Are you interested in learning about bees or how to become a beekeeper?
Beekeeping can be done on a smaller scale at home in the urban environment as well as in rural areas. Many CABA beekeepers have a single hive or a few hives in their backyards which flourish and not only aid our community by increasing the overall population and gene-pool of honeybees; but also provide them with robust vegetable gardens and a fun interesting hobby to share with family and friends...not to mention the side-product of some delicious honey!
If you would like to attend our next course, please see the details below and submit the registration form.
Charleston Area Beekeepers Association
Beginner Beekeeping Course
Thanks for your interest!
The January 2014 course is sold-out (full).
If you would like to be notified when registration opens for the next course, please feel free to submit the form below.
Thanks again for your interest in bees/beekeeping!
You are welcome to join us for an upcoming monthly meeting to network with other experienced and new beekeepers.
View the Calendar of Events for meeting details.
2-day Beginner Beekeeping Course
Sat & Sun from 9a-4p
Class begins promptly at 9am. Please arrive 15-30 minutes early on Saturday to sign-in.
The Citadel - Bond Hall, room 166
171 Moultrie Street, Charleston, SC 29409
Google map directions: Search for 122 Richardson Avenue
(view Calendar of Events for map/directions)
The cost of the course is $60* and includes:
- Beekeeping book/training materials/instruction/cookies or light refreshment
Bring your own non-alcoholic beverage in a sports bottle or insulated coffee mug
- Hands-on hive visit with a beekeeper at a working honeybee hive is included in price
- 1 year annual membership in South Carolina Beekeepers Assn. (Jan - Dec)
- 1 year annual membership in Charleston Area Beekeepers Assn. (Jan - Dec)
- 1 year mentor assistance from CABA members to aid you in getting started, for example, assistance ordering equipment, installing your first bee package, or assembling your hive
- Those interested may wish to study to become certified as a SC Beekeeper. Review details about the written and practical exams offered by the SC Master Beekeeping Program.
* Spouse/Partner (same household) or Parent of (mature, serious) youth beekeeper may attend for no additional charge and share book/materials. Include both names in registration form to ensure seating is reserved.
Refunds are not issued unless cancellation is received at least 7 days prior to beginning of class. Please email email@example.com to cancel as soon as possible so a person on the wait-list may attend in your slot.
|Address & Shipping Discount:
- CABA members agree to share email and phone with other CABA and SCBA members via private roster to facilitate club business and communications.We collect your current email address and telephone number at registration to contact you about course details.
- CABA will keep your information secure and we will never sell your personal information.
- If you want to start a hive, it is recommended that you discuss equipment, hive location/orientation, etc. with an experienced beekeeper before you start or buy a hive.
- Beekeeping equipment is not required to attend the course or hive visit. To avoid chilling/killing bees, the hive visit will be scheduled at a later date in early spring when weather conditions permit.
- If you do not have beekeeper equipment (suit/veil/gloves), wear a long-sleeved jacket, long pants, closed shoes, and bring leather gloves.
- Do not wear fuzzy or furry clothing.
- Eye protection is required. Snug-fitting safety glasses are acceptable for the hive visit. Alert the instructor that you need eye protection; some equipment may be available to share.
- If you have a smoker you are encouraged to bring it and learn to use it.
- Bee stings are rare, but not impossible. By attending, you agree to sign a liability release and accept all responsibility for your own safety.
Lunch is one hour and is not included in the fee. Class will reconvene promptly in 1 hour. You are welcome to bring your lunch and eat at the class location.
||Please complete this online form to be notified when registration opens for the next course. |
CABA Contact Form