Obits from the Chatsworth Plaindealer 1942

Names are in Orange and dates in (Orange) have been added by me according to the publishing date of the Plaindealer.


JANUARY 1, 1942

Henry Lee Brammer, a resident of Chatsworth community for 45 years, died at 2:10 a.m. Wednesday, December 24, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond McKitrick in Pontiac. He had attained the age of 87 years.
Funeral services were held Friday afternoon from the P.L. McGuire funeral home at 1:30 and in the Methodist church at 2 o'clock. The pastor, Rev. M.L. Sullins officiated. Interment was made in Chatsworth cemetery.
Henry Lee Brammer, the youngest of nine sons of Roland and Catherine (McCorkle) Brammer, was born July 5, 1854, in Lawrence county, Ohio. His family tree shows the source of his middle name; his grandmother was named Mary Lee of the Virginia Lees and his relationship to Gen. Robert E. Lee was said to be that of a second cousin.
He spent his boyhood and young manhood in eastern Ohio, just across the West Virginia border and had vivid recollections of stirring Civil War events close to his home.
He was married twice, the first time in 1874 to Emma Lake, who died in 1880. Three children were born of this union, the firstborn, a daughter, Mahala, died at the age of 2 years. The survivors are Stella, Mrs. Austin Childers, of Chesapeake, Ohio, and Albert Brammer, of Sheldon, Illinois.
Mr. Brammer married Dora Milstead March 6, 1885. Her death occurred November 13, 1931. Of their family of eight the following survive: Elmer, of Dupree, South Dakota; Bertha, Mrs, James Makinson, Forrest; James, living in British Columbia; Mrs. Osie McIntyre, Toronto, Canada; Lonnie, Sioux City, Iowa; Elsie Piccola, Mrs. Frank Pemberton, Bloomington, Indiana; Everett, Wilmington. The eighth child of this family, Mrs. Nellie Hicks, died in 1929.
In early life Mr. Brammer belonged to the United Brethren church; upon the family's removal to Chatsworth his affiliations were with the Methodist church. Besides his membership in the Modern Woodmen of America, he was not allied to fraternities. He was considered a good citizen, a good father and neighbor. For many years and until his death he was one of the trustees of Chatsworth cemetery. One of his most pronounced characteristics was a steadfast and uncompromising adherence to his convictions.
He came to Chatsworth 45 years ago and remained here continuously. His first employment was with the elder William Lawless. A few years later he engaged in farming on one of John Puffer's farms. He afterwards purchased a small tract and home just west of Chatsworth, which he sold after the prolonged illness and death of his wife, and came to live in town. 
For many years he was the victim of a consuming illness which brought about his final retirement a few months ago to the McKitrick home in Pontiac where his death occurred.
See memorial here. 

JANUARY 8, 1942

Sadie H. Shaffer, 50, wife of Ralph M. Shaffer, died at 8:45 o'clock Wednesday evening, December 24, at her home, 2006 Wright Street, Logansport, Ind. Death was caused from heart trouble. She had been shopping in the afternoon.
She was a daughter of the late Charles W. Stephens and Mary C. (Pearson) Stephens; a niece of Elmer and Edwin Pearson of Chatsworth and of their brothers and sisters. 
She was a step-daughter of Mrs. Margaret Stephens, of Chatsworth, who spent much time in Logansport taking care of Mrs. Shaffer during a long period of failing health. Mrs. Stephens went to Logansport December 26 to attend the funeral.
Sadie Stephens was born south-east of Chatsworth, on the Stoutemyer farm, October 16, 1891.
Surviving are he husband; a daughter, Mary Elizabeth; sister, Mrs. J.F. Kneeper, Clare, Mich.; a brother, Lester Stephens, Flint, Mich. 
She was an active member of the Methodist church and of the Pythian Sisters. The Pythian Sisters held ritualistic services at the McCloskey Chapel in Logansport, Friday evening.
Funeral services were held at 2 o'clock Saturday at the chapel, Rev. True S. Haddock officiating. Interment was made in Mt. Hope Cemetery, Logansport.
See memorial here.

JANUARY 15, 1942

Charles E. Haase, 68, died at his home, 3 1/2 miles northeast of Chatsworth, Saturday (Jan.10) forenoon about 9 o'clock. 
The body was taken to Piper City and the funeral services held from the Houk funeral home Monday afternoon, January 12 at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G.A. Reinhardt, pastor of the Presbyterian church. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery where his parents and other relatives are buried.
Charles E. Haase, son of Henry and Christina Haase, was born on October 21, 1873, at the family homestead northwest of Piper City. He was one of a family of seven children. In this community he was reared and grew to manhood and for a number of years engaged in business in Piper City and this vicinity.
He was twice married, his first wife, Olga Wienand of Chatsworth preceded him in death.
In the year 1900 he united in marriage to Mable Meisenhelder and to this union three children were born, all of whom survive him: Mrs. Inza Thompson, of Piper City; Meritte, of Paxton, and Louise Forster, of Bedford, Indiana. There also remain two brothers, William of Piper City and Fred, of Jefferson, Iowa.
For the past seven years he has lived with his brother, William, on the homestead and has been in failing health for the past year or two but confined to his bed for only the last week. 
For a number of years the family lived at Bushnell and Moline, Illinois, returning to Piper City in 1921.
In boyhood he was confirmed in the Lutheran church to to which his family belonged.  
He was a great lover of flowers and fruits and the country home acquired an enviable reputation for beauty. He also prided himself on his culinary ability and was awarded several prizes in competition for canned fruit and pies he had prepared. 
He and his brother, who kept bachelor quarters kept their home and constantly worked to improve it and the soil which made them their living. He spent much time in reading up on soil improvement and gave away flower seeds in quantities for several years. He also kept close tab on weather conditions and preserved temperature and other readings. As his strength failed he was compelled to give up some of his cherished ambitions and for several months before the end, seldom left the farm.
See memorial here. 

JANUARY 15, 1942

Mrs. Ann Quantock, resident of Livingston County for many years, died at 1 o'clock Monday afternoon, January 12, at her home northwest of Chatsworth. She was 87 years old and had been ill about three weeks. 
Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Thursday at the home, being conducted by the Rev. Homer Delap, pastor of the Methodist church of Forrest. Interment was made in Pleasant Ridge Cemetery. 
Ann Gibb was born in Somerset, England, July 1, 1854, the daughter of Samuel and Mary Gibb. Four daughters and three sons survive her: Mrs. Elizabeth Erickson, Gardner; Mrs. Myrthl Faragher, Chatsworth; Mrs. Lola Yants, Cowden; Fred, Argyle, Michigan; Samuel, Wesley and Miss Jennie, all at home.
See memorial here.

JANUARY 29, 1942
Mrs. Marie Hoppe, 91, died in a Bloomington Hospital this morning about 1 o'clock from injuries she received the previous night in a fall down the basement steps of her home in Chatsworth. Funeral services will be conducted Saturday afternoon from the home at 1:30 and the Chatsworth Lutheran Church at 2 o'clock with the Rev. A.F. Karsten in charge. Burial will be in the Chatsworth Cemetery.  
Mrs. Hoppe had gotten up about 4 o'clock Wednesday morning and mistook the door leading to the basement for the one to the toilet and fell to the landing. Her daughter, Mrs. Theodore Gerdes and husband, who came recently to live with Mrs. Hoppe, heard the noise of the fall and found Mrs. Hoppe conscious both with both wrists broken and injuries on her head. She was taken to the Bloomington  Hospital in the Roach Ambulance. Physicians did not think she was injured internally and that death was due largely to shock and advanced age.  
She was born in Germany October 15, 1859, and came to America when 17 years old to Danforth. She met William Hoppe and was married to him. He was a blacksmith in Danforth at that time and later the family came to Charlotte, in both of which villages Mr. Hoppe conducted a blacksmith shop. Later they moved to a farm they had acquired west of Charlotte and some 22 years ago retired to Chatsworth. Mr. Hoppe died 17 years ago and for some time following the marriage of her daughter, Marie, now deceased, she resided alone. A few months ago when her eyesight began to fail, her daughter, Mrs. Julia Gerdes, and husband came from Indiana to reside with her.  
She was a woman beloved by all her acquaintances and regardless of her advanced age, retained her keen intellect to the end.
Surviving are three sons and two daughters, namely: Adolph Hoppe of Genoa, Illinois; Herman Hoppe of Kingston, Illinois; and George Hoppe of Chicago. The daughters are Mrs. Sena Jacobs of Dixon, Illinois and Mrs. Julia Gerdes of Chatsworth. Three children, Anton, William and Marie, preceded their mother in death.
See memorial here.  

JANUARY 29, 1942

Hal C. Bangs, 63, died at Passevant hospital in Chicago Saturday (Jan.24) night at 7:30 from  heart attack.
He was born October 8, 1878 in Chatsworth, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Bangs. 
The elder Bangs conducted a drug store in a building on the site of the present Citizens bank some forty years ago and the family resided on the site of the present Miss Mary Lawless residence property. 
Hal had one brother, Clarence, who resides in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 
Funeral services were held at the home in Chicago Tuesday at 3 pm and the body was taken to Cynthiana, Kentucky for burial.

FEBRUARY 4, 1942

Mrs. W.F. Harney, a sister of Patrick J. Lawless, of Chatsworth and who was a resident of Bloomington, died at 8:30 p.m. Sunday, February 1, in St. Francis hospital, Peoria, after several months illness. 
Funeral services were held Wednesday forenoon, from the residence, 508 Douglas Street, Blooming, at 10 o'clock and in Holy Trinity church at 10:30. Interment was made in St. Patrick's cemetery, Chatsworth.
Elizabeth Lawless, daughter of Patrick and Catherine O'Neil Lawless, was born near Camp Grove, Illinois. She had resided in Bloomington since moving there from Pontiac 28 years ago. Her husband, W.F. Harney; two daughter, Mary Bernice and Viola May, and two sisters and two brothers preceded her in death. 
She is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Katherine Killian, of Bloomington; three sisters, Mrs. Mary Cain, of Peoria, Mrs. J. McGinn, of Bloomington and Mrs. T.J. Lawless of Riverside; and one brother, Patrick J. Lawless, Chatsworth.
See memorial here.

FEBRUARY 12, 1942

Mrs. Julia Watson, widow of James H. Watson, died at her home near August, Wisconsin, on Monday, February 9.
The body was brought to the Roach funeral home in Chatsworth and lay in state until the hour of funeral at 2 o'clock Wednesday afternoon in the Methodist church where services were conducted by the pastor, Rev. M. L. Sullins. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery. 
Deceased's maiden name was Rose and she was a sister to the late John Rose, of Chatsworth. She was married here to James Watson. Later the family moved to Chicago, where Mr. Watson died March 15, 1912, and was buried in the Chatsworth cemetery on March 17, 1912.
Surviving is one daughter, Mrs. Mary Behrns, of Augusta; two sons, Roy and John in Chicago; a brother-in-law, George Watson; and a niece, Mrs. Julia Boughton, Chatsworth.
See memorial here. 

FEBRUARY 12, 1942

Jerry Gelmer, 57, resident of Iroquois county the past ten years, died Friday (Feb.9) morning at his home two miles west of Crescent City. 
Funeral services were held on Monday afternoon from the residence and one-half hour later from St. Peter Evangelical Lutheran church with the Rev. H.E. Bruns officiating and burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Born Nov. 25, 1884, in Charlotte township, he was married March 31, 1917, to Angelina Rosenboom, who survives, together with one brother, John Gelmer, of Chatsworth. His parents and two brothers preceded him in death.
Mr. and Mrs. John Gelmer and daughter, Delena, and Mrs. Jonas Hill, of Chatsworth; Mr. and Mrs. John Flessner and Mr. and Mrs. George Kingdon, of Cullom and J.H. Gelmer, of Gilman, were among those attending the funeral.
See memorial here. 

FEBRUARY 19, 1942

Miss Mae Stoutemyer, 66, former school teacher and librarian of the public library at Onarga, died Sunday (Feb. 15) at Kankakeee hospital. She had been in ill health the past six years. 
Funeral services were held at 2:30 o'clock Tuesday afternoon at Onarga with the Rev. James Saint Jr., past of the Presbyterian church, officiating and burial was in Onarga cemetery.
Born Nov. 26, 1875, at Chatsworth, the daughter of L.L. and Anna Stoutemyer, she was educated at Grand Prairie seminary, taught school there and then went into the library work. 
Surviving are brothers, Ross, of Chatsworth, and John, of Kearney, Nebraska. 
The family moved from the community of Chatsworth to a farm south of Onarga in 1890 and continued to make that village her home following the death of her parents.
See memorial here.

MARCH 12, 1942

Henry E. Berlet, of Washington, Illinois, and a former Chatsworth resident was critically injured about 6 o'clock Sunday  morning on Route 66, at the outskirts of Chenoa. He was taken to the Pontiac hospital where it was found he had a punctured lung and bad lacerations. He died Tuesday (Mar.10) at 8:38. 
Mr. Berlet was found pinned in a car which apparently belonged to W. Espenscheid, of near Pekin. It appears he had left home to go to the home of his brother, Edward, near McDowell, south of Pontiac and failed to make the curve at the north edge of Chenoa on Route 66 and struck a tree on a gravel road. He was unconscious when found about 6:30 and did not again regain consciousness it was reported. He had left home early, it was claimed, to reach the home of his brother before the latter had intended leaving for Chatsworth. 
The body was brought to the Roach funeral home in Chatsworth to be prepared for burial. While there were no laceration of the flesh the chest bones were crushed and the lungs punctured. There was also a knee wound and face lacerations. 
Mr. Berlet was born at Sibley May 18, 1898, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Berlet. He lived in and around Chatsworth all his life until August, 1941, when he moved to a farm near Washington.
He married Miss Hazel Smith, of Cropsey, in 1922. She survives with 10 children. Remmer, James, Phyllis, Neva, Irene, Billie, Anna Mae, Dorothy Jean, Norma Lee and Thomas, and three sisters: Mrs. Anna Stoyer, of Gibson City; Mrs. Luella Rudolph, Springfield; Mrs. Nellie Gusa, Cropsey, two brothers, Ed, Pontiac, and William, Gibson City. 
A sister of Mr. Berlet, Mrs. Christina Zohn, of Augusta, Ill., was killed in  an automobile accident last November.
Funeral services for Mr. Berlet were held this afternoon at two o'clock at the Evangelical church with Rev. J.V. Bischoff, pastor of the church in charge. Burial was in Germanville cemetery. 
Note: Although the spelling is Berlet in this article, the correct spelling is Berlett.
See memorial here.

APRIL 2, 1942

Peter Leo McGuire, Livingston county coroner and funeral director at Chatsworth, died at his home Friday (Mar.27) morning about 8:15 o'clock following a heart attack suffered one hour previously. 
The body laid in state in the funeral home until 11 o'clock Monday, March 30th for services in Saints Peter and Paul's church in Chatsworth. Monsignor J.P. McGuire, a brother of the deceased, of Rockford, celebrated solemn requiem high mass, assisted by 31 visiting clergymen. The body was taken to Wenona for burial Monday afternoon.
The casket bearers were W.C. Quinn, C.L. Ortman, Dick Weller, Homer Gillett, Frank Trunk, Joseph Rebholz, Clair Kohler and L.J. Ribordy. 
A trio composed of Mesdames James Franey, E.B. Herr and Lester Hubly sang the requiem mass.
The funeral was the largest held in Chatsworth in a number of years being attended by relatives and friends from far and near. Thirty of the 32 members of the Livingston county board of supervisors attended in a body as did county officials from the court house. 
Bishop Hoban, of Rockford diocese, participated in the services at the church and Rev. Father KIllderry, Erie, Ill., a lifelong friend of Mr. McGuire, delivered the funeral sermon. 
He was born July 27,1894 in Whiteside county, near Sterling, son of Peter and Winifred McGuire. He married Miss Kathryn Healy at Wenona, Jan. 10, 1917. He came to Chatsworth in March 1924. He was first employed by J.E. Roach as an undertaker, later opening his own funeral home which he operated until the time of his death.
Surviving are his wife; one son, Joseph; two sisters, Mr. Mary Langan, Cedar Rapids, Neb. and Mrs. Katherine Devine, Sterling; three brothers, J.P. McGuire, of Rockford; Martin, Aurora and Joseph of Cedar Rapids, Neb. 
He was a member of SS.Peter and Paul's Catholic church and a Fourth degree Knights of Columbus, and a member of the Modern Woodmen Lodge. 
Mr. McGuire was elected coroner of Livingston county on the Republican ticket in November, 1940 for a four-year term. 
The coroner's two deputies, Frank Lester, Pontiac, and Dr. F.H. Miller, Fairbury, automatically go out of office with the death of Mr. McGuire. Justices of the peace would hold inquests until the successor is named.
The county court house was closed Monday morning from 10 to 12 o'clock for the funeral. 
That the deceased had many friends was attested by the very large attendance at the funeral. He was a good citizen, recognized as one of the best funeral directors in this section of the state, made a fine record as coroner and lastly was loved and revered by his family. He had suffered from a bad heart for several years and was near death's door several times yet through it all was cheerful and hopeful to the end. 
Among the near relatives who came to the funeral were Mrs. Mary Langan and Joseph McGuire, of Grand Rapids, Neb.; Mr. and Mrs. M.E. McGuire, of Aurora; Mrs. and Mrs. W.E. Devine, sons, Robert and Lee and daughters Geraldine and Emogene of Sterling; Mr. and Mrs. Albert Relland, of Sterling; W.P. Jensen of Princeton; Joseph Miller, of Sterling; Mrs. John Grennan, Mr. and Mrs. N.H. Ebersole, Mr. and Mrs. Ed McCormick, Jack McCormick and Mr. and Mrs. Koner Drophy, of Sterling; Mr. and Mrs. Mark Healy and family and Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Helander, of Wenona; Mr. and Mrs. L.W. Seilmyer, Saunemin; Mr. and Mrs. E.C. Kennell, Hammond, Indiana; Mr. and Mr. J.P. Kilebar and sons William, Francis and Robert of Wenona.

APRIL 2, 1942

Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon in the Chatsworth Lutheran church for Mrs. Etta C. Boomgarden, who died Friday (Mar.27) at her home, southeast of Chatsworth. Burial was in Brenton cemetery, near Piper City. 
Born August 8, 1868 in Germany she came to America with her parents when six weeks old. Most of her youth was spent at Round Grove, Illinois, where she made her home with an aunt. She was married at Metamora, Illinois to George Boomgarden. Ten children were born of the union, four of whom preceded their mother in death. Those surviving are Ethel, William, Ben, Anton, John and Wilma, all of whom have been at home with their mother.
Mrs. Boomgarden had been ill since last July with a heart ailment which finally caused her death. 
See memorial here.

APRIL 9, 1942

James Richardson Melvin was born near Eden, in Peoria county, Illinois on February 10, 1877, the first of seven children born to Angeline and William Melvin, and passed away at his home near Wing, on April 4, 1942, aged 65 years, 1 month and 24 days. Death came suddenly from a heart attack. 
At the age of about one year, the parents moved to a farm near Wing in Pleasant Ridge township, where Richard, as he was known to everyone, has spent practically all his life. 
After finishing the country school he attended high school in Forrest and Pontiac and the Normal school in Normal. He then taught school for about four years in Livingston county. 
On October 1, 1913, he was united in marriage to Blanche Hagaman at Chatsworth. During his lifetime residence in this community (Wing) he held the office of school trustee for many years. In March of 1926 he was appointed to fill a vacancy in the office of supervisor of Pleasant Ridge township. The following election he was elected to this office which he has held continuously since. 
He leaves to mourn his passing his wife, a sister, Bessie Quantock, of Argyle, Minnesota; a brother, Eldon, of Wing; and a brother Ray, of Peoria. Two sisters and one brother preceded him in death. In childhood he attended the United Brethren church and Sunday school at the old No. 7 schoolhouse, later the church in Wing and the Methodist church in Chatsworth.
Richard was an honorable, highly esteemed, public spirited citizen, who has always been held in highest regard by everyone who knew him and was the kind of person who said nothing at all rather than anything against anyone. 
Short funeral services were held at the home at 1 o'clock Wednesday and in the Methodist church in Chatsworth, at 2 o'clock conducted by Rev. R.D. Folkers, of Bloomington, assisted by Rev. M.L. Sullins, pastor of the Chatsworth church.
Burial was in Pleasant Ridge cemetery near Wing.
See memorial here. 

APRIL 9, 1942

Mrs. James McGinn, a former Chatsworth woman, died at 10 p.m. Friday (April 3) in St. Joseph's hospital, Bloomington. She had been ill about three weeks. 
Funeral services were held on Monday morning at 10 o'clock in Holy Trinity church, Bloomington. Burial was in St. Patrick's cemetery near Chatsworth.
Mrs. McGinn was born at Camp Grove May 27, 1865, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Lawless. She was named Catherine. She was married in Chatsworth to Mr. McGinn in 1894. Most of their married life was spent in Chatsworth and in 1925 they removed to Bloomington. 
Surviving are her husband, sons, William, Chicago; the Rev. Fr. J. 
W. McGinn, of Elkhart and John of Chicago, and a daughter, Mrs. Edward Laffel, Mokena. Also surviving are two sisters, Mrs. Mary Cain, of Peoria, Mrs. T.J. Lawless, of Riverside, and a brother, Patrick Lawless of Chatsworth.
She was a member of Holy Trinity church and of the Altar and Rosary society. 
See memorial here.

APRIL 9, 1942

Mrs. Meta Behrens, 65, of Charlotte, died suddenly Tuesday (Apr. 7) morning at the home of her mother at Stillwater, Oklahoma, of a heart attack. 
Funeral services will be held at the Charlotte River church, Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Burial will be in West Lawn Cemetery, Cullom.
Mrs. Behrens had been in Oklahoma about a month visiting her mother, Mrs. Meta Flessner, who is 85 years old and has been ill. 
The body will be at the Koerner funeral home in Cullom until the hour of funeral.
See memorial here.

APRIL 9, 1942

Albert F. Walter, son of John and Elizabeth Walter, was born March 8, 1863, at Tipton, Indiana, and died peacefully at his home at Chatsworth, on Easter Sunday, April 5, 1942, at the age of 79 years and 28 days. He had been critically ill three weeks. 
He came with his parents to this community in 1866 and lived here ever since.
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, April 7 in the Evangelical church at 2 o'clock, Rev. J.V. Bischoff, pastor, officiating. The Community Choir of which Mr. Walter was a member, sang at the services in his honor. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery. 
When the Walter family came to Chatsworth, the father built a small frame business house in the east business block of Chatsworth in 1866 and conducted a dry goods and grocery store there until the building was destroyed by fire. In 1882 he built the two story brick building on the corner west of the Citizens bank and which Albert Walter owned at the time of his death. He worked with his father in the store as a boy and later succeeded to the business which he conducted until about 1915 when he disposed of the business but retained the building. He continued to handle musical instruments until the time of his death. 
April 20, 1915, he was elected mayor of Chatsworth in the hottest village election that had ever been held here and was elected over J.A. Kerrins, being the only man elected on his ticket. He served two years and made one of the best mayors the village ever had. He stood for progress and improvement and was ever aggressive for the best interest of the community. He declined to accept the office again at the close of his term. He served as school treasurer of the township for the past 38 and 1/2 years and for the past eight years has been president of the Citizen's Bank. All these duties he performed carefully, punctually and with credit. He served as choir leader of the Evangelical church for 40 years since its organization. He was also president of the Community Choir since it was organized in 1935. He was a Sunday school teacher in the Evangelical church for many years and also leader of the mid-week prayer service.
His unselfish spirit was manifested in a most beautiful way, when at the time  of an accident which cost the lives of Mrs. Walter's sister and husband, the Broughs, they took into their home the orphaned children, Margery, then 14 years of age and Benjamin, 12, and extended to them parental love and care as if they were their own children.
On June 16, 1887 he was married to Miss Emma Elfrink, daughter of the Rev. and Mrs. J.B. Elfrink, of Washington, Illinois. This union was blessed with one daughter. Both, his life's companion and the daughter, Mrs. Alberta Ahrens, preceded him in death. Mrs. Walter passed away Aug. 5, 1934. Since that time he preferred to live all by himself. Though a man of public-mindedness, yet he loved to be alone for meditation and rest.  
From his close family relations there is only one brother left, George J. Walter, who is mourning the loss of the departed. He will miss him, not only as a brother, but as a real companion through the many years of life. They traveled the road together, counseled together and worshiped together.
See memorial here

MAY 7, 1942

Harvey B. Speer died about 1:10 Sunday (May 3) morning at his home in Watseka. He had been ill for several weeks, suffering from infected teeth and heart trouble. 
He was not feeling very well Saturday evening, but his condition was not considered serious. A sister of Mrs. Speer had come from Chicago to spend the weekend and she and Mrs. Speer were sleeping in an upstairs room and Mr. Speer on the first floor. About midnight they heard Mr. Speer getting a drink of water and at 6 o'clock when Mrs. Speer came downstairs she found him dead, apparently having died in his sleep. 
The body was brought to the Roach funeral home in Chatsworth, where funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon at 3 o'clock, conducted by Rev. Edmund O'Connor, of Watseka. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery in the family plot. 
The service at the funeral home was very impressive. Mesdames E.B. Herr and James Franey sang two numbers with Mrs. Herr at the organ. Rev. Fr. O'Connor, of Watseka read a scripture lesson from the Gospel of St. John and delivered an excellent address on life. He said we all had to die and be separated from our loved ones and while words were unavailing to heal the sorrow, we are assured through a Christian life of being reunited again in a short time.
Casket bearers were B.J. Carney, S.J. Porterfield, James Slown, Jerome Baldwin, John Sleeth, Tom Ford, S.H. Herr and Wilford Graham. 
He was born in Chatsworth November 12, 1871, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Speer. Most of his life was spent in Chatsworth, where he attended school and for a time was engaged in the stock buying business with his father. In August, 1905, he began carrying mail on a rural route of Chatsworth and continued in that capacity until December 1, 1934, when he was retired on a pension, having reached the age limit for retirement.
In February, 1935, he was married to Mrs. Agnes Netterville, of Watseka and shortly afterwards took up his residence in Watseka. 
He also leaves one brother, Charles, of Santa Monica, California. His parents and one sister, Myrtle preceded him in death. 
Mr. Speer was a man who made many acquaintances in the Chatsworth neighborhood by reason of his long service as a mail carrier and was always glad to come back for a friendly chat with his many friends.
Years ago he played an instrument with the Chatsworth band, and also with orchestras and had a large acquaintance among the bandsmen. During the twelve years when the writer was closely associated with Mr. Speer in the postal service, we found him always agreeable, punctual and ready to do his part of a job. Quiet and unassuming he made and retained friends who are now shocked to learn of his death.
See memorial here. 

MAY 7, 1942

The body of Terence M. Burns was brought to Chatsworth Sunday afternoon for burial in St. Patrick's cemetery. 
Mr. Burns died in the ordnance hospital near Savannah, Illinois, Thursday, April 30, after being ill about 30 minutes as a result of a heart attack.  
Funeral services were held in the Immaculate Conception church in his home town of Lacon, at 1:30 Sunday afternoon and graved side services held at the cemetery here.
Casket bearers here were James Mauritzen, Howad Mauritzen, Edward Bouhl, John Bouhl, Will C. Quinn, John Feely, Ray Marr and Robert Rosenboom.
Mr. Burns was born at Ashkum and came to Chatsworth in 1903 and engaged in the plumbing business with his brother, Thomas E. Burns. 
While a resident of Chatsworth he was married to Miss Mary Mauritzen, who preceded him in death. He went to Lacon in 1913 and a year later was married to Miss Pearl Goodrich, of Thawville, who with one son, Thomas and a daughter, Miss Eleanor, survive. Thomas is now in government service and stationed at a camp in the south. Miss Eleanor has employment in Peoria. Other relatives are a sister, Miss Mary Burns of Lacon; a sister, Mrs. Catherine Ergang, of Chicago, and one brother, Thomas, of Chatsworth.
Mr. Burns followed his trade as a plumber most of his life, and only recently secured work in the ordnance plant near Savannah. He had always enjoyed the best of health and his death came very unexpectedly. His age was 65 years, 6 months and 23 days.
See memorial here. 

JUNE 18, 1942

A telephone message Wednesday to James Garrity  from Chicago announced the sudden death there yesterday 
(June 17) afternoon of Fred Garrity, a former Chatsworth man. 
Mr. Fred Garrity, a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Malachi Garrity, was born in Forrest township, southwest of Chatsworth, Nov. 25, 1872. He spent his boyhood in this locality and was married in Lincoln, Nebraska, to Miss Gertrude Ryan, also a former Chatsworth girl.
The moved to Chicago 33 years ago where Mr. Garrity engaged in business with his brother, E.C. Garrity, in the wholesale plumbing and heating supply business. Of late years Mr. Garrity was a part of a large company which owned and operated buses in several large cities and was an office executive. His death is thought to have been from a heart attack and was sudden and unexpected. 
Funeral services will be held in Chicago Saturday morning with burial there. 
He is survived by his wife and four daughters, namely, Sister Collett, Indianapolis; Mrs. Robert Bain, Chicago; Mrs. Gordon Kelley, Indianapolis; and Mrs. John Wilson, Kankakee; and the following sisters and brothers; J.W. Garrity, Chatsworth; E.C. Garrity, Chicago; Mrs. J.P. O'Brien, Chicago; Leo Garrity, Chicago, and Sister M. Una, of Washington, D.C. There are three grandchildren, one aunt, Mrs. William Nolan, Odell, and many nieces and nephews.

JUNE 25, 1942

Jacob J. Miller, 79, died at his home northeast of Chatsworth Sunday (June 21) afternoon about 4:45 of acute cardiac failure. He had been ill for some time. 
Funeral services were held in the Roach funeral home Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the Rev. G. Ide, of Cullom. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Mr. Miller was born at Secor, June 15, 1863, and has resided in the Chatsworth neighborhood for many years. Mrs. Miller and one daughter preceded him in death. 
Mr. Miller was married in 1890 to Miss Minnie Smith, of Bloomington. Her death occurred about 24 years ago.
The couple following their marriage lived west of Cullom for about 20 years before moving to a farm south of Chatsworth, and resided in this vicinity for another 20 years before moving to a farm near Piper City.
Surviving are two daughters and two sons, Mrs. Emma Pearson, of Piper City and Miss Minnie and Vernon at home, and Edward who resides near Gilman. 
See memorial here.

JUNE 25, 1942

The body of Bert L. Martin was brought to Chatsworth Monday (June 22) night from Eureka, where he was found dead at the Eureka hotel that morning at 6 o'clock. 
The body rested at the Roach funeral home until Wednesday afternoon when funeral services were held at the Roach Funeral home at 2 o'clock in charge of Rev. M.L. Sullins. Burial was in Chatsworth cemetery.
Mr. Martin was born west of Chatsworth on the property known as the Harriet Linn farm, 67 years ago but for many years had resided in Peoria and Eureka where he followed his trade as a barber, retiring a few years ago. He was a cousin of the later H.B. Speer and attended his funeral in Chatsworth recently. 
His wife, a Peoria woman preceded him in death about two years ago. He has three sisters surviving, they are Mrs. Charles Walsh and Mrs. J.M. Perry, both of Yakima, Washington, and Mrs. Ella Reid, of Santa Monica, California. He had lived at the Eureka hotel for the past two years.
See memorial here. 

JULY 2, 1942

George Watson was found dead in his bed at his home in Chatsworth about 6 o'clock Tuesday (June 30) morning. Death was attributed to a heart disease. He had been suffering for some time with a heart affection, and had been dead about an hour a physician decided. Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 2 o'clock at the home with the Rev. Father Markey officiating. Burial will be in St. Patrick's cemetery. 
The casket bearers will be Wm. Turner, Charles Dorsey, Ray Marr, T.J. Baldwin, Clair Kohler and B.J. Carnery.
Mr. Watson was a lifetime resident of Chatsworth and was born August 13, 1878, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Watson. He was married April 24, 1906 to Mary Ellen Kurtenbach who survives with two daughters, Mrs. Alois (Dellaphine) Nimbler and Miss Margaret; one son, Burnell, all of Chatsworth, and four grandchildren. 
His parents, three brothers and five sisters preceded him in death. At a very early age he was deprived of both parents and helped assume responsibility of maintaining a home for his sister and younger brother. 
He was associated with his father in the mason work until his death in 1897, after which he and his brother, Edward, continued the business. In 1901 his brother, Earl joined them, and continued working until his death in 1936.
In the year 1902 they started a cement block factory at their home and in 1906 moved it to the site of what is now the Clearing Cabinet Corporation. 
He worked with the A.J. Shanks Construction Company, Watseka, since 1924, and in the year 1936 formed a partnership with A.J. Shanks which he carried on until his death. He also operated a hatchery and poultry farm 1917-1929. 
The death of Mr. Watson came as a shock to many friends. For many years he had been engaged in the concrete contracting business and was widely known as he had supervised work over large sections of the state, particularly Livingston, Iroquois and Ford counties. He built a portion of the narrow concrete slab running south from Chatsworth and had built many bridges and abutments and curbings for roads. His last job was near Thawville where he was on the job the day preceding his death. His last large job in the village was the rebuilding of the village water works storage tank and pump house this year. Many of the cement walks in Chatsworth were built by Mr. Watson and his brother, the late Earl Watson. 
He was the last of a family of nine children, four sons and five daughters. The brothers were Earl, Edward and James. The sisters were Mrs. J.Q. (Ida) Adams, Miss Nettie Watson, Mrs. Charles (Manda) Bayston, Mrs. George (Ella) Gay and Gertrude May who died in infancy.
George and Earl worked together for many years and the death about five years ago of Earl was a severe blow to George but he continued with the assistance of his son, Burnell, and other faithful employees, including Leonard French, who has been an employee for many years. 
He was industrious, hard working and numbered many people as his friends who, while it was known that he had been slowed up by a weak heart, were shocked and grieved at his death.
See memorial here. 

JULY 30, 1942

The body of John Benham, 70, was brought from Kankakee on Monday afternoon for burial in the Chatsworth cemetery.
He died Friday  (July 24) night at the home of his sisters, Mrs. Louise Rogers and Miss Ida Benham, following a brief illness.  
Funeral services were conducted at a Kankakee funeral home Monday afternoon at 1 o'clock by the Rev. A.F. Waechter, of the Baptist church. Services at the grave were in charge of Rev. Oscar Creech, pastor of the First Baptist church, Chatsworth.
Mr. Benham was born in Chatsworth March 8, 1872, a son of the Henry Benhams. The senior Benham was employed by the T.P. & W. Railroad at the time of the Chatsworth wreck. Surviving besides the sisters mentioned above are three children. Mrs. Myrtle Andrews, of Hoopeston, and Eva and Madge. 
See memorial here.

JULY 30, 1942

Mrs. Josephine Dicus, of Ottawa, passed away at the Ottawa hospital Monday (July 27) afternoon following a brief illness. Death was from a cerebral hemorrhage following a streptococcic infection. 
Josephine Game, daughter of the late Henry and Bertha Game, was born in Chatsworth, and at the time of her death was about fifty-one years of age. In her youth she joined the Evangelical church, of which she was a member until a few years ago. After graduating from the Chatsworth high school she taught school for a number of years in this community, and in 1917 was married to W.A. Dicus, of Streator. Mr Dicus served overseas during the world war, and after his return they took up their residence in Streator where they remained for a number of years, later moving to Ottawa, where Mr. Dicus passed away in January, 1933. Mrs. Dicus' parents and a brother, Edward H. Game, also preceded her in death.
Surviving are on son, Arthur, who recently enters the United States army, a sister-in-law, Mrs. Clara Game, of Chatsworth, a nephew, Maynard Game, and a number of cousins. 
Funeral services were held in Ottawa this (Thursday) morning at 9 o'clock and burial was in the Ottawa cemetery.
Mrs. Dicus was a member of the Order of Eastern Star and still held her membership in Chatsworth and was initiated here about 20 years ago.
See memorial here. 

AUGUST 6, 1942

Ellis Harlan, son of Willis Harlan, died in a a Chicago hospital on Sunday ( Aug.2) forenoon at 11:30 o'clock following an illness of about six weeks. 
Funeral services were held at Batavia Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock.
The body was brought to Chatsworth for burial Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with graveside services being conducted by the Rev. Oscar Creech, pastor of the First baptist church. 
Mr. Harlan was born at Hopkinsville, Kentucky in 1900 and came with his parents to Illinois 22 years ago. He was employed by the Joliet Bridge and Iron Company and his death is thought to have resulted from an injury he received when he was struck on the head by a heavy timber. He was married and resided at Batavia, Illinois.
Surviving are the wife, his father, one brother, Jack and two sisters, Dosia (Mrs Gillum Hurt) and Annis (Mrs. Russell) Perkins of Chatsworth. 
Monday's Aurora Beacon contains the following additional information about Mr. Harlan: 
He was born in Thomsonville, Ky., April 10, 1900. He was known as "Tuck" to his many friends and co-workers in the Joliet Bridge and Construction company where he was foreman and had been with the organization for 20 years.
He came with the company to North Aurora in 1931 when the bridge was built across the Fox River at that point, and continued to make his home with the Mrs. William Flynn family there until 1941 when he married Vahad Larson.
They went to Bativia and were living in the new home which they built on Delia street. 
He suffered an accident when working at Peotone in May. The injuries confined him to St. Josephs Mercy hospital in Aurora until July 29 when he was moved to the Alexian hospital.
See memorial here.

AUGUST 13, 1942

John E. Roach, 75, died in the James Everett home in Watseka, Monday, August 10, 1942, at 6:45 a.m. Death was due to a heart condition and hypostatic pneumonia, the latter developing in the last few hours. 
The body was brought to the Roach funeral home in Chatsworth and funeral services were held Wednesday, August 12 at SS. Peter and Paul's church in Chatsworth, Rev. Fr. Phillip Markey officiating with interment in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Casket bearers were T.C. Ford, Jerry Baldwin, Henry Williams, E.R. Stoutemyer, Elmer Pearson, J.J. Kemnetz, C.E. Kohler and Ray Marr. 
He was a son of Martin and Kathryn (Martin) Roach, born in Watseka, June 10, 1867. He attended school in Watseka until graduation and entered the employment of the C. & E. I. Railroad as a baggageman and remained there until 1897, when he married Miss Lillian Hull, of Kentland, Ind., and then removed to Chicago where he attended embalming school and worked as a conductor for the Chicago Surface Lines. He graduated from embalming school in Nov. 1901, and removed to Chatsworth immediately where he opened a funeral establishment in the location now occupied by the George Miller garage. He remained there for two years and entered into a partnership with the late Albert O'Neil. In 1903 he started the construction of the building now occupied by the Roach Furniture store and moved into it the same year. This partnership continued until 1920, when Mr. O'Neil withdrew from the firm and until May 30, 1926, he conducted the furniture and undertaking business. 
On that date, he was driving into Chicago, he was suddenly attacked with a cerebral hemorrhage. He was removed from a Chicago hospital on June 27, 1926 and has been confined more or less to his home since then. His wife, Lillian, preceded him in death Dec. 26, 1940, and he remained in his home until October 16, 1941, when he removed to the James Everett home in Watseka, where he passed away.
He was a member of SS. Peter and Paul's Catholic church, the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus, the Modern Woodmen of America, and his funeral home was a member of the Illinois Funeral Director's Association and the National Funeral Director's Association. 
He was clerk of the M.W.A. for 21 years and was active in building up a large membership here for so many years. He was mayor of Chatsworth 7 years and was aggressive and progressive at all times.
He is survived by one son, Emmet, of Chatsworth, and three grandchildren. Two sisters and two brothers preceded him in death. 
Altho confined to his home for sixteen years with an incurable illness and much of the time unable to converse with his family or friends, he found much pleasure in his radio and his daily newspaper which he was able to use. For a number of years he managed the Chatsworth local baseball team and 25 years ago when every town had a ball team and the rivalry was keen, he took great pride in assembling a winning team. During his later years he listened daily to the ball games. 
John Roach had many friends who were grieved by his long illness and mourn the passing of a good citizen and neighbor.
See memorial here.

AUGUST 30, 1942

Mrs. Katherine Flessner, 65, died at her home north of Piper City Monday (Aug. 27) afternoon at 4:10 o'clock. She had been afflicted the past 15 years with diabetes and complications. She suffered a slight stroke Sunday and the direct cause of death was attributed to uremic poisoning. 
Funeral services were held in the Charlotte Lutheran church this afternoon at two o'clock, services being conducted by her pastor, Rev. A.F. Karsten. Burial will be in the Chatsworth cemetery.
She was born near Charlotte on January 2, 1877, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Oltman Voss. She spent most of her life in that vicinity. She was married February 8, 1898 to Thees Flessner and for 42 years they lived on a farm near Charlotte, moving two years ago to a farm in the Piper City neighborhood. 
Surviving are the husband and four daughters, Hilda, Florence, Ethel Sterrenberg and Katherine Haeger. There are also five grandchildren and three sisters, namely, Mrs. William Flessner, of Charlotte; Mrs. Agga Haren, of Cullom and Mrs. Barbara Lehman, Cullom, and one brother, Lou Voss of Cullom.
She was beloved by a large number of friends who with the family mourn her death.
See memorial here. 

AUGUST 30, 1942

Mrs. O.V. Wilson, of Chatsworth, and her daughter, Mrs. Rolin Hastings and husband, of Kouts, Indiana, attended the funeral services held in Bloomington Monday afternoon for Alfred E. Wilson, 25, who was decapitated by the Nickel Plate train in Bloomington early Saturday (Aug.25) morning. 
The body was found, badly mangled at 7:30. He was an employee of the Williams Oil-O-Matic company, and is survived by his wife and three small children, Barbara, Connie and Clotus. Also surviving are his mother, Mrs. John Wilson, of Waynesville; a brother, Robert, of Lexington; three sisters, Mrs. Virgil Nettlingham and Mrs. John R. Rousey of Waynesville and Mrs. Earl Jehle of Saunemin. His father died three weeks ago.
He was born at Chatsworth, September 13, 196, and was known to a number of people of this vicinity. He will be better remembered by his nickname of "Buster". 


Mrs. W.W. Howard died at her home in Chatsworth this morning at 7:45 o'clock, following a long illness. 
Mrs. Howard had been in declining health for the past twenty five years and bedfast for several years. She was the widow of Rev. W.W. Howard, a former Methodist minister. She served as pastor at Clifton, Gardner, Cullom, Washburn, Tremont, Crescent City and died several years ago wile pastor at Thawville.
Mrs. Howard and her sister Miss Annie Stevens, moved to Chatsworth about seven years ago and reside in an apartment in the Miss Mary Herr residence property. 
Surviving are two sons, Rex Howard, a business man in Peoria, and Percy Howard, station agent in Piper City; one sister, Miss Annie Stevens, and five grandchildren, Eugene, Wesley, Joyce, Donald and Rex Junior Howard. She was born in Canada 74 years ago. 
Due to her confinement to her home by illness she was not widely known but was a woman of beautiful Christian character, patient and uncomplaining during all the years of her illness. 
Funeral services will be held on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Chatsworth Methodist church with burial in the Thawville cemetery.
See memorial here.


The body of Isaac Lemna was brought to St. Patrick's cemetery in Chatsworth Wednesday for burial. Services were held in St. Jule's church, Chicago, Wednesday forenoon and graveside services were conducted at the cemetery at Chatsworth by the Rev. Fr. Philip Markey, local rector, and Rev. John Ryan of Chicago. 
Mr. Lemna died Sunday  (Aug. 30) at the home of his son, Jesse, in Chicago at the age of 93.
The Lemna family resided in the Chatsworth and Piper City vicinity years ago. Mr. Lemna and his sons conducted a livery barn in Piper City some twenty five years ago before moving to Canada during the land boom there. Mrs. Lemna died about 20 years ago and a few years later Mr. Lemna came to Chatsworth and for about five years lived in the home of his sister, the late Mrs. Lena Dancey, later going to Chicago. 
Survivors are two daughters, Sadie, state of Vermont; Mayme, Alberta, Canada; three sons, Jesse, Chicago; Fred, Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada, and Leo, of Portland, Oregon. There is also one sister living, Mrs. Mary Tavares, of Dwight.
See memorial here.

SEPTEMBER 17, 1942

Mrs. Chris Shafer died at her home in Boxholm, Iowa, Sunday (Sep. 13) night at the age of 71, following a two year illness.
Funeral services were held in Boxholm Wednesday afternoon with burial there.
Mrs. Shafer was born in the Chatsworth neighborhood as Emma Roth and the family resided in this locality until about 30 years ago when they moved to Paton, Iowa, and later retired from farming and moved to the village of Boxholm. She was stricken with paralysis while on a visit in Chatsworth in August 1940, and was bedfast thereafter. 
Surviving are he husband, two sons, Roy and Raymond, and four daughters, Mrs. Lillian Ott, Mrs. Minnie Ott, Mrs. Edna Powers and Mrs. Clifford Smith, all of the Boxholm community. She is also survived by one (this maybe should have read two brothers)  brother, Frank, of Chatsworth, and Ira, of Paton, Iowa, and one sister, Mrs. O.O. Reed of Strawn.
Included in those who went from this vicinity to attend the funeral were Frank Roth, of Chatsworth; Mr. and Mrs. Joe Roth and Miss Dorothy Eminger, of Melvin; Mrs. O.O. Reed, of Strawn; and Mr. and Mrs. Ed Shafer of Chatsworth.
See memorial here. 

SEPTEMBER 17, 1942

Henry C. Leach, an optometrist in Joliet since 1914, but a native of Chatsworth, died September 7 at his home in Joliet of a heart attack. He had been in frail health for some time. 
He was a son of the Henry Leaches. He was educated at Northwestern university and for many years operated a jewelry and optometry business at Beaumont, Texas, returning to Joliet in 1914. His father at that time was engaged in the lumber and coal business in Joliet.
He is survived by his widow, Daisy Lees Leach, a son Hal C. and a brother, Elmer, of Beaumont, Texas. Burial was in Oakland cemetery at Joliet.
See memorial here. 

SEPTEMBER 17, 1942

John A. Baker died at his home in Charlotte Wednesday (Sep. 16) evening at 6:50 o'clock following an illness of less than a week. Death resulted from a heart attack. 
Funeral services will be held from the home at 1:30 Friday afternoon and at the Chatsworth Calvary Baptist church at 2 o'clock with Rev. E.W. Crockett in charge. Burial will be in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Mr. Baker was born in Missouri 70 years ago. He was married in that state in September, 1893, to Miss Mary Ann Fraser. In 1910 they moved to a farm near Chatsworth and for a number of years engaged in farming. Later Mr. Baker conducted a filling station in the village and about 11 years ago moved to the village of Charlotte. Mrs. Baker died in 1935. In July 1941, Mr. Baker was married to Mrs. Amanda Shell in Missouri, who survives. 
Three daughters and two sons of the first marriage survive. They are Mrs. John Galloway, of Charlotte; Otis Baker, of Bradley; Mrs. Otis Hendershott, of Chebanse; Mrs. Russell Harp, of Kankakee, and Asier, of Lincoln, Nebraska. There are also six grandchildren.
See memorial here.

SEPTEMBER 17, 1942

Louis A. Smith, a prominent farmer of Germanville township, died at his home at 11:45 o'clock Wednesday (Sep. 16) night of a cerebral hemorrhage at the age of 67 years, 3 months and 16 days. 
Funeral services will be held in the Forrest Methodist church Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, preceded by a brief service at the home at 1:15. Rev. Shaw, of Peoria, will have charge of the services. Burial will be in the Germanville cemetery. 
He was born at Metamora, Illinois, May 31, 1875, the third son of Peter and Hannah Smith. He was married at Metamora to Emma Baker on Sept. 7, 1897. To this union were born the following children: Glenn, who died in infancy, Lee, of Chatsworth, Mrs. Estella Rasmussen, of Lombard; Mrs. Mae Hornickel and Mrs. Grace Hummel, of Chatsworth; who with the wife and nine grandchildren, mourn his death.
He is also survived by the following brothers and sisters, Isaac of Minonk; George of Chillicothe; Anne, of Gowrie, Iowa; Louise, of Metamora; Salome, of Peoria; Reuben, of Chester; William, of Peoria. Three sisters preceded him in death. 
He suffered a paralytic stroke three years ago, from which he never fully recovered. He was ever a kind and loving father and husband, ever willing to lend a helping hand. 
He, with his family, moved to this vicinity twenty two years ago. He always took pride in his farm and livestock.
He attended the Church of God in Forrest when his health permitted. Owing to the remodeling of the Church of God building the services were held in the Methodist church.
See memorial here. 

SEPTEMBER 24, 1942

William E. Cording, one of Chatsworth's highly esteemed citizens, died at his home Wednesday (Sep.23) morning at 6 o'clock. His health began to fail about four years ago but his condition was not deemed serious until Sunday morning. while sitting at the breakfast table he suffered a severe stroke which soon rendered him unconscious and from which he never rallied. 
Funeral services will be held from the Methodist church Friday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, conducted by Rev. M.L. Sullins. Burial will be in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Mr. Cording was born at Kinmundy, Illinois, August 6, 1864. When one year old he came with his parents to Livingston county, and with the exception of two years in Iowa, he spent almost his entire life in Chatsworth and vicinity. 
He was married September 1, 1908, in Peoria, to Miss Nevada FitzHenry, who, with two daughters, survive. He engaged in farming for a time, later moving into Chatsworth, where he engaged in the mercantile business from 1900 to 1912, when he sold out and moved to Callander, Iowa. After a residence there of two years Mr. Cording and family returned to Chatsworth and have since resided in the south part of the village.
Mr. Cording served eight years as mayor of Chatsworth, and 25 years on the school board. He took an active interest in the affairs of the village and at the time of his death he still owned two business buildings. 
He was a member of the Methodist church and contributed to its management and its growth as long as his health would permit. In his passing the community loses a fine citizen. 
The surviving daughters are Blanche (Mrs. Hilko) Remmers, of Springfield, and Miss Dorothy, of Waco, Texas. His parents, two brothers and a sister preceded him in death. One sister, Mrs. Emily Hill of Fairbury, and two brothers, Fred, of Pinecastle, Florida and Arthur, of Chatsworth also survive, and there are three grandchildren.
See memorial here.

OCTOBER 15, 1942

Mrs. Marietta Francis, 69, died at 9:30 p.m. Friday (Oct. 9) at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hallie Baker, of Forrest.
She had been ill for about three years. Funeral services were held at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the daughter's home near Forrest and at 2 p.m. at the Methodist church at Chatsworth. The Rev. Marion Sullins officiated. Burial was in Chatsworth cemetery. 
Marietta Young was born Sept. 19, 1873 at Lutesville, Mo., the daughter of James and Catherine Eaker Young. She married June 19, 1869 to Robert J. Francis who preceded her in death in 1929. She moved to Chatsworth about 10 years ago whee she lived until 1941 when she moved to Forrest. 
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Hallie Baker and Mrs. Marion Barrett, Forrest, and Mrs. Willard Austin, Benton; two sons, Lester, of Joliet and Theodore, Poplar Bluff, Mo.; two sisters, Mrs. David Maynard of Sauk, Mo., and Mrs. John Crites, of Chatsworth; and one brother, Marion Young, Advance, Mo. There are 24 grandchildren and one great grandchild.
See memorial here.

OCTOBER 22, 1942

George W. O'Neil, 77, died at him home 6840 S. Marshfield Ave., October 4, following an illness of about two months with heart trouble. 
Funeral services were held at St. Justin's church in Chicago, Wednesday, October 14 with burial in Holy Sepulchre cemetery.
Mr. O'Neil was born in a log cabin in Charlotte township, in 1865, a son of Mr. and Mrs. John O'Neil, among the first settlers of Charlotte township. He went to Chicago in 1887 and engaged in the real estate business which he followed up to the time of his death. His son, associated with him, will continue the business. While he had been away from Chatsworth a half century he always had a warm spot in his heart for the town and occasionally came back for a brief visit. He had been a reader of the Plaindealer all these years and one of his last conscious acts was to direct his son, Gerald, to renew his subscription. 
Mrs. O'Neil died during the holidays. Surviving are one daughter, Miss Hazel O'Neil, at home, and one son, Gerald, of Chicago. 

NOVEMBER 12, 1942

Mrs. Jessie Blackmore died at her home in Chatsworth about 5:10 Saturday (Nov. 7) evening as a result of a ruptured artery in one of her limbs. 
Mrs. Blackmore lived alone and for a number of years had been trouble with varicose veins in her ankles. Saturday she had been around her home and worked some in the yard. Albert King stopped on his way up town to inquire if Mrs. Blackmore wished him to order any groceries for her, as had been his custom. When he stopped at the home Mrs. Blackmore told him she was very ill and asked him to call a doctor. He hurried to a phone and then went to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Edward Moore. When help arrived she had slumped over in a chair and life was extinct from loss of blood from a ruptured artery.
The body was taken to the Roach funeral home and later to the home of her daughter, where it rested until the hour of funeral Tuesday at 2 o'clock. Services were conducted by Rev. M.L. Sullins pastor of the Methodist church. Burial was in the Brenton cemetery near Piper City. 
Coroner K.G. Essington, of Odell, conducted an inquiry at the Roach funeral home Sunday evening at 7:30 and decided death resulted from a massive hemorrhage from an artery in a varicose vein.
Jessie Movern was born at Earlville, Illinois, January 18, 1868. She resided in the Earlville neighborhood about 30 years and was married in 1887 to Lincoln Blackmore, from whom she separated many years ago. Practically the remainder of her life after leaving Earlville was spent in Chatsworth. 
Mrs. Blackmore was a kind neighbor. In her younger years she graciously spent part of her time in the care of the sick. To the very close of her life she loved her home. Here she liked to be, caring for her flowers and doing her own work. Her passing will be deeply mourned by her children, her sisters, brother, and friends in this community. 
She is survived by three daughters, Mrs. Nellie Pilger, of Bureau, Illinois; Mrs. Etta Moore, of Chatsworth, and Mrs. Della Edwin, of Kankakee. There are also two sisters, Mrs. Charles Baker of Monticello, Indiana, and Mrs. Charles Honold, of Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin, and one brother, Bert Movern, of Gilman.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 12, 1942

The body of Miss Wrilla Walker was brought to the home of her mother in Chatsworth last Thursday from a Bloomington hospital where she died at 3:30 that morning. 
Funeral services were held from the Evangelical church Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J.V. Bischoff, pastor of the church, assisted by the Rev. L.R. Tagg, pastor of the Fairbury Methodist church. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery where her father is buried.
Miss Walker was born in Chatsworth August 10, 1881. Her parents were William and Viola Merscher Walker. After receiving her education in the Chatsworth schools she was employed for several years as a clerk in the Albert Walter dry goods store. In 1911 she went to Fairbury and for 31 years was employed in the Walton department store.
Friday's Fairbury Blade, reporting her death says: 
Miss Walker had not been in the best of health the past few years, but had remained as clerk in the dry goods department of the Walton store until two weeks ago when she went to the home of a niece, Mrs. Fred Aellig, at Strawn. Her condition grew worse and on Wednesday she was taken to the hospital at Bloomington.
Dependable, accommodating and pleasant and with a thorough knowledge of the stocks in her department, Miss Walker held the esteem and confidence of all with whom she had come in contact during her many years connection with the Walton store. 
Surviving Miss Walker are her mother, Mrs. Viola Walker, of Chatsworth, and two brothers, Pearl, of Chicago, and Lewis, of Strawn.
She was a member of the Methodist church, a past oracle of the local order of the Royal Neighbors of America and a member of Charity Home Rebekah lodge. 
Casket bearers were three of her co-workers in the Fairbury store, Roscoe Coombs, H.L. Schmitt and Marshall Gordon, and three Chatsworth men, Henry Williams, P.A. Koerner,Jr., and James Mauritzen.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 19, 1942

Heio Martin Tobin, 76, better known to his relatives and friends as Hy fell dead some time between 5:30 and 6 o'clock at the George Lee farm home in Germanville township, Wednesday evening, November 11, from a heart ailment. 
He had been ailing for the past five years from a heart ailment. Giving up his work at a hotel in Fargo, North Dakota, he came to Roberts to make his home with his sister, Mrs. Johannah Rath. That was in the spring of 1938. When Mrs. Rath gave up her home in August 1941, Mr. Tobin went to the home of his niece, Mrs. George Lee and family. Although his health continued to ail he was up and around as usual Wednesday morning shaved himself in the afternoon and went out doors to feed and water the hogs, which he so much enjoyed doing. 
Shortly after 5:30 o'clock he talked with Walter Lee when he came in from the fields. Walter went about his work and did not see Mr. Tobin until he went after the milk pails in a house where they were kept, where he found Mr. Tobin on the floor dead.
Mr. Tobin was born January 20, 1866, at Oesfriesland, Germany. He came to America in 1885, locating near Gibson City. Later he farmed with his father near Roberts and then moved to Manson, Iowa. After his parents died he lived and worked in a hotel in Fargo, North Dakota, until he retired. 
He is survived by his sister, Mrs. Johannah Rath, three nieces; Mrs. George Lee, of near Strawn; Mrs. John Kietzman, of Roberts; Mrs. Harry Mueller of Saginaw, Mich., and one nephew, George J. Rath of Petaluma, California.
Funeral services were held from the Danforth funeral home in Roberts, Saturday, Nov. 14 at 2 p.m. Rev. J.C. Einfalt officiating. Burial was in Lyman cemetery. 
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 3, 1942

John A. Mauritzen died at St. Mary hospital in Kankakee Friday (Nov.27) morning at 8:24 following an illness since last July. He had been in the hospital seven weeks and death was attributed to heart trouble. 
The body lay in state in a Kankakee funeral home until the hour of funeral service at 9 o'clock on Monday morning in St. Patrick's Catholic church in Kankakee. The body was brought to Chatsworth  St. Patrick's cemetery and graveside services were held at 11:15.
Mr. Mauritzen was born in Chatsworth July 27, 1888. He spent his youth here and in 1919 moved to Kankakee, where he was employed as a meat cutter until illness cause him to relinquish work last summer. He was married in 1913 to Cora Dunkelberger of Kankakee, who with one son, John W., and one daughter, Ione, survive. 
There are also two brothers, James, of Chatsworth, and Howard, of Bloomington, and one sister, Mrs. Lena Hollywood of Kankakee.
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 10, 1942

John Muller died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Robert Rosenboom Tuesday morning, Dec. 8 at 5:30 o'clock. He had been ill for the past three weeks. 
The body lay in state in the Rosenboom home until this afternoon when services were conducted in the Lutheran church, with Rev. A.F. Karsten officiating. Burial will be in the Chatsworth cemetery.
He was born in Engwieler, Alsace-Lorraine, France, April 15, 1866 and came to America in March, 1888. He was employed first as a farm hand by Philip Sohn near Forrest. He was married Sept. 22, 1892, to Miss Caroline Leininger at Cullom by the late Rev. M. Reinhardt. They moved to a farm near Strawn and continued farming until 1918 when they sold out and moved to Chatsworth. During the winter months while he farmed and at other spare times he was engaged in horse shoeing and blacksmith work, which trade he learned in France. 
Mrs. Muller died August 7, 1936, since which time he has made his home with his daughters, Mrs. Robert Rosenboom and Mrs. Gerbracht, in Chatsworth. He was a familiar figure in the business section of the village and as long as health permitted could be seen daily conversing with friends along the street. Quiet and unassuming he leaves many friends to mourn his passing. 
Surviving are two daughters, Kathryn (Mrs. Robert) Rosenboom and Lorraine (Mrs. Albert) Gerbracht; one son, Henry Muller, of Streator, and three grandchildren. Mrs. Kathryn Bork-Lehmann, Albert Gerbracht, Jr. and Dickie Rosenboom.
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 10, 1942

Christian H. Rohde, longtime resident of Chatsworth, died in Pontiac, Sunday  (Dec. 6) forenoon about 11 o'clock. 
The body was brought to the Roach funeral home where services were conducted Wednesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by Rev. A.F. Karsten, pastor of the Chatsworth Lutheran church. Burial was in the Chatsworth cemetery. 
Mr. Rohde had been a resident of Chatsworthh for many years. He was born in Germany and was aged 83 years and 17 days. Little is known here of his early life. He was born at Althagen, Hanover, Germany. He came to America in May, 1875 and settled in Chatsworth where he engaged in farm work. Later he went to the Dakotas and conducted a business and also at Duluth, Minnesota. Returning to Chatsworth in 1890 he opened a variety store which he conducted until a few years ago. He built and owned for several years the two story brick building in the east business block in Chatsworth and now owned by Joseph Endres. Gradually he disposed of his store and moved to a small house in the north part of town, where he continued to buy junk and raise vegetables until an illness made it necessary to take him to the county hospital for treatment. He was married and lived with his wife for several years when they separated. There were no children. He lived alone for more than twenty years. 
Mr. Rohde gained considerable attention from the unorthodox advertising he ran in the Plaindealer and other newspapers and his advertisements were widely read and commented on. Even when he really had nothing to sell he insisted upon running advertising in this paper and resented any suggestions about it. He resented charity and as long as he was able tried in his humble way to meet his few wants. So far as the writer knows he was honest and law abiding, although eccentric. He had many acquaintances but few close friends and in his later years lived much along.
His only living relatives it appears, are Miss Tillie, Ernest and Fred Bork, whose mother was a sister of Mr. Rohde.
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 31, 1942

Mrs. E. R. Shols, aged 76, died at her home in the south part of the village of Chatsworth on Christmas Eve. 
She had been in ill health for a number of years and had been bedfast for about six weeks. Bronchitis and pleurisy caused her death at about 5:15 Thursday evening, Dec. 24. 
Funeral services were held in the Evangelical church on Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock, conducted by the pastor, Rev. J.V. Bischoff. Burial was in the Chastsworth cemetery. Casket bearers were Walter Kroeger, Ralph Dassow, K.R. Porterfield, Leslie Schade, George Miller and Clarence Ruppel.
Louisa Marie Wienand was a daughter of Wilhemine and Theodore Wienand and was born August 20, 1866, on a farm near Chatsworth. On October 26, 1892 she was united in marriage with Erasmus Shols. To this union were born two sons and two daughters. She resided on a farm northeast of Chatsworth until 1904 when she moved with her husband and children to the village of Chatsworth. 
Her entire life was spent in this community. She was a member of the Evangelical church since childhood and a member of the Woman's Missionary Society of the Evangelical church for many years. She enjoyed doing for others and extended a help hand wherever necessary. 
Her husband preceded her in death on may 13, 1937. She leaves to mourn her departure, two daughters, Mrs. Viola Sharp, of Chatsworth and Eunice, of Barrington, Ill.; two sons, William, of Joliet and Erasmus (Rusty) of Skokie; three grandchildren, Floyd Sharp, and Glen and Claire Shols, and two great grandchildren, Kenneth and Carol Sharp; one sister, Mrs. Fred Meisenhelder of Sioux City, Iowa; and two brothers, Joseph F. Wienand of Salem, south Dakota; and Theodore Wienand, of Delphi, Ind.
She had been confined to her home by illness for a long time and had been ill several years and gradually became weaker but was given excellent care by her children, especially by her daughter, Mrs. Viola sharp, who was her constant companion and ministered to her every want.
See memorial here.