Obits from the Chatsworth Plaindealer 1890-1891-1892-1893



Names are in Orange and dates in (Orange) have been added by me according to the publishing date of the Plaindealer


These 5 obits were extracted from some 1915  "25 Years Ago" articles.
Double checking for dates.

Twins of the Frank Koerner family died on July 17 and July 19 and are buried in St. Patrick's Cemetry.

William Joyce died July 8 in Havana, Illinois.
See memorial here.  
Twins of the Frank Koerner family died on July 17 and July 19 and are buried in St. Patrick's Cemetry

Johnny J. Kennedy, son of James Kennedy, died August 14, aged 19 months.
Note: Memorial says 1891. Stone appears to say 1890. Checking
See memorial here.

Albert, son of John Coughey, died September 25. aged 2 years.

Thomas J., son of William Lawless, died December 7, aged 7 years, 7 months and 9 days.

James Taggert, Sr. died at his late home in this city Monday evening, Sept. 1, at seven o'clock at the age of 57 years, 10 months and 22 days. While for the past two years, his health had been very poor, and he had  within the last few months of his life often remarked that he thought that his time upon earth was growing very short, his family was greatly shocked when death came, resulting from paralysis. When he awakened Monday morning he was unable to speak, and continued so all day, gradually growing weaker until the breath left the body. The funeral was held from the family home Wednesday morning, Rev. McGowen conducting the services and the remains were followed to their last resting place by many friends of the deceased and his estimable family, who deeply sympathized with them in their loss of husband and father.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 21, 1890
Hattie Wilson, known by many as Hattie Larned, died Wednesday evening of peritonitis at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.A. Bangs, where she was employed as a domestic. Deceased had been ailing since the Friday previous. Since her employment by Mr. and Mrs. Bangs she was heard to say that she never had as good a home and, in fact, was treated more like a daughter than as a servant., in consequence she became very much attached to the family. Deceased was born in Massachusetts and was about thirty three years old. She lived at one time at, or in the vicinity of Minonk. She came here when a child and made her home with her aunt, Mrs. L.T. Larned, for a number of years. Later on she lived with different families in and about Chatsworth. The funeral was held this (Friday) morning from the Bangs residence, Rev. Crumbaker, of the M.E. church, of which she was a member, officiating.

DECEMBER 26, 1890
Death has once more entered our midst and taken as his victim one of our oldest and most highly respected settlers, Horace J. Roberts, who died on Monday morning, Dec. 22, at eight o'clock, of paralysis resulting from la grippe. Although Mr. Roberts had not been well since having the grippe last winter, and during the past summer had suffered three partial strokes of paralysis, none thought the end so near, and when his demise was made known to his many friends in town the expressions of sympathy and regret were many and sincere. The funeral services were held from the M.E. church in this city Wednesday morning and the church was filled with friends who paid their last tribute of respect and esteem to their departed neighbor and friend. The interment was at Chatsworth cemetery, Rev. Crumbaker conducting the services at the church and the grave.
See memorial here.


JANUARY 2, 1891
Henry Battles infant son died.

JANUARY 2, 1891
Child of James Fitzgerald died in Strawn, aged 4 years, buried St. Patrick's Cemetery.

JANUARY 30, 1891
After nearly eighty three years of this world's joys and sorrows, Mr. John Marr passed quietly and peacefully away at the home of his daughter, Miss Belle, in this city at noon Monday, Jan. 26. Perfectly free from disease, he has grown gradually weaker in body and mind for the past eighteen months until totally worn out, the vital spark fled. The funeral services were held from his late home Wednesday morning at 10 o'clock, Rev. J.W. McGowan speaking words of consolation to the bereft relatives.
See memorial here.

JANUARY 30, 1891
George Jailey died very suddenly, presumably from heart disease, a few rods from the home of his nephew, Andrew Jailey, north of town, last Saturday afternoon. He had been assisting in driving cattle and while on the way to the house fell over dead. Having never married he made his home with his nephew. He was a soldier in Germany and had been in this country just six months when, upon the breaking out of the war, he enlisted and served until its close. The funeral was held from his nephew's home Monday, Rev. Franzen of Charlotte, conducting the services, and the remains were laid to rest in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Note: The name was misspelled wrongly throughout this article. Should have been Jehele.
See Memorial here.

JANUARY 30, 1891
Frederick, only son of Mr. and Mrs. John Berlet, residing north of town, died Monday morning, Jan. 26, of typhoid fever, aged five years. The funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, Rev. Egil, of the German Evangelical church officiating, and the remains of the little loved one were laid in the Germanville cemetery.
See memorial here.

FEBRUARY 6, 1891
The many friends here heard with regret of the death of Louis Stadler, son of Mrs. John Stadler, southeast of town, which occurred Monday morning, after an illness of but a few days with lung fever.

FEBRUARY 6, 1891
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Schulz' two weeks old infant died at the parental home, southeast of town, early Saturday morning, Jan. 31. The remains were taken to the Catholic church Monday morning and after prayers, all that was mortal of the little one was taken to the Catholic cemetery for burial.
See memorial here.

FEBRUARY 21, 1891
Mrs. Sarah L. Quinn died at her home, southwest of Chatsworth, near Strawn, last Sunday, Feb. 15 after a protracted illness. Medical aid and loving relatives had for several months ministered to her wants, but to no avail, and she passed from her sufferings, aged thirty two years. The remains were taken to Ottawa, her former home, for burial on Tuesday. Many friends deeply sympathize with the bereaved relatives in their great loss.

APRIL 8, 1891
Alvin, son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Berlett, residing south of town, died Thursday morning of lung fever, after an illness of nearly a month's duration he was  a bright little boy of eight years and will be sadly missed in the family. Funeral services will be held Saturday.

APRIL 8, 1891
A dark cloud has been cast over the humble home of George Minz, in this city, Frances, their youngest daughter, passed away Wednesday night, April 1, about half-past eleven o'clock, after an illness of a little over a week with typhoid fever, aged 9 years, 11 months and 2 days. Their home has been filled with trouble this winter, their daughter Christine, who was lain for weeks between life and death with pneumonia, is now convalescent. Other members of the family have been ill, while Mr. and Mrs. Minz are both what might be termed properly invalids.

APRIL 24, 1891
At the family home, in this city, Tuesday morning, April 14, at 11:10 o'clock, Mary C. wife of James A. Smith. The funeral services were held from the house Friday morning at 10 o'clock, and the remains were taken on the noon train to Ottawa, Ill. for interment.
See memorial here.

APRIL 24, 1891
Lucinda Dart, wife of Harry Dart, residing northwest of town, died Tuesday morning, April 14, of cancer, from which disease she had been a sufferer for several years, aged 61 years. She was of a kind disposition, one whom to know was to love. She was the mother of but one child, a daughter, whose death brought unspeakable sadness to the home in August, 1888. the bereaved husband has the sincere sympathy of all in this terrible trial, the taking away of his entire family.
See memorial here.

APRIL 24, 1891
The remains of the late Catherine Brennen, wife of James Brennen, of Forrest were brought here Tuesday morning, April 14, from her late home in Forrest, where she died Sunday, April 12, of lockjaw. She was ill but a few days, having stepped on a small piece of wood while walking in the year a few days previous to her death.

MAY 1, 1891
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gerbracht, residing south of town, in Germanville township, mourn the loss of their only child, an infant son, Clarence, aged fourteen months. The little one had the measles, accompanied by a very high fever, which resulted in cerebro spinal meningetis (sic), form which he died. The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon and the little body was laid away in the Germanville cemetery.
See memorial here.

JUNE 5, 1891
Albert C. Conrad died at his home three miles southwest of town, Tuesday, June 2, at noon, of a complication of diseases, after an illness of nearly a year, being confined to his home for several weeks past. the funeral was held from the German Lutheran church Thursday morning at eleven o'clock, Rev. Schild preaching an excellent sermon appropriate to the sad occasion. According to the request of the deceased, the three weeks old infant son, left fatherless at his death, was baptized at the same time the last sad rites were observed over his remains. Many followed the remains to their final resting place in the Chatsworth cemetery.
See memorial here.

JUNE 5, 1891
At Chicago May 28, occurred the death of Louise Helen, beloved wife of Charles N. Grey, aged 24 years and 4 months. The funeral was held Sunday, May 31, at one o'clock, the burial being at Graceland cemetery. Deceased was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. B. Mehrer, of this place. She was born in Chatsworth, Jan. 28, 1867, and made her home here until a few years ago, when she went to Chicago to reside. She died after a lingering illness of seven weeks, duration of typhoid fever.

JUNE 5, 1891
Eugene Murtaugh passed away at the home of his brother, Frank, southeast of Cullom, Monday morning, June 8, at seven o'clock. Eugene Murtaugh was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Murtaugh, of this city, and was born on the farm where he breathed his last, Nov. 14, 1870. With his parents he made his home on the farm until two years ago when he went to college at Bourbonnias, near Kankakee. His parents moved to this place last winter, and when Eugene returned from school this spring he went to the old farm home, where his brother resided, to spend the summer. The accident which was the cause of his death was mentioned in the Plaindealer last week. The funeral was held from St. Peter's and St. Paul's church here Wednesday morning at ten o'clock, Rev. J.J. Quinn saying mass and preaching the very beautiful and appropriate sermon. The funeral was one of the largest ever seen here, showing the esteem in which the young man was held, and the deep sympathy felt by the large circle of acquaintances and friends of the bereaved family. The remains were interred beside the grave of his sister, who preceded him to the other world about two years ago.
See memorial here.

AUGUST 2, 1891
Sammie Grob died at the home of his parents in this city at 2 o'clock this Friday morning. He was born in Kankakee county, near Reddick, on March 11, 1883, and died July 31, 1891. He was the son of George Grob, who came to this city about three years ago. Sammie was taken sick, July 8, with inflamation of the bowels, from which he died.
See memorial here.

AUGUST 28, 1891
Although death had been expected for some time, the shock was none the less great when the friends of Mrs. Ann Liston heard of her departure from this life at six o'clock this morning (Friday) Aug. 28. She had been in poor health for a number of years, and during the summer had been a sufferer from a complication of diseases which, with her advanced age, caused her death.
Mrs. Liston, whose maiden name was Ann Ferguson, was born in Blairgorie, Birhtshire, Scotland, and was about seventy six years of age. She was married to James Liston and, with her husband and five children, came to America about 1880, settling near Washington, where they resided several years, until they move to Pike township, Livingston county, where Mr. Liston died twenty one years ago. Soon after his death the widow and her family moved to a farm near Chatsworth, where she resided until about six years ago, when she moved to town and has since, with her daughter, Miss May, resided in this city. She leaves five children--three sons; William, of Culbertson, Neb.; James of Chicago; and Alex, of Pullman, and two daughters; Mrs. J.S. Sleeth and Miss May, both of this city.
Mrs. Liston was a woman highly esteemed by all who knew her and her death causes general sorrow among a large circle of friends and neighbors. The arrangements for the interment had not been made up to the time of our going to press.

SEPTEMBER 25, 1891
Died-- On Thursday morning, at eleven o'clock occurred the death, by cholera-infantum of the seven months old child of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Roberts, living south of this city. The funeral was held this morning at eleven o'clock, Rev. Wittet giving the remarks. The parents have the sympathy of their many friends in their great sorrow.

NOVEMBER 6, 1891 
Died at the home of George A. Brunz, in this city, Sunday evening, Nov. 1, 1891, aged 70 years and 3 months.
Deceased was born in Oldenburg, Germany, in 1821, where she grew to womanhood, and in 1843 was married to B.H. Dirks. In 1869 they came, with their family to America. Her first husband having died in September, 1871, she was married to W.H. Flyr. Mrs. Flyr came to Chatsworth about eighteen months ago, and since coming made her home at the Brunz cottage. Four children, one son and three daughters, were the issue of the first marriage, all of whom survive her. 
The funeral was held from the German Evangelical church Tuesday morning, the Rev. Egil preaching the discourse.
Note: Read her family file here. Scroll down to the "Trienke" file.
See memorial here.


NOVEMBER 13, 1891
On Sunday evening, Nov.8, at his late home southeast of this city, occurred the death of John Joseph, an old and respected citizen of this vicinity, Mr. Joseph has been in a helpless condition for some time past, being a great sufferer and having been in poor health for many years. 
He was born in Morgan Town, West Virginia, Nov. 12, 1821, and was united in marriage with Miss Harriet DeBolt, also of Morgan Town, in 1846. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph, with their family, came to Illinois in 1863, locating in Woodford county. In 1876 they came to this vicinity and have since lived on a farm six miles southeast of this cit.
The funeral was held from the Baptist church on Wednesday morning. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph both having united with it before leaving Morgan Town, and having been constant members since. Rev. Wittet conducted the services and made the final remarks in the presence of a large concourse of friends who had gathered to pay their last respects to the departed and extend their sympathy to the bereaved relatives. The remains were laid to rest beside those of the wife and mother, whose death occurred three years ago.

NOVEMBER 20, 1891
Mrs. Gunther, formerly of this place, died at her home in Chicago, Wednesday evening, Nov. 18, of inflammation of the bowels. She was the wife of Mr. C. Gunther, for many years a resident of this city, being propriter of Gunther's harness shop. Mrs. Gunther leaves two daughters, two sons and innumerable friends. She was a lady who made friends wherever she went, and retained them, with her quiet, unassuming manner.

NOVEMBER 20, 1891
The news received here Wednesday of the death of Adolph smith, which occurred at Mount Tabor, Oregon, last week, was a great shock to Miss Lena Smith, sister of the deceased, here. With his stepfather and mother, Mr. and Mrs. John Waeffler (sic), he left here about five weeks ago for Oregon, where the family were going to make their home. While assisting his stepfather in clearing land he was instantly killed by the falling of a large tree. Adolf was a bright boy, thirteen years of age, and had many friends here, where he had attended the public school, who will regret to hear of his sudden and terrible death. For the past two years he had made his home with the family of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Pearled, of Sibley, the latter a sister of Mrs. John P. Hansen, of this place. By his bright disposition and studious habits he was a boy who made friends wherever he went.
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 18, 1891
The people of this vicinity were much shocked on Monday evening to hear of the sudden death of Mrs. Mary Stone, one of Chatsworth's oldest and most highly respected citizens. She had been in ill health for some time, and at the extreme age of eighty and a ----years the best of hopes could not be for a very great prolongation of life, but none expected the end so soon. she was taken suddenly sick Friday and died on Monday evening at 4:25 o'clock. the funeral was held at the M.E. church in this city Wednesday morning at 10:30 o'clock, Rev. Mercer making the final remarks. A large number of friends congregated at the church, and the remains were laid in their final resting place in the Chatsworth cemetery.
See memorial here.

DECEMBER 18, 1891
The remains of Mary Blake, who died at the home of her uncle, John Hogan, near Saunemin, Saturday morning, Dec. 12, were brought to this city Monday and interred in the Catholic cemetery.
See memorial here.

JANUARY 1, 1892
At the home of her parents, in this city, on Tuesday (Dec. 29, 1891) last, occurred the death of Eliza Christine Haase, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henrich Haase, for many years residents of Charlotte township. Deceased was born in Charlotte township on March 14, 1876, and lived there until last fall, when she moved with her parents, to this city. She had been in poor health ________ and was taken suddenly ill last Friday, from which she never rallied. She leaves to mourn her early death her parents and four brothers. The funeral services were held at the German Lutheran Church, Rev. Schild officiating, and a large number of friends being in attendance. The remains were laid to rest in the Chatsworth cemetery.
Note: This paper was badly torn but some words could be figured out naturally.
See memorial here

JANUARY 1, 1892
George Phillips died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Phillips, in Germanville, Tuesday, Dec. 29, at noon. The deceased has been a sufferer from rheumatic fever and a complication of diseases for about six moths, and all that physicians could do was done to alleviate his distress, but to no avail, and he passed from his long siege. He was about fifteen years of age, just budding into a bright and promising manhood. That their son should be taken from them is a great sorrow to Mr. and Mrs. Phillips, who have the sympathy of a large circle of friends in their great affliction.  
See memorial here.

JANUARY 8, 1892
Mrs. John Watson died at her late home in this city Tuesday evening, between four and five o'clock, of lung broncille, the result of the grip. She was born near Belleville, Washington county, Pennsylvania in April, 1840. She came, with relatives, to LaSalle county, Illinois, where she was married in 1867. Shortly after being married she moved, with her husband, to Grundy county, and from there they moved to Chatsworth in 1869, having lived here since. She was a member of the M.E. church, a kind, affectionate wife and mother, an excellent neighbor, being of a disposition to make no enemies. Her husband, four daughters and four sons survive to mourn her death, one son and one daughter being married. The funeral services were held at the Methodist church in this city Thursday morning at eleven o'clock, when a large number of friends met to pay the last tribute of respect.
Note: This would be Mary Watson
See memorial here.

JANUARY 11, 1892
The sad news of the death of Miss Effie M. Nash was received here this week by her many friends. After several years of poor health she succumbed to the dreadful disease, consumption at her parents' home, 125 Kirkwood street, Akron, Ohio, last Saturday morning. The funeral services occurred Monday. She was the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. P.N. Nash, for several years residents of this place, and the friends here of the family sincerely sympathize with the bereaved parents.

JANUARY 11, 1892
Through the kindness of friends we learn of the death of Charles A. Molitor, of Chicago, which occurred Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 13, at 2:50 o'clock at his late residence 152 Ambrose street, from typhoid fever. Deceased will be well remembered by many of our readers having grown to manhood in this city. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Molitor, early residents of Chatsworth, as was twenty five years, five months and thirteen days old at the time of his death.

JANUARY 18, 1892
Wednesday morning at 8:30 o'clock, at his late residence in this city, occurred the death of George Rebholz, at the age of 67 years, 10 months and 29 days, an old and highly respected citizen of this and Ford counties. In 1845 he was united in marriage with Miss Lena Ambruster, and in 1872 they came, with their family, to America, the families living in St. Louis for one year. After spending about a year in Iroquois county they moved in the vicinity of Piper City, where they lived about twelve years, coming to Chatsworth in 1886, where they have since made their home. Mr. Rebholz has been a sufferer from asthma for many years, and a few weeks ago was taken very sick with the grip, which eminated in lung fever, causing his death.
See memorial here.

FEBRUARY 5, 1892
Mr. and Mrs. Mason Foreman, of Charlotte township have the sympathy of their many friends in the loss of their little daughter, who died February 1, of bronchitis. the child was born September 29, and was very bright and interesting and the pet of the the household. the funeral services were held from the Charlotte church and the remains interred at Sullivan Center cemetery.

FEBRUARY 15, 1892
Died--Friday, Feb. 12, Katie Wurmnest, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Wurmnest, who recently moved to Sibley from Germanville township. The child was born August 17, 1891, and died very suddenly. The parents have the sympathy of their many friends in their sorrow.
See memorial here.

MARCH 4, 1892
Mr. and Mrs. John Kemmer, living south of town on the old Minnerly farm, have the sympathy of their many friends in the loss of their daughter, Geneveve. The cause of death is attributed to grip, complicated with a severe cold, which resulted in lung fever.
See memorial here.

MARCH 11, 1892
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Gelmers, living west of Charlotte, have the sympathy of their many friends in this their time of affliction. We announced in our last weeks issue the serious illness of their three sons. Runo/Kuno, next to the youngest son, aged about thirteen years, succumbed to the effects of the disease. The funeral services were held on Sunday last by Rev. Egil, of this city, from the Charlotte church a great many friends being present.
See memorial here.

MARCH 18, 1892
One of the saddest and most sudden deaths that have occurred in this vicinity form many years was that of Dr. W.H. Badgley, which occurred last Friday (Mar. 11) evening at nine o'clock. About a week previous to his death he was taken very ill with appoplexy, and in spite of all medical aid and kind friends could do he passed away at the above mentioned time. Dr. Badgley began business here January first, having bought out Dr. O.H. Brigham's dental business. The fact that the family was in the midst of moving their household goods from Cabery to this city, and the wife was engaged in preparing the new home to receive the sick husband at the time of his death in his dental office, tends to add sadness to the otherwise terrible affliction.
See memorial here.

APRIL 1, 1892
The four weeks old child of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Mackinson, of Charlotte township, was buried from the German church at Charlotte, last Saturday. The many friends of the bereaved parents extend their heartfelt sympathy.

APRIL 29, 1892
The sad news was received her of the death of Mr. Geo. L. Hemperley this morning at one o'clock at the family home at Wymore, Nebraska. Mrs. Hemperley will be remembered by many of our citizens, the family having lived her for a number of years. the funeral is to take place Sunday afternoon.
See memorial here.

MAY 19, 1892
The many friends of Mr. Aaron Brown, of Piper City, were very much shocked to hear of his death last Wednesday (May 11)  morning, at 2:30 o'clock, from paralysis. Returning late from a social Tuesday evening, after having been in the best of spirits, he complained of not feeling well, and died inside of three hours. Mr. Brown was an old resident of this vicinity, having located near Chatsworth about thirty years ago. He was born in Pennsylvania, March 29, 1836, where he spent his boyhood. Upon starting out in life he located near Peoria, Ill., and was there married to Miss Sarah Pierce thirty five years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Brown remained in the vicinity of Peoria a few years, then moved upon a farm in Charlotte township, where they spent the greatest part of their married life, moving to Piper City about nine years ago. He was the father of eleven children, nine daughters and two sons, two daughters and one son having preceded him to the better world. Mr. Brown was a man of broad acquaintance and many friends, whose sympathy goes forth to the bereaved wife and children in their greatest affliction.
See memorial here.

MAY 27, 1892
At his late home in this city, on Friday night, May 20, occurred the death of Patrick Bergan, one of Chatsworth's oldest citizens and an old and highly respected resident of Livingston county. He leaves to mourn his death, besides his aged wife, one daughter, Mrs. Thos. McDermott, of Pella township, and four sons, James, who resides in Charlotte township; John, of Iroquois county; William, living at Chillecothe, Peoria county; and Michael who lives in Michigan, and innumerable friends.
See memorial here.

MAY 27, 1892
Miss Maggie Joyce died at the home of her mother, Mrs. Annie Joyce, in Peoria, Saturday, May 21. Deceased was the third daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Matthew Joyce, who lived in Charlotte township for many years, the former having died about two years ago. She was fifteen years, eleven months old at the time of her death. The remains were brought to this city Sunday evening and interred in the Chatsworth cemetery Monday, funeral services being held in Peoria Sunday. Her mother, three sisters and one brother remain to mourn her early death. Maggie Joyce was a young lady of promising prospects, being a great student, her death, caused by spinal meningitis, being indirectly the result of hard study. The bereaved family have the sympathy of their many friends in this vicinity.
See memorial here.

JUNE 17, 1892
The death of Peter L. Cook, which occurred Thursday evening, June 9, removed from our midst a good citizen, a true friend, a hard working and industrious man. He was a man who whatever he undertook to doe he did with all his force and energy. When on his farm, in Ford county, he was instrumental in making his township roads the best in the county. The school in his district, while he server as director, was one of the best. After making his residence in this city he served as a member of the village board a number of terms, and as chairman of the street and alley committee, and in many other positions which he filled he was a faithful and energetic member. He will indeed be missed as a a citizen, husband, father and friend.
See memorial here.

JUNE 17, 1892
Mrs. Eliza F. Britton, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Phipps, eight miles southeast of this city, Sunday June 12, 1892, was born in Clinton county, Penn., April 1, 1818. She was married to James r. Britton, June 29, 1838 and came to Livingston county in 1867. the result of the union was six children, who lived to comfort the last days of their christian mother. Of recent years she had made her home with her son F.P. Britton, but during her last sickness she was taken to her daughter's home. Mrs. Britton was a staunch member of the Methodist church for many years, having been converted when yet young.
See memorial here.

JUNE 24, 1892
The sad news of the death of Miss Delia Moran, which occurred in Chicago at 2:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon June 23, has been received by Mr. and Mrs. John Moran of this city. Deceased in the daughter of John Moran and was 22 years old at the time of her death. The funeral services will be held at Dwight Sunday next.

JULY 6, 1892
Mr. and Mrs. John Marr have the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends in their last bereavement, the death of their six weeks old infant daughter Sunday morning. The funeral services were held Tuesday.
See memorial here.

JULY 22, 1892
On Sunday last, at 2:30 o'clock occurred the death of Charles Sauppe at the home of John Neding in Germanville, where he had been working. Deceased was 49 years and one month old and a native of Germany. He came to America at the age of 18 and was working in Chicago at the time of the great fire of 1872. He lost his position, as well as all his clothing and other property in the fire and decided to go to the country. He came to this neighborhood, where he has since live.

JULY 222, 1892
At the home of her sister, Mrs. A.K. Pratt, on Thursday, July 21, 1892, occurred the death of Mrs. Laura W. Thorp. Mrs. Thorp, whose maiden name was Reynolds, was born at Gainsville, Genesoe county, New York, June 26, 1826. She resided at the place of her birth until the year 1866, when she came to Illinois, making her home with her sister, Mrs. A.K. Pratt, who then resided in Lake county. December 22, 1880 she was married to Rollin Thorp and, with her husband, resided at Milton, Wisconsin, until 1889, when, her husband dying, she again took up her abode with her sister, Mrs. Pratt, who had in the intervening time moved to this place.

JULY 29, 1892
Wm. A. Parker passed away at the hospital at Kankakee Saturday last, July 23, at 2:10 pm. the remains were brought to this city Saturday evening and the funeral service conducted by Rev. J.E. Mercor, from the M. E. Church Sunday afternoon.
See memorial here.

Sebastian Herr, one of the oldest men in this vicinity, was called to his final rest Thursday morning. Mr. Herr was born in Baden, Germany, Jan. 21, 1810, being in 1839 united in marriage to Miss Josephine Stuckle. He emigrated to America with his little family in 1856 and has lived most of the time since near Morton, this state.
Last spring he moved, with his wife, to a little cottage near the house of his son, Steven, on the latter's farm north of town, better known as the Howe farm, where he died of internal paralysis at the above mentioned time. Mr. Herr had an unusually strong constitution and, until his recent sickness, had enjoyed excellent health. He had never used tobacco in any form nor alcoholic liquors, and to this fact he often attributed his strong constitution and extreme old age. Although he had been in America thirty-six years he could not speak the English language. He leaves to mourn his death his aged wife and four children--Steven, with whom he had lately lived, a son a Greenwich, Kan., one daughter in Kansas and one living at Edgerton, Ohio.
See memorial here.

Carl Ziegerath, for seven years a resident of this village, died at his late home in the southeast part of town Wednesday night. He had been a great sufferer from rheumatism, which disease is supposed to have caused his death, he being found dead in his bed by his wife early Thursday morning. He was a native of Bernburg, Germany, and came with his family to this city from Germany seven years ago in September. Deceased was born August 20, 1835, and was married to his relict March 20, 1870. He was the father of seven children, three of whom, two daughters and one son, with their mother survive him.
See memorial here.

On Tuesday morning between 5 and 6 o'clock, at the home of her husband in the west part of town, occurred the death of Mrs. Barton Helenwicks, after six years of suffering from consumption.

The sympathy of their many friends is with Mr. and Mrs. C. Heppe in their latest bereavement, the death of their infant daughter, Pauline, who died Thursday night. The funeral services will be held Sunday at one p.m. at the house.
See memorial here.

OCTOBER 7, 1892
The funeral of the late Miss Maria Marshall, daughter of the late John Marshall, was held from this city today. Maria Marshall was 16 years old and had been for years a great sufferer from catarrh in the head, which caused her death. The body arrived on the noon passenger and the remains were laid to rest in the Chatsworth cemetery beside those of her father, who was buried three months ago. Many sympathizing friends and old neighbors met the bereaved relatives and accompanied them to the burial.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 4, 1892
Mrs. Frank Oliver died at her home, south of town, Thursday morning after long suffering. the funeral will start from the house at 8 o'clock Sunday morning.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 14, 1892
The remains of Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Doran's little daughter, Annie, better known as Dollie, were interred in the Catholic cemetery here today, the funeral services having been held at Piper city. The sympathy of their many friends is with the bereaved parents and family.
See memorial here.

NOVEMBER 18, 1892
On Thursday morning at 6:45 occurred the death of little Willie Maxwell after three weeks of intense suffering caused by blood poisoning, the result of an injured knee. Willie was the son of Mr. and Mrs. I.S. Maxwell and was six years old the fifth day of last May. The funeral services were held from the Maxwell home at two o'clock this afternoon. the parents and family have the sympathy of their many friends in their sad bereavement.

DECEMBER 6, 1892
There is probably not a person in Charlotte township or the village of Chatsworth who did not know William Baldwin. He was a young man who made friends where're his lot might be cast. For several weeks past he had been confined to the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Baldwin, of Charlotte township, with a complication of lung diseases. On Sunday morning at 6 o'clock, he breathed his last. Deceased was a young man of unusual ability and was born in the state of New York June 11, 1862. While quite young he met with an accident which injured his shoulders and back, leaving him a cripple. He came to this vicinity with his parents the winter of the heavy sleet, ten years ago, moving into the farm where they have since resided. "Billy", as he was always known, was tax collector for Charlotte township at the time of his death and had always taken more than an ordinary interest in the town's politics. He was a school teacher and had a school engaged for the winter, his health preventing him from taking charge of it two weeks ago. His ability made him capable of doing justice to most any task he might undertake and his loss will be deeply felt by his many townsmen and friends, as well as by his parents and relatives.
See memorial here.

Michael Bergan, for several years a resident of this city, passed away at his home in Merna Tuesday night, consumption claiming another life and adding one more to the long list of its depredations. Deceased was about forty-one years old and was born in the state of New York. He resided with his estimable wife, in Chatsworth for several years, failing health causing him to remove to his old home in Merna last fall. During his residence here he was a great sufferer from consumption, being much of the time unable to do manual labor. His health continued to fail and, in spite of all medical aid and kind friends could do for him, he was called to his everlasting home at the above mentioned time. Michael Bergan was a man with the best principle, strictly honest and always one of the foremost in doing a kind or benevolent act, consequently he had innumerable friends, who heard with deep feeling of remorse the sad tidings of his death.

JANUARY 6, 1893
After a long and painful illness Mr. James H. Martin quietly passed away Monday last at his home west of town. Mr. Martin was an old and respected citizen of this township, having come to this village In 1871. He was born In Brown county, near Ripley, Ohio, Aprl, 3, 1813, where he lived until 1832 when he came to Illinois, selling near Hennepin, Putnam county. The cause of Mr. Marlin’s death may be indirectly traced to the ravages of the grip, he having suffered very much from the epidemic when It was so prevalent, and never having been well since.
See memorial here.

JANUARY 3, 1893
Miss Kate Coughlin whose death from consumption was mentioned last week, was the oldest daughter of Mr.  and Mrs T. Coughlin, of this city, being 29 years old at the time of her death. She was born at St. Jose, Mo.; moved with her parents from there to Urbana, and from Urbana to this city about fourteen years ago. She was a lady highly respected by all and was of a very energetic, Industrious and bright disposition. 
See memorial here.

FEBRUARY 24, 1893
On Sunday, February 10, a t the home of his daughter, Mrs. M. M. Straight, who resides with her sons on the Stoddard farm south of this city, occurred the death of Simeon Austin Stoddard, a very old and highly respected citizen of this village. Deceased was one of the oldest men In this part of the state, having been born in New London, Connecticut, September 12, 1801, being 91 years, 5 months and 7 days old at the time of bis death. January 20, 1822, he was united in marriage with Miss Nancy Merrill, beginning their married life in Wayne county, N. Y., moving from there to Chautauque county. In 1827, where they resided until the mouth of October, 1867, when they came to Illinois, locating on the prairie near where the town of Cropsey is now situated. They came to this village In 1867 and, with the exception of a short time, he has since been a resident of this township. For the last few years be had been quite feeble, death being caused by a general giving away of the vital forces, Mr. and Mrs Stoddard were blessed with eleven children, six of whom and the mother preceded the father and husband to the better world. 
See memorial here.

APRIL 11, 1893
The funeral of the late Patrick Oliver, announced last week, was held from SS. Peter and Paul's church Saturday last at nine o’clock.
See memorial here.

APRIL 21, 1893
The burial of Franklin Oliver, the oldest resident of this township, took place from SS. Peter and Paul’s church on Thursday morning, Rev. Father J. J. Quinn conducting the services. Mr. Oliver had enjoyed his usual health until Saturday last, when he was kicked by a horse, from the effects of which he died on Tuesday morning, April 18. Deceased was the oldest survlving descendant of Franklin C. Oliver, who settled here among the Indians In 1832. At the time of his death he occupied part of his father’s original claim, living about four miles south of this city, on the edge of Oliver’s Grove.
See memorial here.

APRIL 21, 1893
Catherine Cahill McBride passed away at the home of her husband, John W. McBride, in Chicago, on Tuesday morning, April 18. Less than a year ago she went to her home in Chicago with all the pleasant expectations of a bride, having been married in Peoria April 28, 1892. Four years previous to her marriage she had spent in Peoria, but had resided in this city prior to that time. Deceased was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Cahill and was thirty years old at the time of her death. She leaves, besides her parents, brothers and sisters, and innumerable friends, her husband and an infant son two weeks old, to live to mourn her early demise. The funeral services were held from SS. Peter and Paul’s church on Thursday morning, Rev. Father Crowe of Utica, officiating and the remains were laid to rest In the Catholic cemetery. A large Dumber of sympathizing friends from this city, Peoria, Chicago. Kankakee and other points attended the services to show their last respects.  Kate Cahill, as she was beat known here, whom to know was to respect, and admire, and it Is seldom that the 
sad news of the death of any person is heard with such universal expressions of sadness and regrets. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of their large circle of friends in this, their greatest of bereavements.
See memorial here.

MAY 2, 1893
The funeral of Eugene McGuire of Saunemin was held at SS. Peter And Paul’s church Tuesday morning and the remains were Interred in the Catholic cemetery. Deceased was about seven years old.
See memorial here.

MAY 23, 1893
After a lingering illness with a complication of diseases. Elizabeth Flemming, wife of John Leggate, Esq. died at her home in Germanville township early Thursday morning. Mrs. Leggate was one of the earliest residents of this vicinity, having settled, with her husband, in Germanville township in 1857 on the farm where they have since resided. Mrs. Leggate had been a sufferer for some time and with her advanced age, death came, almost as a welcome deliverer. She leaves her aged husband and several children, all married, to mourn her loss. The funeral services will he held at 1 o'clock Saturday morning, with the interment in the Germanville cemetery.
See memorial here.

MAY 30, 1893
John McBride’s infant son, Joseph, passed away at the home of his maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. Cahill of this city, on Tuesday morning. The remains were Interred In the Catholic cemetery on Wednesday.
See memorial here.

JUNE 2, 1893
On the afternoon of Wednesday, May 24, Willis M. Caughey was found dead in the field near the cornplanter which he had been operating on a farm In Charlotte township. He was found lying oN his face and it Is supposed that he had fallen on his face in a paroxysm of epilepsy, to which he was subject, and striking his face in the soft dirt had smothered before assistance had arrived.

JUNE 2, 1893
Although not unexpected, the news of the death of Thomas E. Curran on Wednesday afternoon at 6:20 was a severe shock to the people
of this community. Mr. Curran had been in feeble health for a number of years and for the past few months had been quite poorly. On Wednesday morning he suffered the shock of a severe paralytic stroke, from which he did not rally. Squire Curran was a man who was identified with the most important interests of this  county and is one of the few who were instrumental in redeeming it from the wilderness. He was of a steady, industrious nature and was a man who was unhappy when unemployed. He had bean prominent in the affairs of this village until a year ago, when his failing health made it necessary for him to seek perfect quiet. He has since clung quite closely to his comfortable and pretty little home In the north part of town, where his death occurred. 

JULY 11, 1893
One of the saddest events which  has been our duty to chronicle for some time is the death of John W. McBride, which occurred at 
Emergency hospital, world's fair grounds, Chicago, at eight o'clock Monday evening, July 10. Mr. McBride was one of the victims of the 
terrible fire in the world’s fairgrounds last Monday afternoon, having been employed as head driver of one of the fire engines at 
the fairgrounds. When the alarm was turned in Monday he responded to the call, though at that time off duty , and met his death 
by jumping from the tower of the burning cold-storage building, when all other means of escape had been cut off. He received 
injuries which caused his death a few hours later. Mr. McBride, or John , as he is better known in this vicinity, was a favorite with 
all who knew him, and his death, under such circumstances, is universally deplored. The remains were brought to this city Wednesday noon and taken to the Cahill home, the  funeral services being held from SS. Peter and Paul’s church Thursday morning. Father 
J. J. Quinn chanted the Requiem mass and spoke words of comfort to the sorrowing friends, after which the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery.
See memorial here.

AUGUST 11, 1893
It is again our duty to chronicle the death of a member of the family of the late Franklin Oliver, making the third wlthin only a few months. Owen Oliver passed away at his home southwest of town at four o’clock Sunday morning, Aug. 6, that most fatal of diseases, consumption, claiming another life. For some time past his health had been very poor and for the past few months it had been such that he was hardly able to go to and from his home; but the reaper of death relieved him from his suffering-at the above named hour. Owen Oliver was a 
man all of whose acquaintances were friends, and the taking away will be mourned by all who knew him. He was born at Oliver’s Grove, south of town, where he bad spent most of his life, being 28 years old and unmarried at the lime of his death.
See memorial here.

OCTOBER 13, 1893
Nelson Brigham passed away very suddenly at his home at 7548 Wright street, Chicago, on Monday, Oct,9. Mr. Brigham was a resident of 
this city for fifteen years. He was born at Pomfret, Chautauqua county, New  York, on June 18, 1823, and came to this state, locating 
near Fairbury in 1857, coming to Chatsworth in 1885. In 1891 he removed to Chicago where he had since resided.

OCTOBER 31, 1893
Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Price have the sympathy of their many friends in the death of their six months-old son. The burial took place on Monday from the Baptlst church, Rev. Howland conducting the ceremony, and the remains were Interred In the Chatsworth cemetery. 

On Thursday morning, November 9, at SS. Peter and Paul's church, were held the funeral services of the late Mrs. Josephine Herr, who passed quietly away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Bertha Yakkee, of Edgerton, Ohio, on Monday morning, November 6, at the age of 77 years and 7 months. The body was brought to this city on the afternoon passenger Tuesday, the funeral being held Thursday morning and the remains were laid to rest in the Catholic cemetery.
See memorial here. 

The death of Miss Lottie Brigham of 7528 Wright Street, Chicago, occurred at one o'clock this morning at her late home. Death resulted from injuries received in the rear end collision on the Rock Island road at Eggeleston, Seventy-First street, Chicago, on Wednesday evening. Miss Brigham was returning from Chicago on the rear coach of the suburban train when it was struck by the heavy vestibuled passenger. Her injuries were principally about her head and limbs, which were terribly scalded by the steam escaping from the passenger engine. Deceased was a sister of Mrs. O. H. Brigham, , of this city, and was for many years a resident of Chatsworth. She was born here in the month of June, 1867, being the youngest daughter of the late Nelson Brigham, who died just one month ago. She was a young lady of unusually pleasant manner and had but to be known to be appreciated and loved. Her death, following so closely upon that of her father, comes as a shock almost unbearable to the bereaved relatives.

Mrs. Catherine Elbert, wife of Simon Elbert, an old and highly respected resident of Charlotte township, passed away at her late home on Wednesday morning shortly before one o'clock. Mrs. Elbert had always enjoyed very good health, and her last illness was of only short duration. About a week previous to her death she had taken sick with lung fever, which terminated in pneumonia. She was about 67 years old and was a native of Bavaria. Thirty seven years ago she was united in marriage with Simon Elbert, the result of the union being eight children, six sons and two daughters, who, with their father survive her. Mrs. Elbert had been a resident of Charlotte township for about fifteen years and had innumerable friends, to whom her sudden demise is a severe shock. The burial took place this morning from SS. Peter and Paul's church in this city, a large concourse of sympathizing friends accompanying the remains to their final resting place in the Catholic cemetery.
Note: Name on stone is Gertrude.

John Wrigley passed away at the home of his step-father, Benjamin Rounds, four miles southeast of town, on Wednesday morning at one o'clock. Deceased was a long sufferer, being thirty eight years, four months and twelve days old at the time of his death. The burial will take place on Sunday next from the Baptist church, this city.
See memorial here.

One of the most sudden and unexpected deaths which have occurred in this community for years was the sudden death of Mrs. John Ferrias, which occurred on Tuesday evening, Dec. 12, at her late home, one-half mile west of this city. Mrs. Ferrias had walked to town in the afternoon, as she had often done for years, and returned home about four o'clock, after doing some trading. Although not perfectly well, she had enjoyed as good health as she had for several months past, partook of the evening meal with the family and sat down, as was her custom, to read the Word of God, and while thus engaged death overtook her, and she passed away in a very few minutes. Isabel Marie Piver was born in St. Michaels, Allegora, Portugal, August 19, 1843, and when nineteen years of age was married to John Ferrias at the place of her birth and they came to Ford county in 1871, where they remained a short time and then removed to this town, where they have since resided. Funeral services were held from the Baptist church on Thursday afternoon and the remains were laid to rest in the Chatsworth cemetery.
See memorial here.