per month, regularly sending part of his earnings to his mother in Ireland, and at the same time attending a night school to educate himself. He sold his first land purchase, later made several other purchases, and selling his lands at an Increased price, finally removed to Yates Township, McLean County, where he bought land and lived there until 1888, when he located in Fairbury, III. Mr. Harrington owns over 800 acres in McLean County, and 200 acres in Livingston County. His wife died in 1900, but Mr. Harrington survives and now makes his home in Fairbury. He is a Democrat, but never cared for public office. He is a devout Catholic.
Mrs. Murtaugh was the third of a family of six children. Mr. and Mrs. Murtaugh have had the following children: one son Owen, who died at the age of eight years; Agnes, Marcella, Hazel Gertrude and James Francis. Mr. Murtaugh is a Democrat, but has never cared for political preferment. He and his family are members of the St. Peter 's and Paul 's Catholic church at Chatsworth. Ill. Mr. and Mrs. Murtaugh are giving their children a splendid education. Agnes and Hazel are attending the Villa de Chantal at Rock Island, Ill.
McKINLEY, Robert, a well known and worthy farmer, of Charlotte Township, Livingston County, Ill., was born at Hyde Park, N. Y., May 14, 1872, a son of Robert and Lucy (Maxwell) McKinley, natives of Scotland, the father 's birthplace being in Ayrshire. The latter, a landscape gardener by occupation, came to Canada at the age of thirty-five years, going thence to Hyde Park, N. Y., whence he moved to Illinois in 1874. While a resident of Hyde Park, he married Lucy Maxwell, who now makes her home with her son William on the old homestead, the father having died in 1904. Their family consisted of two sons and two daughters, all of whom are living. Robert McKinley, the son, was two years old when his parents moved to Livingston County, where he received his education in the common schools. Since early manhood he has devoted his attention to farming, his labors being attended with profitable results. On January 12, 1898, he was united in marriage with Mary Spray, born in Livingston County, Ill., and their union has been blessed with one boy, Clarence, now eight years old.
In politics Mr. McKinley is a supporter of the Democratic party, and has served the public in local affairs. His religious connection is with the Congregational church.
McCABE, George W., cashier of the Commercial National Bank of Chatsworth, Ill., and a highly reputed financier of Livingston County, as well as a man very prominent in connection with the public affairs of Chatsworth, was born in the vicinity of Brimfleld, Peoria County. Ill., March 1, 1863. His parents were Patrick and Catherine (Fox) McCabe, natives, respectively, of County Meath and County Louth, Ireland.
Patrick McCabe came to the United States in 1845, landing in New Orleans. He was a soldier in the Mexican War under Gen. Scott. In 1850 he was married in New Orleans to Catherine Fox, she having arrived in this country in 1840. Shortly after their nuptials, they came up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, and thence by way of the Illinois to Peoria, locating on a tract of land near Brimfielcl in the same county. T he place was new, and the father Improved the farm, following the occupation of a farmer successfully for many years. About 1895 he with drew from agricultural pursuits, removing to Peoria where he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives in retirement. The birth of George W. McCabe took place on the farm in Peoria County already mentioned, and his preparatory education was obtained in the district school nearby, and in the Brimfleld High School. Subsequently he pursued a course of study in St. Viateur 's College, at Bourbonnais, Ill., and still later, studied bookkeeping, and banking in Bryant & Stratton's Commercial College in Chicago. In 1891, he commenced reading law with his brother, Edward D. McCabe, a well known attorney of Peoria, and in April, 1893, located in Chatsworth for the purpose of entering the banking business. After carefully investigating the advantages of the location, he opened a private bank which rapidly acquired a good patronage. So successful was the enterprise that it developed into the Commercial National Bank which was chartered in 1900. Associated with him as Directors in the institution are: John P. R y a n; John C. Corbett; Fred M. Bushway of Chatsworth and Edward D. McCabe of Peoria. Mr. McCabe has been the active manager of the bank. The capital stock is $25,000, with a surplus of $5,000. The average earnings have been twelve per cent, and the bank now owns the building occupied for its business. The deposits amount to $250,000. In 1904 Mr. McCabe bought a controlling interest in the Farmers National Bank of Strawn, Ill., of which he is now the President, and is also connected with the Smith Dry Goods Company, of El Paso, Ill., a strong concern. Jointly with John P. Ryan, Mr. McCabe owns a plantation of 1,110 acres at Dublin, Miss., especially adapted to cotton growing, the supervision of which is entrusted to a local manager, the entire attention of Mr. McCabe being devoted to the financial transactions of the banks. He is an active member of the Illinois Bankers Association, and of the American Bankers Association.
On September 29, 1897, Mr. McCabe was married to Theresa M. Kehoe, of Chicago, born and reared in that city. Mrs. McCabe was graduated from St. Patrick's Academy of Chicago, and was a successful teacher In Chicago schools prior to her marriage. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. McCabe: Catherine G., George K. and Edward P.
In politics, Mr. McCabe takes an independent course. For seven years he has served as President of the Village Board, and but once during this period has an opposition ticket appeared at the polls. In the course of his administration of affairs, many public improvements have been made, including five blocks of concrete pavement, and cement sidewalk throughout the town. In 1907 a well, 1,315 feet deep was sunk., costing $4,500, and a pumping station is in process of construction, at an expense of $7,000.
Mr. McCabe's conservative yet progressive banking ability, together with his practical ways, has proven a great help and stimulus to all legitimate business in Chatsworth and vicinity.
KURTENBACH, Peter, for twenty-two years the owner and operator of one of the desirable farms in Livingston County, Ill,, was born in LaSalle County, Ill., in March,. 1855. He is a son of John and Mary (Kline) Kurtenbach, natives of Germany, who came to the United States in 1858, continuing to Illinois and settling In LaSalle County, where the father followed farming. He and his wife had one other child besides the subject of this sketch. His first wife having died. John Kurtenbach married a second time, five children resulting from the latter marriage.
Peter Kurtenbach was reared on the paternal farm in LaSalle County, and has followed farming very successfully in Livingston County since 1886. In 1873 he was united in the bonds of matrimony with Mary E. Oliver, who was born in Livingston County, and they became the parents of four sons and five daughters. Two of the sons are conducting separate farms belonging to their father. In politics, Peter Kurtenbach is a supporter of the Democratic party, and his religious faith is that of the Catholic Church. He has rendered good public service in the office of School Director of his township for thirteen years.
GROTEVANT, Joseph B., formerly a farmer, but in more recent years a successful grain dealer in Charlotte, Livingston County, Ill., and a man who has always taken an active and prominent part in public affairs, having served as Clerk and Supervisor, of Charlotte Township, was born in Peoria, Ill., December 26, 1804. His father, Albert Grotevant, was a native of New York State and a farmer by occupation, while his mother, Mary E. (Burrows) Grotevant, was born in London, England. The parents settled in Livingston County in 1888, and Albert Grotevant died in Charlotte, February 29, 1903, his wife having passed away in Chatsworth, Ill., December 17, 1900, when about sixty-three years old. During the Civil War the father was a soldier in the Second Regiment Illinois Artillery, for a year. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom nine are still living. The subject of this sketch, who was the fourth in order of birth, was reared in Peoria, where his education was obtained in the public schools. When seventeen years old he went with his parents to Tazewell County, Ill., and after living there a few years, they located in Chatsworth Township, Livingston County, where Joseph B. Grotevant was engaged four years in farming, and then commenced dealing in grain at Healey and Charlotte, in which under taking he has met with success.
Mr. Grotevant was married in Tremont, Tazewell County, June 24. 1891, to Alice McLean, who was born in that county, a daughter of David B. McLean, a well known farmer there. Two children have blessed their union, namely: Grace and Eugene.
In politics, Mr. Grotevant is a Republican. For several years he held the office of Clerk of Charlotte Township, and in the spring of 1906 was elected Supervisor. He served as Justice of t he Peace a number of years. On September 1, 1908, Mr. Grotevant assumed the position of Manager of the Chatsworth Electric Light Plant In fraternal circles, he is affiliated with the Modern Woodmen of America.
GOEMBEL, John.—Farming as a business h as attracted to it many of t he solid, substantial men of all farming communities. These men know how to till their land so as to bring forth the best results, and to wrest from the soil a good income. Their neat premises, comfortable home, spacious barn, and well-fed stock, all testify to their prosperity. Their black soil produces wonderful crops, especially in Illinois, that great farming state, and in Livingston County, the conditions a re particularly favorable for the farmer.
John Goembel of Strawn, Ill., is one of t he best representatives of Illinois farmers to be found in this part of Livingston County. Mr. Goembel was born in Germanville Township, Livingston County, Ill., February 10, 1870, a son of William Philip and Elizabeth (Shroen) Goembel. William P. Goembel was born in Breitenbadam, Hertzberg, Kurhessen, Germany, February 20, 1833, while his wife was born in Niederauta, Kurhessen, Germany, February 5, 1845, and died January 16, 1901. The father was a farmer and is now living retired.
Mr. Goembel was educated in the public schools of his neighborhood, and, after leaving the farm in Germanville Township with his parents in the fall of 1880, he settled in Strawn, Ill., and as soon as old enough he began to assist his father in the grain and lumber business. In the spring of 1894 Mr. Goembel began farming on his present property, a fine farm of 120 acres, which he owns and operates, devoting his attention to general farming purposes.
In political views, Mr. Goembel is a Democrat, and in the spring of 1901 be was elected Supervisor on t he Democratic ticket, has been re-elected at each successive election, and at present is holding this important office and giving entire satisfaction to all parties concerned. In 1898, Mr. Goembel joined the M. W. of A.; in 1902 he joined t he K. of P. and he has filled all the offices in these local camps, and local lodges, and is at present K. of R. for the K. of P. In religious matters, he is a member of t he German Lutheran church, and one of its most liberal supporters.
On December 25, 1893, Mr. Goembel married at Greenwood, Neb., Laura Alice Walling, who was born, reared and married in t he same house. Her father died March 24, 1899, and her mother, surviving him until November 17, 1907, died on that date. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Goembel are as follows: Marguerite F., born December 11, 1894; William Philip, born August 9, 1896; Tebitha E., born September 8, 1901; and John, born January 11, 1908. Mr. Goembel is an excellent farmer, a good business man and, as a public official, his record is unsullied. He has always done what he believed to be his duty, and has endeavored to be a good neighbor, a kind and loving husband and father, and has succeeded in becoming an exemplary citizen, who is held up as a model to others.
GLABE, Sebastian, an Intelligent and thriving farmer of Germanville Township, Livingston County, Ill., where he has born, the reputation of a worthy and reliable member of the community for many years, was born in Farmdale, Tazewell County, Ill., July 31, 1859, a son of Jacob and Katharina (Stein) Glabe, natives of KerHesen. Germany, of whom the former was born in 1815 and the latter in 1816. Their marriage took place in the fatherland in 1846, and two years later, they emigrated to the United States, proceeding to Illinois and settling in Tazewell County, where Jacob Glabe took up a tract of land at Farmdale. This he cleared and improved, following farming thereon up to the time of his decease, on July 12, 1892. The mother survived her husband until 1898, passing away at Farmdale. T heir family consisted of six sons and one daughter.
Sebastian Glabe, who was the youngest of this family, was reared on his father 's farm, and received his education in the district schools. In early life he became associated with his brother Henry, who was an architect, contractor and builder, but later, his occupation was that of a mechanical engineer for several years, his residence being at Holton, Kan., where he and his brother-in-law erected the Municipal Electric Light Plant. Since 1890 he has been located on his present farm, where he is the owner of 160 acres of fine land and his labors have been attended by profitable results.
On December 31, 1885, Mr. Glabe was married to Katharina Ruppel, of Livingston County, III., whose parents, Henry and Angelina (Berlett) Ruppel, were natives of the same province in Germany in which he was born. They came to this country in 1850, and lived ten years at Washington, Ill., moving thence to the homestead farm in Germanville Township, now operated by the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Glabe's father, Henry Ruppel, is now in his seventy-eighth year, but hale and hearty, and enjoys regular daily rides on his bicycle. Mr. and Mrs. Glabe have nine daughters, as follows: Laura; Nellie, a teacher of music; Luella, Esther. Ruth and Rachel (twins) ; Eva, Alice, and Seberta.
Politically, Mr. Glabe is a supporter of the Republican party. He and his excellent wife are members of the Evangelical church. He has held all the local offices and is now a Justice of the Peace, School Director, and has been Commissioner of Highways nine years.
GINGERICH, John W., for many years one of the most extensive and favorably known farmers in the vicinity of Chatsworth, III., and now living a retired life in that village, a man long prominent in connection with local affairs, was born in Hessen, Germany, in February, 1841. In 1852, he was brought to the United States by his parents, Michael and Magdalena (Otto) Gingerich, who located at first in Maryland, and thence, in the spring of 1853, moved to Peru, Ill., where the father began farming near Tonica, LaSalle County. There he continued many years, dying at the age of eighty-nine years, two weeks after the death of his wife. He was a successful farmer, a worthy man and a good citizen. He and his wife had four sons, namely: Joseph, formerly a farmer, of LaSalle County, who died at Pana, Ill.; Jacob, formerly a farmer of Livingston County, Charlotte Township, who settled there about the year 1867, and died at the age of forty-two years; Otto, who remained on the homestead, where he died in 1905; and John W. John W. Gingerich stayed at home until he was twenty-four years old, coming to Livingston County in 1867, and buying at $15 per acre, eighty acres of raw prairieland lying half a mile from his brother's farm in Charlotte Township, and four and a half miles northwest of Chatsworth. He lived on that farm until the spring of 1906, having increased his holding in the meantime until it comprised 560 acres, for some of which he paid as much as $125 per acre. The entire property is now worth $150 per acre. It contains three sets of buildings, and was operated wholly by its owner while he lived there. It is well tiled and is considered one of the best farms in the township.
In 1868, Mr. Gingerich was married, at Minonk, Ill., to Agnes Miller, a native of Scotland, who came to this country when quite young. She died in 1894. Eight children were born to this union, as follows: Ella, wife of William Barner, of Sullivan Township, Livingston County; Charles, who is on the old homestead farm; Joseph, who occupies a portion of the same farm ; Preston, a farmer near Dwight, Ill.; John, who follows farming in Kansas; Frank, who is in partnership with his brother Charles, on the homestead farm; and Agnes, who is her father 's housekeeper. One died in infancy. In 1906.
John W. Gingerich withdrew from active business, and has since lived at Chatsworth in retirement, retaining possession of his farms. In politics, Mr. Gingerich has always been a Democrat, in earlier life attending his party's conventions, and taking an active part in local affairs. He served eight years continuously as Supervisor, and held other township offices. Fraternally, he is affiliated with t he A. F. & A. M,, belonging to Chatsworth Lodge, which he joined many years ago.
ELLINGWOOD, Charles Victor, M. D., whose reputation for ability and skill in the medical profession extends throughout Livingston County, Ill., and who has also figured prominently in connection with the civic affairs of Chatsworth, was born at Eastport, Washington County, Maine, October 12, 1858, a son of Capt. Marshal A. and Matilda (Pendleton) Ellingwood, the former of Grand Menan Island, and the latter of Deer Isle, on t he coast of Maine. The father was a seaman by occupation, and at the age of nineteen years, became captain of a merchant vessel. His wife often accompanied him on his voyages, visiting England, France and other foreign countries. In 1870 Capt. Ellingwood located at Whitewater, Wis., where he followed farming, finally retiring from active business, and dying in 1898. Since his decease his widow has made her home at Chatsworth with her son, Dr. Ellingwood. One other son. Clarence, was born to their union, who spent his life in Whitewater, Wis., dying in 1904.
In early youth. Charles V. Ellingwood attended the district and High Schools and the Whitewater Normal School, afterwards learning telegraphy and becoming an operator in that line. Continuing in this occupation until 1885, he then entered the Bennett Medical College, of Chicago, from which institution he was graduated in 1887. On August 9th, of that year, he happened to be in Chatsworth, the day before the memorable wreck on the Toledo, Peoria & Western Railroad, at that point. It was by mere chance that he was in the village at the time of that disaster, being simply on a visit to his old friend, Dr. Vaughan. He was at once pressed into active service, however, in caring for he suffering victims of the catastrophe, and this occasion led to his making the place his permanent residence. For a week after the wreck he was in almost constant attendance upon the injured, his skill and assiduity being warmly commended. The experience thus gained proved of great value to him in his subsequent practice. At a later period (1895), he took a post-graduate course In t he Polyclinic Hospital, Chicago.
On September 23, 1883, Dr. Ellingwood w as married to Fannie A. Bentley, a native of Michigan, and a daughter of Henry J. Bentley, who settled in that state at an ear y day, going there from New York. The father of Mrs. Ellingwood moved from Michigan to Wisconsin when she was a child, and died at Chatsworth in 1905. Two children were the issue of this union, namely: Lulu A., who was educated in St. Mary's College, of Notre Dame University, and became the wife of Frederick Walrich, a merchant at Piper City, Ill.; and Jennie, who is now a student in the same institution.
Dr. Ellingwood has acquired an extensive practice in Chatsworth and its environs. Politically, he is a Republican, and was for two years a member of the Board of Village Trustees, and for nine years, of the Board of Education, serving as President of that body three years. He has been Secretary of the Livingston County Board of Pension Examiners. In fraternal circles, he is identified with the A. P. & A. M., belonging to the Blue Lodge, Chapter, Commandery, Consistory, and Mystic Shrine, and Kankakee Lodge No. 627 B. P. O. E .; also Livingston Lodge No. 264. Knights of Pythias; is a member of the American Medical Association; the Association of Railroad Surgeons; is also a member of the Illinois State Medical Society and the Livingston County Medical Society; is a member of the Illinois Athletic Club of Chicago, and the Chicago Automobile Club. Dr. Ellingwood is local surgeon for the Illinois Central Railroad.
DOOLITTLE, James Scott—The veteran of t he Civil War, today is an object of veneration to the younger generation, for in him is embodied all the heroic characteristics of which men like to hear. It was given to him to make a great sacrifice, to risk his life to prove his patriotism, and all honor is due him. It took no small amount of courage for those brave boys of 1861 and 1865 to leave their homes and go against the enemy, and they should be given all credit that they did not shrink back, but stood by their country in her hour of need.
Livingston County, III., is the home of many of these veterans, who, returning from the battlefields, resumed t he peaceful occupations of ordinary life and rounded out their days with business duties faithfully discharged. Among them is James Scott Doolittle, of Chatsworth, Ill., now r e t i r ed from business cares. Mr. Doolittle was born at St. Marys, Camden County, Ga., December 9, 1828, a son of Alfred and Martha (Scott) Doolittle, the former born at Virgennes, Vt, in October, 1800, while his wife was born in Georgia in 1803. Alfred Doolittle came of a good old English family, which is traced back to t he sixteenth century, his wife being of Scotch ancestry. When James Doolittle was five years old be lost his mother, and some years later the father re-married. His father was in a general merchandising business, manufactured cotton-gins and was postmaster at St. Marys, Ga., for some years, but in 1848 he moved to Springfield. Mass., where he engaged in the manufacture of flour. In October, 1851, he came to Ottawa, Ill., with his entire family and began farming.
James Doolittle was educated in the common schools and academy at St. Marys, and he assisted his father in the store and postoffice, when not in school. When they moved to Springfield, Mass., he served an apprenticeship, and worked as a machinist until the removal to Ottawa, III. when he resumed his work at his trade. After his marriage in 1856, be began farming, being thus engaged until the outbreak of the Civil War, when he enlisted. He was appointed Fourth Sergeant of the One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, commanded by Col. Moore of Ottawa, III., and was mustered in at Ottawa. He served about one year, when he was discharged for disability incurred during his period of service. In 1865 he removed to an unimproved farm four miles south of Chatsworth, which he improved and put under cultivation. In 1873 he located in the village of Chatsworth, where he engaged in t he dry-goods and grocery business, which he continued for seven years. At the expiration of that period he embarked in the furniture and undertaking business, and after twenty years in that line, retired in 1904.
Mr. Doolittle is a Democrat in political opinions, and has served very acceptably as a member of the Board of Education of Chatsworth for five years, as member of the Village Council for two years, as Township Collector eight years, and as Assessor for three years. He has always been interested in all public measures which appeared likely to prove beneficial to his community, and has always been a loyal and true citizen. Mr. Doolittle is a Presbyterian in religious faith and belongs to t he Church of that denomination at Chatsworth.
On June 3, 1856, Mr. Doolittle was married at Ottawa, Ill., to Jemima Emerson Armstrong, born in Ottawa, Ill., March 27, 1837. She is a grand-daughter of Joseph Armstrong a native of Ireland, who came with his nine sons to Licking County. Ohio, in 1811, from Somerset County, Pa. His son, William B. Armstrong father of Mrs. Doolittle was born in Licking County, Ohio, October 25, 1814, came to Illinois with the rest of the family in 1831, and died November 1, 1850. He was a very prominent man, serving for many years as Sheriff of Grundy County which he had helped to organize, and was one of its first settler s. He married Sarah Ann Strawn, daughter of Joel Strawn, a brother of Jacob Strawn, the "cattle king" of Illinois. The Armstrongs and Strawns were very well known all through the state, and owned and developed a vast tract of land.
Mr. and Mrs. Doolittle have had the following children: Frank W., born July 3, 1857; William A., born October 29, 1859; Alfred, born November 12, 1861; Emma A., born November 7, 1874, and Mary I., born January 31, 1877.
Hall, Emery Stanford, Architect of 332 South LaSalle Street, was born Nov. 25, 1865, in Chatsworth, Ill. Since 1897 he has practiced architecture in Chicago. Ex-President of the Illinois Society of Architects.
BURKE, Rev. Father William J., one of the most highly efficient and deeply respected of the younger members of the Roman Catholic priesthood in Illinois, and rector of St. Peter and St.Paul's Catholic Church in Chatsworth, Livingston County, was born at Ottawa, Ill.. December 23, 1868. a son of Patrick and Margaret (Cummlngs) Burke, the former a native of County Tipperary, Ireland, and the latter born in Canada of English ancestry. Patrick Burke, formerly a merchant and a member of the firm of Burke & Heenan, of Ottawa, was taken to that place when a child. Both parents are deceased.
The early youth of William J. Burke was passed in Ottawa, where he attended school, continuing his education in the University of Notre"Dame, at South Bend, Ind., by taking a clerical course. After finishing his studies there, he taught two years in St. Viateur's College, at Bourbonnais, Ill., then resuming his theological preparation in St. Bernard's Seminary at Rochester, N. Y., under Bishop McQuade, at that time one of the faculty of that institution, and by whom he was ordained to the priesthood in June,1900. He next became assistant priest to Bishop O'Reilly, of St. Patrick's, in Peoria, continuing thus four years. Following this, he spent about two years in charge of the parish at Ashkum,Ill., locating in Chatsworth, November 1, 1905.He had built the first parochial residence at Ashkum, but on moving to Chatsworth found the church edifices in complete order. The parish under Father Burke's charge has about 175 families, and besides ministering to these, he is occupied to a considerable extent with mission work, and in organizing Catholic societies and other churches, in which effort he was engaged for three years, spending several weeks alternately in each place. He also delivers lectures on miscellaneous subjects at various points, and altogether, has had a very busy and successful ministerial experience since assuming his present charge. Father Burke is greatly beloved by his parishioners.
CORRIGAN, John.—The life record of such men as John Corrigan should be an inspiration to the youth straggling against odds for supremacy in agriculture, for he has demonstrated that success may come from earnest and unremitting devotion to duty, without the aid of superior education or influential friends and money at the outset of one's career. Air. Corrigan's life began on a small rented farm in County Cavan, Ulster, Ireland. December 25, 1834, where in boyhood he attended the public schools of his native land about seven years. His parents, Patrick and Alice (Connelly) Corrigan, were in very moderate circumstances, and were never attracted by the superior opportunities which drew their son away from his heavily taxed and oppressed fatherland.
The lad in time began to work for other farmers in -County Cavan, and in 1863 emigrated to New York City, where he found employment for about three months. He then came to Napervllle, DuPage County, Ill., where he worked on farms, and in December, 1863, married Jemima Dunlap, also born in County Cavan, and who had come to America on board the same ship as her husband. Airs. Corrigan is a daughter of Wilson and Latica (Eckels) Dunlap, who never came to America. Air. Corrigan worked out for a year after his marriage, then operated rented farms for some years, in time purchasing eighty acres of land near Chatsworth, Ill., to which he later added forty acres more.
In 1883, Mr. Corrigan sold his land near Chatsworth,removing to Amity Township, and that he there found the proper place for his energy and ambition may be believed when it is known that, in a comparatively few years, he became the owner of over a section of land, at one time paying taxes on more than eight hundred acres.He also owned a farm of 480 acres near Pipestone, Minn. He turned his attention principally to stock, raising the best of horses, cattle, sheep and hogs, and also dealt quite extensively in real estate in the country and towns of the county. His death, March 31, 1905, concluded what had been a really successful career, and pointed an emphasizing finger at the qualities of persistence, good judgment, thrift and business sagacity. Of his personality only the best may be said, and of his generosity many exist who can testify that they owe their start in life to his disinterested kindness and assistance. Amity Township, which his career so conspicuously developed, will long profit by his efforts and example, for all but one of his living children acknowledge this as their home, and his children's children doubtless will help to till these fertile acres. The old home place is at present operated by his oldest son, Peter, who was born in February, 1865. The next son, Eugene, died at the age of twenty-seven years; Mary E. is the wife of James Wallace, of Amity Township; Hugh lives on a farm in Minnesota ; James resides with his mother; Alice is the wife of Ray Snyder, of Amity Township, and Margaret is the wife of James Grant, of the same township.
Gingerich, William, was born at Kur-Hessen, Germany, April 14, 1842, and at the age of nine years emigrated to America with his parents. Resided in Maryland one year and then removed to Putnam county, Illinois, where he received a common school education. January 1, 1864, he enlisted in Co. B, 64th Illinois Infantry, served during the remainder of the civil war, and was discharged July 20, 18?5. He then engaged in farming in Livingston county, Illinois, for several years, and was a breeder of fine stock. For four years was a dealer in coal and fuel at Chatsworth, Illinois. In 1889 came to South Sioux Falls, and resided there until he removed to Ehvood, Iowa, but in 1896 he returned to South Sioux Falls, where he has since resided, engaged in the fuel and grain business. Mr. Gingerich has held some official position during all the time he has resided at South Sioux Falls, and is an enterprising, upright citizen.
From: By John Licinius Everett Peck, Otto Hillock Montzheimer, William J. Miller
FREDERICK W. GRENDING.
One of the thriving merchants of Gaza, O'Brien county, is worthy of our notice at this time because, being a young man, he has risen rapidly to the position he now occupies, and stands for the progressive spirit which is abroad among our young people.
Frederick W'. Grending was born in the year 1885 in the city of Colfax. Illinois. His father, August Grending. is a native of Germany, where he was reared and educated. In his youth he longed for new scenes and new faces and for the larger opportunities of which he had heard in the New World, and in the year 1862 he undertook the journey across the broad Atlantic, going, directly after landing on American shores, to the city of Joliet, Illinois. Here he remained for thirteen years, plying the trade which had been taught him in the fatherland, that of harness making. While here, he met and married Julia Frohnhoff. In the year 1877 he migrated with his family to the little town of Chatsworth. Illinois, where he remained until 1881, continuing his vocation. In this year he removed to Colfax, and for nine years more continued to labor at his trade of harness making. All these years he had labored at the one occupation and as the years went by he wished for a change, and when the opportunity presented itself, he purchased a confectionery, which has proven a successful venture for him and where he is still engaged in business.
Six children were born to this worthy couple, as follows: Emma, now Mrs. White, who resides in Colfax, Illinois; Ida and Carl, both of whom were called from their parents by the grim death angel; Ricka and Edwin, both of whom are residents of Colfax, and Frederick, of Gaza, Iowa.
The immediate subject of this article, Frederick Grending, attended the elementary and high schools of Colfax, and soon after his graduation accepted employment as an assistant to the depot agent for the Illinois Central Railroad in his home city. In the year 1905 he was promoted to the position of relief agent, working at various places along the line. He remained at this work but a year, when he was again promoted to the position of depot agent at Edna, Lyon county, Iowa. In 1907 he was given the position of depot agent at Gaza, and this position he filled with great credit until the year 1912. But the monotony and confinement of this position began to pall and he sought for an opportunity to establish a business for himself, he having had some experience in mercantile life while attending high school at Colfax. At that time he worked during his spare time in a general store, and as he saw the growth of the town of Gaza and the opportunity which appeared to open before him, he resolved to attempt the promotion of such an enterprise here. Hence, in 1912, the store was opened, and its proprietor has spared no amount of energy and time to build up the business and establish himself in a permanent position for the future. Success is sure to follow where industry is directed by sound judgment and business acumen, and the steady growth of the store owned by Mr. Grending is no exception to this rule.
In the year 1909 Mr. Grending was united in marriage to Ethel Wilkinson, of Gaza, she being the daughter of Noah Wilkinson, of that place. Three years later a little son, Howard, came to bless and brighten their home, and one more incentive to labor with the best effort possible was given to Mr. Grending.
Socially, Mr. arid Mrs. Grending are very popular in the circles of Gaza. They are members of the Congregational church of this place and deeply interested in the various departments of its work.
Politically, Mr. Grending is a strong adherent of the principles promulgated by Jefferson and consistently votes the Democratic ticket. Fraternally, he is a member of Rising Star Lodge No. 496, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at Primghar.
In manner Mr. Grending is genial and unassuming, and by his upright business methods has won the confidence and respect of the community in which he resides. Having shown so well his capabilities at an early age, we predict for the young man increasing prosperity and affluence.
By South Dakota. Legislature, South Dakota. Bureau of Public Printing, South Dakota. Dept. of Finance. Division of Purchasing and Printing
A. C. Roberts, (Rep.) was born at Oberlin, Ohio, December 25, 1853. Graduated from the Chatsworth, Illinois, high school and studied law and was admitted to practice in Illinois and South Dakota. Has resided in South Dakota since 1883 and has engaged in the mercantile business and farming. At present is retired from business. Mr. Roberts was a member of the state senate in 1893, and.has held many local offices.
See his picture here.
ROSS S. WALLACE. The popular and efficient manager of the Peoria Gas & Electric Company, with offices at No. 316 Jefferson street, is Ross S. Wallace, who has filled that position with this company since 1908. He came to Peoria in 1900 and obtained the position of chief engineer for the concern of which he is now serving as general manager. His ability soon won him promotion and at the end of three years he was made department superintendent and later general superintendent. Mr. Wallace was born in Chatsworth, Illinois, December 9, 1869, the son of Robert R. and Louise (Strawn) Wallace. The father is now a practicing attorney at Pontiac, Illinois, where he has followed his profession for a number of years. He is a veteran of the Civil war, serving four years and retiring with the rank of captain. He has long been associated with the professional and political affairs of Livingston county, having for twenty years filled the position of county judge. The Wallace family came originally from the north of Ireland, its first representatives emigrating to the new world in or about 1750. They participated in the Revolutionary war and representatives of the family on the maternal side were identified with the "boys of '76."
Michael Reising, engaged in the general mercantile business, Chatsworth, Illinois, is a native of Hanover, Bremen, Germany, and was born July 17, 1838. He is the son of George and Margaret (Reising) Reising who, although of the same name, were not related. Both are natives of Bavaria, Germany, where they were married. By occupation George V. Reising is a farmer in his native land, a vocation which he followed throughout life. With a view of bettering his condition he left the old world, with his family, when our subject was but a few weeks old, coming to the United States and direct to Woodford County, Illinois. On his arrival in the latter county he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land, only one acre of which had been plowed. Clearing the land of its timber he commenced the improvement of the farm and later added to its area by the purchase of eighty acres from the government and forty acres from another man. With the exception of two years spent in Peoria, Illinois, he spent the remainder of his life on that farm, dying when sixty one years old. His wife died when she was forty seven years old. They were the parents of six children that grew to maturity and two that died in early childhood.Those who grew to man and woman were Peter, Adam P. Mary, Michael, Elizabeth and Annie. All are yet living save Elizabeth.
The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on his father's farm in Woodford, a county in Illinois, and as the opportunity was afforded him attended the common subscription school, having to walk a distance of two miles to the school house. He would only attend a few weeks in the winter, as his services were needed on the farm at other times. He remained at home until he attained his majority, when he rented land and engaged in farming for himself. After the death of his father he went to Tazewell county, where he rented a farm and engaged in its cultivation for two years. From Tazewell he returned to Woodford county and bought eighty acres of land near El Paso, which he farmed for about three years.Selling this place he moved to Claremont county, Ohio, where he remained for four years. He then returned to Woodford county, Illinois, and engaged in farming for two years, he next came to Chatsworth Illinois, and purchased the general store of Mrs. Barbara Scherer, and here he has since continued to reside. In 1883 Mr. Reising met with a serious misfortune that left him thirty five hundred dollars worse than penniless, but with the sturdy determination that characterizes the German race he would not own that he was beaten, but pushed forward in the face of obstacles that would have dismayed almost any other man, and by dint of hard work and perseverance succeeded in again establishing himself in business. After a few years, however, seeing that he was paying out his profits for rent, he assumed fresh indebtedness and built the fine store building that he now owns. Few men could have accomplished what Mr. Reising has, being forced as he was to start over the battle of life at almost fifty years of age. For the past twenty years Mrs. Reising has been engaged in the millinery business in connection. She has a good trade and gives satisfaction to all her patrons.
On the 24th of January, 1860, Mr. Reising was united in marriage with Miss Margaret Pfarr, a native of Claremont county, Ohio, and daughter of George Pfarr, a native of Germany, who came to this county when a young man, locating in Claremont county, and later moving to Woodford county, Ill. Mrs. Reising is one of a family of six children, the others being Barbara, Mary, Peter, Kate and John. Of these Barbara and Peter are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Reising have no children of their own, but have an adopted son, Joseph, who bears their name. Mr. and Mrs. Reising are members of the Catholic church, and in Politics he is a democrat, having voted the party ticket since attaining his majority. He has served several terms as a member of the village board of trustees of Chatsworth, but has no inclination for office holding. He prefers to give his time and attention to his business and work for the interest of the people in selling them goods at living prices. He aims at all times to carry as complete a stock of goods as the wants of the community will warrant. His residence of twenty seven years in Chatsworth has made him many friends.