FILES FROM THE CHATSWORTH PALINDEALER
Stories of interest from our hometown paper over the years.
March 18, 1887
St. Patrick's Entertainment
The entertainment given last evening by the pupils of St. Patrick's Academy in their hall, was well attended. The program, as published in our last issue, was rendered in a manner to reflect much credit upon pupils and instructors. The first number on the program was a tribute to the Patton Saint by a large chorus of young ladies, after which, in a few well-chosen words, Miss Nellie Donavan welcomed the audience. Next was a trio by Misses Herr, Harrington and Ryan, with accompaniment on the organ, tambourine, triangle and bells, followed by an excellent recitation by the minims. The operetta, "The Quarrel Among the Flowers", was well rendered by a number of little girls, who, after much trouble, succeeded in crowing the beautiful rose queen of all flowers. A trio was next, well given by Misses Rice, Wells and Harrington, followed by an amusing medley by a chorus of young ladies. "Kitty's Funeral", as given by Misses Julia Coughlin, Ida Reising, and Gussie DeLong, was well worth the approval it received and was followed by an instrumental solo, well rendered, by Miss Ora Smith. The drama, "Aunt Peabody's Visit to the City", was well given, very laughable and had an excellent moral. "Please give me a penny Sir", was placed before the audience in such a pathetic manner that tears were to be seen in the eyes of several. This was followed by a trio of Misses Murtaugh, Coughlin, and Donavan, after which a vocal solo, "Wearing of the Green", by Miss Helena Aaron, was heartily received. A chorus by a number of young ladies closed the evening's entertainment, and all present were apparently well satisfied.
TO THE PATRONS OF THE CHATSWORTH HERALD
AUGUST 5, 1887
Having purchased the entire interest of the above paper, I have arranged with the Plaindealer proprietor to fill the subscription list. The subscription book is in the hands of Esq. Thomas S. Curran, where all those in arrears are invited to call and settle.
The First Alumni Banquet
May 27, 1887
The Alumni Association of the Chatsworth High School will be held in the Town Hall Wednesday evening, June 8. The invitations have been issued, each alumnus to have the privilege of inviting two guests. The officers of the C.H.S.A. are: president, Wellington Fehr; vice-president, Louisa Stevens; secretary, M. Kate Bigham; assistant secretary, Carrie Stevens; treasurer, Effie Watson; corresponding secretaries, Kate W. Hall and Mary Stevens. The officers, with Eliza Dorsey, M. Eva Smith, and C.F. Schlabach, form the executive committee. The reception committee are Grace A. Sears, Kate Taggert, Kate Levering, Helen M. Hall, Nellie Fitzmaurice. The following is the:
Instrumental solo......Minnie Larned, '85
President's Address......Wellington Fehr, '83
Address of Welcome to Class of '87......Louisa Stevens,'81
Response......Anna D. Elfrink, '87
Vocal Solo - "The Better Land"......Grace A. Sears, '85
"Our Sweet Boy Graduate"......Miss M.M. Brown
"The Three Old Maids of Lee"......Kate Levering, '82
"The Three Generals"......Effie Watson, '84
"The Class of 1885"......Jessie T. True, '85
"May We Live to Learn, and Learn to Live Well"......Edith M. Palmer, '86
"After School Life"......Prof. C.E. Schlabach
"The School Bell"......Miss A.M. Schlabach
"Toast"......Mr. Jas. A. smith
Instrumental Solo......Kate W. Hall, '85
Note: "The School Bell" written by Miss A.M. Schlabach, daughter of Prof. Schlabach. Read Here.
THE PLAINDEALER'S FUTURE HOME
FEBRUARY 24, 1888
This week the proprietor of the PLAINDEALER closed a contract with Messrs. Sanders Bros., of Ottawa, Ill., for the erection of an edifice, which, when completed, will be a substantial improvement, as well as permanent ornament, to our little city. The site of this structure will be the east half of lot nine, block twenty-two, which is central and one of the best business locations in the place. The building will be 25 feet front by 80 feet deep, two stories high, with a cellar. The structure will rest upon a substantial stone foundation, and the side wall and back wall, which are to be 15 inches thick, will be of Messrs. Geo.J. Walter & Co.'s Chatsworth brick.
The front will rise to a height of 40 feet from the street level, and will be both imposing and attractive. It will be of Chicago pressed brick laid in black mortar, with stone trimmings. A twelve-inch galvanized iron lintel cornice, with end brackets, will ornament the space just above the windows of the first floor. The doors are to be recessed, each with transom. The side lights and front lights will also have transoms. The two lights in doors, the two front lights and two side lifts are to be the best polished plate-glass from the Creighton glass Works. the five transoms, reaching across the entire front, are to be Cathedral glass borders, with A.A. double-strength plate-glass centers. The windows, four in number, on the second floor are to be two lights, with inside blinds. The whole surmounted with a galvanized iron cornice of an attractive and pleasing design.
The first floor will be finished up for a store room, with hard-finished walls, and will have a hard-wood maple floor, corrugated iron ceiling, and will be furnished with shelving and tables of the latest design, finished in cherry.
The second floor where the Plaindealer will have its home, will be furnished with this object in view. Entrance to the second floor will be by a flight of stairs at the west side of the building. The front part of the second floor will be partitioned into offices, with a view to both convenience and comfort. In the rear will be a room 42 1/2 by 22 1/2 feet, which will be occupied as a press and composing room. Entrance can be made to this from from the front hall or by a stairway at the rear of the building. It will receive ample light from two windows in the rear and two patent skylights and will be a model of convenience and comfort.
The only side exposure to fire will be the doorway from the front stairway, which will be provided with a patent door-frame and double iron doors.
The contract provides for the completion of the work on or before Sept. 1 next, but should all things work to advantage we hope to occupy it at an earlier date.
JUNE 15, 1888
Graduates of the Chatsworth High School and invited guest to the number of nearly a hundred gathered at the Town Hall Monday evening last and were welcomed by the reception committee consisting of Kate Levering, M. Eva Smith, and Phebe Spiecher. The hall was tastefully decorated with lambrequins on the windows, bearing the names of the successive classes. Potted plants were arranged on wall mantels; pictures, fans, and curtains were used with aesthetic skill. Perhaps the most attractive sight was the two tables extending the full length of the hall, and bright with flowers and table furniture, and groaning under the weight of good things. Louie Haberkorn, with the force of capable assistants, was in attendance to serve the refreshments. About 9 o'clock order was called and Kate W. Hall rendered, with pleasing effect, a piano solo. This was followed by the roll-call of alumni, those present responding with quotations appropriate to the occasion. This was followed by an address by the president, Miss Effie Watson. This was delivered in the clear, forcible manner usual of her, and contained many sound, sensible ideas. This was followed by a vocal quartette, by Mrs. H.M. Bangs, Anna Elfrink, and Messrs. W.E. Castle and H.M. Bangs. It was received with well merited applause.
Seats at the table were taken, and Mr. Jas. A. Smith, on taking his place as toast-master, made a few remarks on the subject of the teacher's work and what our schools should teach. This and other addresses given will be given at length in this or succeeding issues. To the toast, "Feasts of Other Days," Miss Phebe Spiecher gave a neat response. Miss Campbell told of the strange things to be found in "My Garret." "The Alumni" were remembered, and the individuality of the different classes pointed out, in a well worded response by M. Eva Smith.
The viands* were then attacked, and for nearly two hours resisted the onslaughts of the advancing hosts. The alumni entertained the guests with a few impromptu pieces of music. At length time was called, and Miss Nellie Fitzmaurice rendered, with fine effect, a guitar solo, and was greeted with generous applause and an encore. M. Kate Bigham handled, in a pleasant and forcible style, the subject, "The Man With a Purpose." "Ben" Pumpelly began with "Nothing," ended with "Nothing," but, in spite of Isabel's predictions, fully convinced the audience that something can be made of "Nothing." The toast, "Under the Surface" was responded to by Louisa Stevens, followed by Prof. C.E. Schlabach in a seance, under the title of "Our Unbidden Guests." An instrumental solo was rendered, with excellent expression and faultless execution, by Miss Ora Smith.
The ices were then served, and the closing number was a quartette composed of Mrs. H.M. Bangs, Anna Elfrink, and Messrs. H.M. Bangs and H.I. Pumpelly. They received a recall, and, commencing with a quartette, soon became a trio, then a duet, and finally left Ben posing as a solo artist. It was in the "wee sma' hours" before the hall was deserted. All present will remember it as one of the pleasantest occasions. The committees deserve a word of praise for the admirable arrangements.
Note: Viand- an item of food, a choice tasty dish.
The P.L. Cook Grocery is mentioned.