Stories of interest from our hometown paper over the years.


MARCH 1, 1912

Benton Harbor, Mich., Feb. 22, 1912
Editor Plaindealer --I am indebted to Mr. John Jackson now of Clinton, Iowa, for a late copy of your paper containing the funeral of Samuel Patton, an old time resident of Chatsworth which recalls to mind the happy days I spent in your burg in the early seventies, as founder and publisher of the Plaindealer. In tracing the calendar back, I find that it will be thirty nine years, October next, since I  uploaded my print shop, and struck off the first number of the Plaindealer, having moved the outfit from Bloomington. 
A careful perusal of the paper at this time does not reveal to me a single name of the names of many advertisers that were patrons of the paper at that time. In looking back to those days of long ago, I imagine in my mind's eye that I can still see the full column ads of Hall & Crane, E.A. Bangs & Co., J.T. Bullard, and the half and quarter columns of Wienland & Gingerich, John Walter, John Young, Ross & Yates, N.C. Kenyon, John True, J.W. Wann, L. Speicher, O. Sanford, F. Felker, Searing Bros., Wm. Wakelin, John Stillwell, N.A. Myers and Wm. Hall, together with the professional cards of S.T. Fosdick, Geo. Torrence, Squires Curran & Sears, Drs. C.K. wiles, True, Hunt, Bostock and Badgely. I presume most of these people have passed on, or are located elsewhere, and are still subscribers of the paper.
There are now left but three editors, namely: Ed. Johnson, of Pontiac; E.N. Stevens, of Paxton; and Eugene Baldwin, formerly of El Paso, that were on my exchange list at that time  
I am informed that your city has greatly improved, and pulled itself out of the mud, since the time I drew my rations from its commissary stores. The improvements are paved streets, electric lights, waterworks, etc., and probably you have a skyscraper or two, a mayor and a few boddie aldermen to make things lively.
I would like you to know if your subscribers are as good to you as mine used to be to me in the way of donations of dressed turkeys and chickens at Christmas time and seven kinds of wedding cake when they married off their daughters. Well here's hoping that the Plaindealer will still go thundering down the ages dropping out here and there a millionaire who has waxed fat and prospered on the receipts of its lucrative business and easy money.  
Yours truly, 
Charles B. Holmes 

MARCH 1, 1912

Martin Kueffner,Sr., has divided equally his property, consisting of 400 acres of fine farm land and a residence proper in Chatsworth, among the three children, Wm. Kueffner, Charles Kueffner and Mrs. Mary Kratz. the farm land is located partly in Livingston and partly in Ford counties, and is divided among the three children, the residence property, lots 3 and 4 in block 3 in Chatsworth, going to his daughter, Mrs. Kratz, with whom he has made him home for the past 17 years.  

MARCH 1, 1912

John Ryan,Jr., son of Mr. and Mrs. John F. Ryan, of this city, who injured his eye on St. Valentine's day, by letting a knife slip and cut the eyeball, will be compelled to go through life without the eye, as the member was removed by Chicago surgeons, in order to save the other eye, as it was feared the inflamation from the injured one would affect the other eye. John's hosts of friends regret his great misfortune, and trust that he may soon recover and regain the strength of the remaining eye. The boy is but nine years old.  

MARCH 15, 1912

A new firm will embark in business in Chatsworth about the first of next month, and will be known as the J.F. Dorsey Produce Company. The company is composed of J.F. Dorsey, who will be general manager of the business, and a number of Chatsworth residents. The premises formerly occupied by the Chatsworth Garage Co., has been leased. The building is located on the main business street in the east block on the south side of the street. The company will deal in produce of all kinds, including butter, eggs, poultry, etc., and are preparing to go after business. Mr. Dorsey has been engaged in the business for a number of years, is well known to the people of Chatsworth and vicinity having lived his entire life here, and his many friends wish him success.  

MARCH 29, 1912

The last week's issue of the Chatsworth Times, under date of March 22, contained the following: 
By order of the stockholders of the Chatsworth Printing Co., the publication of The Times and all work in the plant will be suspended. All unexpired subscriptions will be refunded on demand at the office of Albert F. Walter, secretary and treasurer of the Chatsworth Printing Company. 
We wish to thank the many friends and patrons of the paper for the loyal support they have given it. 
Chatsworth Printing Co. 

APRIL 5, 1912

The following are the results of some of the township elections held in this section of the state on Tuesday last:
Chatsworth---Four hundred votes were cast, 12 of which were scattering and defective. There were quite spirited contest for the offices of collector and commissioner of highways. The local option question was not an issue. The following is the vote:  
For supervisor, J.C. Corbett, 320; for Town clerk, J.F. Dorsey, 320; for Assessor, Charles Roberts, 312; for Collector, H. Royal, 216; William Cahill, 176; for Commissioner of Highways, John Donavan, 213; C.B. Strawn, 174; for Trustee of Schools, James Snyder, 316; for Cemetery Trustees, Ed. Entwistle, 288; A.K. Pratt, 285. 

Charlotte---Local option not an issue; 55 votes cast, 52 being straight tickets; but one ticket in the field. The following were elected; supervisor, H.M. Flessner; clerk, R.C. Ommen; assessor, Robert Caughey; collector, Herman Gerdes, commissioner, Thomas Askew.  

Germanville---But one ticket in the field; but 26 votes cast. The following elected without opposition; clerk, Charles B. Schroen; assessor, Elmer A. Knight; collector, William Lynch; commissioner, Frank Kemnetz; constables, William Lynch and Frank Hummel.  
Note: The local option was whether to be a wet or dry community.  

APRIL 22, 1912

On Sunday afternoon at about 5:30 o'clock Chatsworth and vicinity was visited by one of the worst storms which has been experienced here in many years, but fortunately no lives were lost. The property loss will aggregate thousands of dollars and is impossible to   estimate. The furious wind coming from the southwest, left devastation in its path, demolishing barns and outbuildings, uprooting trees, smashing windows and scaring the people into their cellars. Very little damage was done in Chatsworth north of the business street, but on the south side of town the storm seemed to spend its fury. 
The first serious results in the path of the tornado were at the farm owned by J.A. Straight, of Petoskey, Mich., and occupied by Herb Nimbler, near St. Patrick's cemetery, southwest of town. The barn was so badly damaged, that it cannot be repaired and will be torn down, the barn cupola and some of the timbers being blown across the barn yard and road into the cemetery. Passing through the south part of the village the next extensive damage was done at the Patrick J. Lawless place at the southeast side of town, where the roof was blown off, the big barn and nearly every other building on the farm, except the house, was either blown away or torn to pieces. He estimates his loss at over $3,500. At William F. Thurner's place northeast of Chatsworth, the fury of the storm was again very evident, nearly all his buildings being demolished. The house is badly wrecked and the big crib and large barn destroyed. His automobile was crushed beneath a heavy building. His loss is estimated at about $4,000. Mr. and Mrs. Thurner were away from home, visiting in Peoria county, and did not arrive home until Tuesday morning. The children went to the neighbors. A.K. Pratt's barn was badly racked, the chimney blown off his house and porch destroyed and a large number of his choicest apple trees ruined, and he estimates his loss at about $800. The bay window of the home of Mrs. Amelia Conrad, west of the Evangelical church was literally blown into the house.  
On the main business street the steel awnings in front of Garrity & Baldwin's clothing store, and L.J. Haberkkorn's confectionery and music store, were demolished, but fortunately the plate glass fronts were not injured. The plate glass front was blown in at Ira L. Pearson's shoe store, in the Herr building, and both of the plate glass in the front of Herman Walter's saloon building, owned by John Brown, were blown in, and the top of the brick wall of the building was blown off.  
On the south side of town the havoc was so great that it is impossible to make mention of all damage. Barns and outbuildings were destroyed or moved off their foundations, at the residences of John Dorsey, Dick Brennan, John Walter, Jesse Moore, Adam Ellinger, Mrs. Elizabeth Frobish, Charles Dorsey, Harm Frieden, Ralph Borgman and William Walker, and any number of chimneys were blown down and window glass broken all over the south side of town, and a few on the north side. At William Walker's one of his horses was pinned beneath the wreckage of his barn, and was extricated after considerable trouble. Harm Frieden's barn was moved into the street, and his horse left standing where the barn had been. Henry Game's barn was entirely blown away, not over a dozen boards being left. The roof of his house was also badly damaged. Louis Shols house was quite badly damaged, the chimney being blown down, and the slate roof blown off in part, and the rain ruined the decorations in the upper rooms. J. O. Perkins' residence, formerly the Turner place, lost the porch and eave troughs and the coal house and chicken house were blown off the lot. Henry Glabe's porch was blown away, also his chicken house and coal house. S. Moore's house was damaged to some extent as was also Mrs. Nora Turpett's and Edward Entwistle's. The little German Lutheran church in the southeast part of town, was totally demolished, being moved off the foundation, half the roof blown away and the building literally broken in two. Mrs. Edna Roberts' house, which was being raised and stood on blocks, was moved by the wind and considerably damaged. At C. H. Bayston's place south of town slight damage was done to the house. 
Clyde Wilson, who resides north of Piper City, lost two head of horses when his barn was demolished and he and his wife were injured, being unconscious for a time. Sam Wells, who lived northeast of Piper City is minus a house, barn and other buildings, the storm having taken everything off the place, but the floor of the crib. He expects to sell off his stock and what implements are left and he and his family have gone into Pipe city to live. There were numerous other losses in the locality. 
The electric light service was put out of commission on Sunday evening, by broken wires and poles, but was in running order by Monday evening. Part of the slate roof was torn off the T.P.&W. depot, and any number of buildings were twisted and in some instances holes were broken through the weather boarding and roofs of houses by flying derbis. The heaviest wind was not accompanied by rain, but as the wind subsides, the rain fell in torrents, being accompanied by considerable hail. Before the heavy wind came hail stones as big as walnuts fell, in fact the biggest hail in many years.  
Three persons were killed by the storm on Sunday afternoon near Reddick, in the northern part of Livingston county. They were Mr. and Mrs. Nelson Hulse and their eleven months old child. At Reddick the depot was demolished, the top of the elevator blown away, the signal tower of the Wabash railroad was demolished, the residence of Daniel Murphy destroyed, barns, cribs and other buildings destroyed. In the vicinity of Dwight, the Dooley schoolhouse was demolished, the house and barn of Chris Sorensen were destroyed, and various other barns in the path of the storm were destroyed. At the Tobey farm, the barn was picked up leaving 13 head of horses standing where their stalls had been, and it is said not one of them was injured. At Mazon and Lorenzo considerable damage was also done. In the norther part of Iroquois county, much damage was done, and seven lives lost. In the southern part of Illinois great damage is also reported, and many lives lost  

MAY 3, 1912

A deal was consummated on Thursday of this week between F.M. Bushway, proprietor of the merchandising establishment of Bushway and Co., and the Smith Buchanan Co., of Tuscola, Ill., whereby the later company will become the owners of the Bushway store. The store will be closed on Monday next to complete invoicing. The members of the Smith, Buchanan Co. conduct stores in various cities of this state.  
Fred M. Bushway has been identified with the dry good business since he was a mere lad, and has been engaged in the business in Chatsworth for nearly twenty-five years. Bushway and Co. have done more to bring trade to Chatsworth than any concern which has ever been in business here, having advertised extensively and drawn trade from a territory which formerly went elsewhere. Mr. Bushway is an energetic business man, an exceptionally good salesman, and a hustler and business getter. He has found time outside his business to serve the people in a most satisfactory manner as president of the board of trustees of the village of Chatsworth, being re-elected to the office without opposition. Mr. and Mrs. Bushway and two sons, Vernon and Miller, have a large circle of friends who will regret to see them leave Chatsworth. As soon as Mr. Bushway concludes closing up his business affairs here, they expect to go to California, where they will make their home.

MAY 17, 1912

Prof. L.C. Smith, of Lacon, Ill., has been appointed as superintendent of the Chatsworth public schools to succeed Prof. W.A. Baylor, who was not a candidate for reappointment, having decided to devote his time to the mercantile business of Baylor Bros. Prof. Smith was in Chatsworth the forepart of the week, net the members of the board of education and a number of Chatsworth citizens, and is reputed to be a gentleman of scholarly attainments.  

JUNE 14, 1912

On Tuesday evening, at The Grand, occurred the thirtieth commencement exercises of the Chatsworth High School. Six young people were awarded their diplomas in the presence of an audience which filled the opera house.  
The stage was beautifully decorated with plants and flowers, and across the front and above the stage was the class motto, "Out of School Life Into Life's School", done in the class colors, white letters on maroon background. 
The program opened with an instrumental duet by Misses Margaret Brown and Esther Walter, following which Rev. V.A. Crumbaker, pastor of the Methodist church, invoked the divine blessing. the high school girls' chorus rendered "Sing on Sweet Bird", and Dr. Edward Amherst Ott delivered the address of the evening, taking for his subject, "Sour Grapes". Everyone had high expectations of Dr. Ott's lecture, and it is safe to say that no one was disappointed. Russell L. Spiecher rendered the vocal solo, "When the Winds O'er the Sea Blow a Gale", after which Prof. W.A. Baylor presented the class of 1912 with their diplomas. The high school chorus rendering "Columbia Queen of the Nations", completing the program, after which Rev. V.A. Crumbaker pronounced the benediction.
The personnel of the class of 1912 is as follows; Misses Goldie E. Foreman, Eunce Shols and Emma A. Glabe, Messrs. Elmer N. Froebe, Bloice W. Cunnington and Russell L. Spiecher.  

JUNE 14, 1912

The Chatsworth High School Alumni Association held its annual reception and banquet at the Grand on Wednesday evening, plates being laid for something over one hundred. The following program was rendered; instrumental solo, Mrs. F.T. Matthews; roll call; vocal solo, Mrs. H.P. Baylor; address of welcome, Miss Eliza Dorsey; response, Miss Goldie Forman; duet, Misses Neva Roberts and Linda Ilanna; song, by high school girls. A three course supper was served by the Ladies' Aid Society of the M.E. Church. W.A. Baylor presides as toast master, and the following persons responded to toasts; C.G. Dorsey, Miss Blanche Hagaman, Henry Glabe, S.S. Hitch and Geo. J. Walter. The toastmaster made a few closing remarks and rendered a vocal solo.  

AUGUST 9, 1912

On Tuesday morning at 6:30 o'clock at SS. Peter and Paul's parsonage, Rev. W.J. Burke united in marriage Miss Lucy M. Reinhardt and Mr. William Charles Quinn, both well known and highly respected business people of Chatsworth. Mr. and Mr. John Quinn were witnesses. Following the ceremony, the wedding breakfast was served at the home of the groom's parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. Quinn, only the immediate relatives being present, and the newly married couple departed for Chicago where they took passage on a steamer for Detroit and Buffalo, and from the later place will go to New York City.  
The bride has conducted a millinery business in Chatsworth for a number of years, having come here from Cullom. She is a young lady of pleasing personality, and has a host of friends in this community who wish her joy and happiness in her new relation. The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. M. Quinn, of this city, formerly of the vicinity of Strawn. He has been engaged in the drug business in Chatsworth for several years and is popular and capable. His many friends unite with those of the bride in extending congratulations on his winning for his life's helpmate, one of Chatsworth's most popular ladies.
Mr. and Mrs. Quinn expect to return to Chatsworth about the twentieth of August, but have not announced their arrangements after their return. 

AUGUST 16, 1912

The fact that good work is appreciated by the people in general, was demonstrated again this week in this locality, when Merkle & Sons, of Peoria, who have put a large number of monuments in the cemeteries of this part of the state, unloaded two carloads of new monuments at Chatsworth and erected them in Chatsworth's cemeteries. The firm also is erecting at Piper City and Fairbury. In the  Chatsworth cemeteries the following monuments have been placed this week; Thomas H. Aaron, Mary Monahan, Lawrence Farrell and wife, Anna M., wife of Henry Berlet, D.J. Stanford, Alice, wife of S.R. Puffer, Joseph Hubly, Peter Reising and wife, Mrs. Clementine Flessner, Albert Flessner, , John Moran and wife, Jacob Gerbracht, John Klehm, Margaret, wife of James Swannick, Franklin Oliver and wife, Patrick, John and Owen Oliver, James Kane and wife, Thomas G. Meister, Frank Hollywood. In the Piper City cemeteries are the following; Thomas McDermott, Jane Gallahue, Harriett Pearson. In the Fairbury cemeteries are the following; James Harrington, Mrs. Jerry Sullivan, Patrick Durran and wife, Elizabeth, wife of A.R. Foster, Justa Harrison, wife of John Mayne, Homer Dierkes. 

AUGUST 16, 1912

The Plaindealer office machinery is now operated by power generated by an electric motor, installed last week, and taking place of the gasoline engine which has furnished power for the past ten and a half years. With the large newspaper press printing four pages of the newspaper at a time at the rate of 1200 copies per hour, a folder which folds faster than the press will print, and the electric motor furnishing steady and abundant power, the papers are delivered ready for mailing in an expeditious manner. The aim of the publishers is to get the Plaindealer into the post office regularly each Friday afternoon, so that out-going mails Friday evening will carry the papers to subscribers living away from Chatsworth, and in order to do so every convenience and improvement within reason is added to the Plaindealer office equipment as the business will justify it.  

AUGUST 30, 1912

The Livingston County Democrat last week contained the portrait and the following article concerning Frank A. Ortman, democratic candidate for the office of State's Attorney.  
Mr. Ortman is a product of Livingston County, having been raised at Chatsworth where he graduated from the Chatsworth high  school with the class of 1901. He then entered the literary department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor where he took a preparatory course for the study of law. The next year he entered the Law Department of the same University, and three years later graduated with honors, from that institution. After taking and passing the Illinois State Bar Examination the following summer he accepted a position as Assistant State's Attorney for Ford County, which position he held until five years ago when he came to Pontiac and entered into partnership with A.C. Norton, since which time he has been actively engaged in the trial cases in the Supreme, Appellate, Circuit and County Courts. His record as a lawyer is well known to the people of Livingston County who have served as jurors within the past five years, as he has participated in the trial of more tan a majority of the cases tried during that time. 
In the spring of 1911 he was elected City Attorney of the City of Pontiac on the Democratic ticket and his record as a public official is too well known to the citizens of Pontiac to need any comment. His annual report to the city council last April showed that he had collected in fines in prosecutions for violations of city ordinances the sum of $586.00. We find upon examination of the records that this amount is over two hundred dollars more than was ever turned in before for the same length of time. We also note that the city of Pontiac paid him for his services during that time the sum of $360.00, this deducted from the cash turned into the city treasury by him leaves a cash profit which the city made on this services of $226, and in addition to this he did all of their legal work including $60,000.00 worth of local improvements. This we submit is a record worthy of endorsement.  
As a prosecuting officer he has always been fair and impartial. He has kept the promise he made in his inaugural address to the city council in which he stated; that whenever a reputable citizen comes to him and makes a complaint there will be a prosecution regardless of who it may hit.  
In addition to his duties as a prosecuting officer he has been active in the welfare of Pontiac. Many new and valuable ordinances have been drawn by him and passed by the city council. Through his efforts the dump ground was removed from the city, gas was secured  on the west side of the Alton tracks, a contract was entered into with the light company for ornamental street lights and many other needed improvements.  
As a citizen he is respected by all who know him. He is thirty-one years of age, married and has a family of two children and we bespeak that if he is elected State's Attorney on Nov. 5th the people of Livingston County will receive the most honest, clean and efficient services that the citizens of Pontiac have received at his hands and we believe it to be the duty of everyone, regardless of political affiliations, to encourage honest public service by rewarding those who give it.  

See photo here.

SEPTEMBER 27, 1912
Antone Kemnitz was fatally shot on Saturday evening at a charivari (chivaree) party upon Mr. and Mrs. Henry Stehley, who were married at Pontiac on Thursday, announcement of the marriage being published in these columns last week. Mr. and Mrs. Stehley were at the home of Daniel Hornstein, in Germanville township, south of this city, and "Tony" Kemnitz, in company with a crowd of neighbors and friends of the couple were charivarying (chivareeing) them. Frank and Ernest Kemnitz and Fidel Hummel carried shot guns, which discharged a number of times, and Kemnitz was accidentally shot and died in about twenty minutes. He died before a physician who was summoned could arrive at the scene of the accident.  
Coroner W.E. Slyder, of Pontiac, went to the scene of the accident on Sunday, and held an inquest. The following jury was impaneled: John W. Walsh, foreman; Henry Hornickel, Henry Gerbracht, William Hanna, Charles Bayston and Fred Hornickel. The examination of the witnesses failed to divulge who fired the shot which caused Kemnitz' death, all being, positive that the shooting was purely accidental, and the jury returned a verdict to the effect that he came to his death by the accidental discharge of a shotgun, and held no one to blame.
Mrs. Stehley, the bride who was being charivaried (chivareed), and whose maiden name is Sophia Hornstein, is a sister of Mrs. Antone Kemnitz. The unfortunate man had been in the Chatsworth hospital for a number of months, having been terribly burned by the explosion of a lamp at his home late last winter, and was just about recovered from the injury.  
Antone Kemnitz was born in Germanville township, September 3, 1877, and had lived his entire life in this corner of Livingston county. He was united in marriage with Annie Hornstein, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Hornstein, of Germanville township, on February 17, 1909. One son was born to the union, who with the grief stricken wife, survives. He also leaves four brothers; Frank, William, Joseph and Henry, and four half brothers, Jacob, Ernest, George and Frederick. His step mother, Mrs. Jesse Moore, of this city also survives. 
The funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at the Germanville Lutheran church, and the interment was at the Germanville cemetery. The Chatsworth and Strawn M.W. of A. attended the services.

Note: 1.Name spelling should be Kemnetz.
         2.Chivaree is the dictionary spelling for a noisy wedding party given on the night of the wedding. 

OCTOBER 4, 1912

Henry Wurzberger, who resided south of this city in Germanville township, about six miles east of Strawn, fell from his wagon on Friday evening last, and received injuries from which he died at an early hour on Saturday (Sept.28) morning. He had been in Strawn on Friday afternoon and left for home with a load of coal at about 5:30 o'clock. When about five miles east of town, he fell off the wagon, which passed over his body, fracturing his leg in two places and crushing the pelvis bone. His team went home, and the family becoming alarmed his sons went in search of him. He was found near the home of Henry Brantz, who resides on the Chatsworth-Germanville township line. The unfortunate man was suffering terrible, and was taken to his home and medical aid summoned, but nothing could be done to save him, and his death occurred at about one o'clock on Saturday morning.  
Deceased was in the neighborhood of 52 year of age and is survived by his wife and five sons. He had lived at Fairbury a short time ago, but had returned to his farm. 
Coroner Slyder went to Strawn and held an inquest over the remains, the jury returning a verdict to the effect that deceased came to his death in the above stated manner. 

OCTOBER 11, 1912

Mr. and Mrs. Robert Rosenboom, who were married on Sunday, September 29, at Arenzville, Ill., arrived in Chatsworth on Monday from their wedding trip to Niagara Falls, northern Michigan and other points, and were give a hearty reception and charavari (chivaree)
The new Mrs. Rosenboom was Miss Olga Traeger, prior to her marriage. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Herman Traeger, of Arenzville, and the wedding was celebrated at the Lutheran church in that place, Rev. Pett officiating. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Ruppel attended the bride and groom. 
Mr. and Mrs. Rosenboom will reside in the new residence owned by the groom at the southwest corner of the Chatsworth park, where they will be surrounded by the best wishes of their many friends. 

Note: Chivaree is the dictionary spelling for a noisy wedding party given on the night of the wedding.

NOVEMBER 15, 1912

On Friday last the Central Illinois Utilities Company, which controlled the electric plants in this city, Fairbury, Gilman, Watseka and Onarga, closed the deal which has been being negotiated for some time, and turned the properties over to Myers and Co., of Chicago, for a consideration of $256,750 in cash. The new owners will continue to operate the present plants until a central station can be built and equipped to furnish current for the various towns now being lighted, namely, Watseka, Gilman, Milford, Onarga, Piper City,  Chatsworth, Forrest and Fairbury. At least this is announced as their intentions, and other towns in this section of the state may be added to the list to be supplied from the new station. The engineers representing the new company were in Chatsworth on Saturday last and inspected the local station, etc., and during the past week have visited all of the plants which have been acquired.
J.B. Grotevant, who has had charge of Chatsworth and some of the other towns in this neighborhood, has been appointed manager for the new owners for Chatsworth, Piper City, Forrest and Fairbury. The new owners will continue to conduct the business in the name of the Central Illinois Utilities Company.  
The stock holders in the selling company were as follows: H.F. Foster, Fairbury, $53.300; W.B. Decker, Fairbury, $35,000; J.E. Owens, Onarga, $17,600; Frank Owens, Onarga, $1,900; Harry Firth, Watseka, $52,700; J.B. Grotevant, Chatsworth, $8,400; Rn.N. Firth, Watseka, $37,000; H.T. Riddell, Watseka, $42,200; L.A. Walter, Chatsworth, $37,000; J.C. Corbett, Chatsworth, $1,400; George J. Walter, Chatsworth, $2,100; R.C. Allen, Gilman, $35,200.

NOVEMBER 22, 1912

Mrs. Lydia Walters, formerly of this city (Peoria) and a survivor of the disastrous Chatsworth wreck which sent more than 100 souls to their doom and maimed scores of others when a heavily loaded excursion train ran into an open culvert several years ago, died at her residence in Beardstown Tuesday (Nov. 19)at the age of fifty-nine years. 
Mrs. Walters was a resident of Peoria at the time of the wreck. She was badly crippled and disfigured in the accident but recovered from the effects of her injuries after many months. 
Twelve years ago she moved to Beardstown, where she conducted a boarding house for many years. About a year ago she was taken seriously ill and had never fully recovered. Last week she became suddenly worse and died last Tuesday evening Before here death she requested that she be buried in Peoria. --Peoria Herald Transcript.