The following is an archive of Chartist commemoration activities in South Wales for the period September 2007 - November 2008.
2008 Chartist Events
PROGRAMME details here
- Saturday 12th
- Market Square Church Hall, Merthyr Tydfil
- Community Chartist Stories – Our Chartist Ancestors
- A day event hosted by the Dic Penderyn Society
- Programme details here
2007 | Chartist Anniversary Events
See enlarged poster here (Source: The National Archives)
Nov 2007 | This years' Chartist anniversary clebrations saw the launch of a petition to Parliament for a Democracy Day bank holiday. In addition an Early Day Motion was tabled in the House of Commons by the MP for Newport West:
- On Saturday 3 Nov 2007 at the Chartist Ancestors event, a petition was launched for the celebration of a Democracy Day bank holiday in November | Read South Wales Argus article here
- On Tuesday 6 November an Early Day motion for Democracy Bank Holiday was presented to Parliament by the MP for Newport West | EDM 8 | DEMOCRACY BANK HOLIDAY | 06.11.2007 | Flynn, Paul | That this House believes that the pioneering sacrifices of those who sowed the seeds of British democracy should be celebrated with a new Bank Holiday on the Monday nearest to 4th November, the anniversary of the killing of more than 20 Chartist insurgents in Newport in 1839, recalling other significant events in the history of the Suffragettes (1903) and the Putney debates (1647); and calls for a fresh appreciation of the value of the courage and vision of past generations in order to defend, promote and develop Britain's democratic institutions. | Early Day Motion
- Sunday 4 November 2007
- A guided coach tour around Chartism sites across South East Wales, to commemorate the Anniversary of the Newport Chartist Rising of 4 November 1839.
- Organised by Herian (Heritage in Action)
- Itinerary and booking information here
- The Newport Chartist Rising | video clip of Chartist Tour
- A Chartist Tour | A reflection by John Wilson
Announcing the Newport Chartist Mural Documentation Project | September 2007
Newport Museum and Art Gallery is producing the Newport Chartist Mural Documentation Project, in partnership with Modus and Public Art Wales.
The Newport Chartist Mural Documentation Project will be archived online at chartistnewport.org, which we plan to extend into an ongoing project to record the heritage of Chartism and public art in Newport and South Wales.