September 27, 2014 - present: Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science.
July 20, 2009 - September 26, 2014: Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Science.
July 2012 - present: Associate Faculty, Centre for Neuroscience, Indian Institute of Science.
February 2014 - present: Vice Chair, IEEE Signal Processing Society Bangalore Chapter (Treasurer and Secretary of the chapter during 2011-2013).
April 2006 - July 2009: Postdoctoral Fellow, Biomedical Imaging Group, Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland.
April 2005 - March 2006: Consultant, M/s. ESQUBE Communication Solutions Private Limited, Bangalore.
PhD in 2005 from Department of Electrical Communication Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
Spectrum lab time line
- August 12, 2015: Manasij Venkatesh has an accepted paper to American Institute of Physics (AIP) Advances Special Issue on Emerging Topics in Fluorescence Microscopy and Imaging.
- July 20, 2015: Praneeth Kurpad has an accepted paper at TENCON 2015.
- June 4, 2015: Haricharan Aragonda has an accepted paper to IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing.
- May 29, 2015: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is Member (Engineering Discipline), Undergraduate Board of Studies, Indian Institute of Science.
- May 20, 2015: Sreeram V. Menon successfully defended his M.Sc.(Eng.) thesis on " Savitzky-Golay Filters and Application to Image and Signal Denoising."
- April 30, 2015: We have accepted papers to IEEE-ICIP and SPARS 2015 conferences.
- March 27, 2015: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula gave an invited talk on "Active Shapes" at the University Visveswaraya College of Engineering (Bangalore University) Technology Enhanced Quality Improvement Programme (TEQIP) on Digital Image Processing and Applications.
- March 24, 2015: Ravi Shenoy has an accepted paper to IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- March 21, 2015: Aniruddha Adiga, Satish Mulleti, Prasad Sudhakar, Sudarshan Nagesh have accepted papers at the 11th International Conference on Sampling Theory and Applications (SampTA) 2015. The conference will take place in American University, Washington DC (Webpage: http://www.american.edu/cas/mathstat/sampta2015/).
- March 20, 2015: Harini Kishan successfully defended her M.Sc.(Engineering) thesis. Prof. S. R. M. Prasanna from IIT Guwahati was the thesis examiner.
- February 28, 2015: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula gave an invited talk at the National Conference on Communications 2015 on Stein's unbiased risk estimation for image denoising.
- February 20-22, 2015: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is a key organizer of the National Mathematics Initiative Workshop on Learning Sparse Representations for Signal Processing (http://math.iisc.ernet.in/~nmi/LSSP.php). Prof. Justin Romberg (Georgia Tech.), Prof. Michael Elad (Technion), Prof. Chandra Murthy (IISc), Prof. Arjun Arunachalam (IIT Bombay/Philips), Prof. Angshul Majumdar (IIIT Delhi) gave excellent lectures at the workshop.
- January 16, 2015: Satish Mulleti gave the EE Department Students' Symposium on "Finite rate of innovation sampling and applications." Venue: Multimedia Classroom, 4 PM.
- January 15, 2015: Three accepted papers at IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2015 to be held in Brisbane during April 19-24, 2015.
- December 9, 2014: Sudarshan and Satish's paper at IEEE International Conference on Image Processing features in the top 10% papers in the ICIP Technical Program (http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~fowler/ICIP2014/1569911207.pdf)
- December 3, 2014: Sudarshan Nagesh gave his M.Sc. (Engineering) thesis colloquium on "The Hilbert Transform Framework for FRI Signal Sampling" (with applications to ultrasound imaging and frequency-domain optical-coherence tomography).
- December 1, 2014: Sunder Ram Krishnan, the first M.Sc. (Engineering) student to graduate from Spectrum Lab wins The Hay Medal of the IISc for the year 2013-2014 for his outstanding research thesis on "Optimum Savitzky-Golay Filtering for Signal Estimation."
- November 25, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula's article on "Exact complex wave reconstruction in digital holography" features first among the top downloaded articles of the Journal of Optical Society of America(A) (http://www.opticsinfobase.org/josaa/home.cfm)
- November 18, 2014: VoW! gets media attention: http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31806&articlexml=VOW-Tech-helps-children-learn-words-18112014002026
- October 30, 2014: Basty Ajay Shenoy has an accepted paper on phase retrieval to IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- September 27, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is promoted (out of turn) to Associate Professor with effect from September 27, 2014.
- October 6, 2014: Satish Mulleti and Sudarshan Nagesh's paper on Ultrasound image reconstruction using the finite-rate-of-innovation principle (TEC-P3.10) features in the top 10% of articles accepted to IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) 2014: http://icip2014.wp.mines-telecom.fr/technical-program/
- September 9, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula and Thierry Blu will be organizing a special session on "Finite rate of innovation sampling and applications" at the 40th IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP) 2015, to be held in Brisbane, Australia during April 19-24, 2015.
- September 3, 2014: The Japanese student delegation headed by Prof. Sadaoki Furui visits Spectrum Lab.
- August 19 to 31, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is Visiting Professor at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Electronic Engineering.
- August 12, 2014: Sunil R. joins the Spectrum Lab for M.Sc. (Engineering).
- August 1, 2014: Jitendra Kumar Dhiman joins the Spectrum Lab for a PhD.
- July 14, 2014: Haricharan Aragonda (M.Sc. (Eng.)) successfully defended his thesis today. Congratulations Haricharan! Haricharan is the third M.Sc. (Eng.) student to graduate out of Spectrum Lab.
- July 7, 2014: Satish Mulleti has an accepted paper to the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- June 27, 2014: Subhadip Mukherjee has an accepted paper to the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- June 20, 2014: Satish Mulleti received a Google Travel Grant to attend IEEE ICIP 2014 to be held in Paris, during October 27-30, 2014. Thank you Google!
- June 19, 2014: The IEEE Signal Processing Society Bangalore Chapter is awarded the IEEE certification and appreciation for its technical activities in the Bangalore region.
- June 19, 2014: Satish Mulleti from our lab got the IEEE SPS Travel Grant to attend ICIP 2014. Thank you IEEE SPS!
- June 3, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is awarded the Prof. Priti Shankar Teaching Award for the year 2013 (Engineering category) by Mr. Ratan Tata.
- May 21, 2014: Satish, Aniruddha, Suraj, Ajay, and Sudarshan have accepted papers at the International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP) 2014.
- May 21, 2014: Sreeram, Balakishore, Subhadip have accepted papers at the 19th International Workshop on Digital Signal Processing, to be held in Hong Kong, during August 20-23, 2014.
- May 5, 2014: Ravi Shenoy has an accepted paper to IEEE SPL.
- May 3, 2014: Sunder Ram and Aniruddha have accepted papers to the 19th International Conference on Digital Signal Processing, to be held in Hong Kong during August 20-23, 2014 (http://www.dsp2014.org/).
- September 3, 2014: No job openings in the lab. All positions are full.
- This academic year (until July 31, 2015), the Spectrum Lab will not take any interns, neither in winter nor in summer.
- March 26, 2014: Arun Venkitaraman has an accepted paper to IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing.
- February 6, 2014: A creative illustration of speech signals in 1-D and 2-D led by Haricharan at Science Slam 2014, organized by SwissNex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTw8aMiR83M&feature=youtu.be. Our students won the third place! Congratulations Team Spectrum! The participants also include students from Prof. TV Sreenivas' lab (ECE), and Prof. AG Ramakrishnan's lab (EE).
- February 6, 2014: Sunder Ram and Purvasha have an accepted paper to IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- February 3, 2014: Four papers accepted to ICASSP 2014. Congratulations Sudarshan, Satish, Jishnu and Subhadip, Ravi Shenoy.
- January 24, 2014: Sundeep Puli and collaborators have a paper accepted to PLoS 1 Biology.
- January 22, 2014: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is awarded the Professor Priti Shankar Teaching Award for Assistant Professors for Engineering for the year 2013, by IISc.
- January 18, 2014: Sanjeev has an accepted paper to National Conference on Communications (NCC) 2014.
- December 23, 2013: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula's article features in the most downloaded research articles in Holography from Optical Society of America publishing.
- December 4, 2013: Arun Venkitaraman's article is featured in the top 25 viewed articles in IEEE SP Letters: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/topAccessedArticles.jsp?punumber=97
- November 21, 2013: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula joins the Editorial Board (as Review Editor) of Frontiers Bioengineering and Biotechnology journal (http://www.frontiersin.org/).
- November 20, 2013: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula joins the Editorial Board (as Associate Editor) of SPIE Journal of Electronic Imaging (http://spie.org/x620.xml).
- October 31, 2013: Dr. Supratim Ray (Centre for Neuroscience, IISc) and myself will be offering a new course on Neural Signal Processing (E9 282 (2:1 credits)) during January - April 2014. My regular course E9 241 (3:0): Time-Frequency Analysis, January-April 2014, will be taught by me and Dr. Prasanta Kumar Ghosh (EE, IISc).
- October 29, 2013: Subhadip Mukherjee from Spectrum Lab is selected for the TCS Research Scholar Fellowship.
- September 24, 2013: Arun Venkitaraman has another accepted paper to IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- September 20, 2013: Arun Venkitaraman has an accepted paper to IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- August 28, 2013: We have four accepted papers to IEEE TENCON 2013. Congratulations Aniruddha, Anjany, Pavan, and Bharath.
- August 22, 2013: Sunder Ram Krishnan successfully defended his M.Sc. thesis today. He is the first "research" student to graduate from the SPECTRUM lab.
- July 29, 2013: Aniruddha Adiga and Arun Venkitaraman have a paper accepted to Signal processing journal, Elsevier.
- May 8, 2013: Arun Venkitaraman has an accepted paper to Signal Processing journal, Elsevier.
- May 4, 2013: We have four papers accepted to ICIP 2013. Congratulations Sreeram, Abin Jose, Sunder Ram, Ajay Shenoy, Subhadip, Jayanth, and Naren.
- April 8, 2013: Subhadip, Satish, and Ajay have accepted papers to SPARS 2013.
- March 30, 2013: Haricharan Aragonda and Abin Jose received IEEE SPS Travel Grants to attend ICASSP 2013. Thank you IEEE.
- March 15, 2013: CSS' invited article included in the IISc Journal, special issue on imaging and microscopy.
- March 11, 2013: Ravi Shenoy has an accepted paper to Journal of Acoustical Society of America.
- March 7, 2013: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula is appointed as an Associate Editor for the IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- March 1, 2013: Abin Jose and Haricharan Aragonda have accepted papers at IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing 2013.
- February 15, 2013: Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula has been nominated Vice Chair, IEEE Signal Processing Society Bangalore Chapter.
- February 1, 2013: Sunder Ram Krishnan and Subhadip Mukherjee have accepted papers to the Sampling Theory in Signal and Image Processing journal, Special issue SampTA 2011.
- January 29, 2013: Sunder Ram Krishnan has an accepted paper to IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- January 11, 2013: Subhadip Mukherjee from our lab is awarded the Prof. ISN Murthy medal (by IISc) for outstanding performance in Master of Engineering (for the year 2011-2012).
- December 16, 2012: Shreyas and Subhankar have an accepted paper to IET Radar Conference 2013.
- December 12, 2012: Satish Mulleti and Ajay Shenoy have an accepted paper to IEEE CONECCT 2013.
- October 27, 2012: I have been elevated to IEEE Senior Member w.e.f. October 2012.
- October 23, 2012: Rohit Nayak has an accepted paper to Optics Letters.
- October 1, 2012: Sunder Ram Krishnan has an accepted paper to IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing.
- August 28, 2012: Sunder Ram Krishnan received a CSIR grant for international travel, to attend the SAPA SCALE 2012 workshop.
- August 9, 2012: Sunder Ram Krishnan received a DST grant for international travel, to attend the SAPA SCALE 2012 workshop (http://www.sapaworkshops.org/2012/).
- August 1, 2012: The E9 241 Digital Image Processing course will be given in Multimedia Classroom of the Department of Electrical Engineering. Monday and Wednesday, 4.30 PM to 5.30 PM. Only two classes per week.
- July 17, 2012: We have a new accepted paper to JOSA(A).
- July 13, 2012: Arun Venkitaraman has an accepted paper to IEEE Signal Processing Letters.
- July 12, 2012: Sunder Ram has an accepted paper to Journal of Optical Society of America.
- July 5, 2012: Call for papers, Hindawi Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Special issue on Image and Volume Restoration (http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jece/si/537981/cfp/). I am Guest Editor for the special issue along with Prof. Thierry Blu and Dr. Florian Luisier.
- July 1, 2012: I will be organizing a special session on "Finite rate of innovation sampling techniques and applications" at the Sampling Theory and Applications (SampTA) 2013 conference to be held at the Jacobs university in Bremen (July 1 - July 5, 2013); Webpage: http://www.univie.ac.at/nuhag-php/event_NEW/make.php?event=SampTA2013
- July 1, 2012: Harshavardhan Sundar has an accepted paper to IEEE Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. Congratulations Harsha!
- June 26, 2012: Sunder Ram Krishnan from our lab has an accepted paper to SAPA SCALE 2012 workshop (http://www.sapaworkshops.org/2012/). Congratulations Sunder Ram!
- June 12, 2012: Harini Kishan and Ravindra Hegadi are awarded the IEEE SPS Travel grant for attending International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP 2012). Congratulations to Harini and Ravindra! Thanks to IEEE SPS! Ravindra was an Indian Academy of Sciences summer fellow in our lab.
- May 15, 2012: Our US patent on digital holographic microscopy is now published online: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120116703.pdf
- May 10, 2012: We are always looking for academically good and enthusiastic research students. Those desirous of joining our team may send me an email together with a two-page CV highlighting technical strengths.
- April 18, 2012: Three papers accepted to SPCOM 2012, and two papers to ICIP 2012. Congratulations Nag, Adi, Ravi, Harini, and Ravindra!
- April 16, 2012: I will be offering the Digital Image Processing course during August - December 2012 semester.
- March 9, 2012: Some new videos of biomedical and biological image segmentation added in the Projects page (cf. menu on the left-hand side).
- February 29, 2012: We have a new accepted project on "Robust parameter estimation techniques for multicomponent FM signals," funded by the Indian Space Research Organization - IISc Space Technology Cell.
- February 14, 2012: Adithya Kumar Pediredla is awarded the N. R. Khambhati Memorial Medal (for System Science and Automation) for the academic year 2010-2011. The special medal distribution function is scheduled for March 3, 2012 (Founder's Day at IISc), 10.15 AM; venue: Choksi Hall. Adithya Kumar Pediredla is the first student to graduate from our lab. Congratulations Adithya!
- February 4, 2012: Harini Kishan and Subhadip Mukherjee won the IEEE SPS Travel Grants to travel to ICASSP 2012.
- December 22, 2012: We have three accepted papers at ICASSP 2012. Congratulations to Subhadip, Harini, and Aditya.
- December 10, 2011: A paper on "Snakes with ellipse-reproducing property" accepted to the IEEE Transactions on Image Processing.
- I will be offering the course E9-213: Time-Frequency Analysis during January-April 2012. The venue for the course: MMCR (EE Department); Time: 9.30 AM to 11 AM. This course does not have any postgraduate-level pre-requisites, but only undergraduate-level courses such as Fourier transforms, Signal Processing (particularly Analog signal processing), and Basic Engineering Mathematics.
- January 5, 2012: I am offering four new Masters projects for first-year ME (SSA) students: (i) Tracking Moving Cells in Biomedical Images; (ii) Regularized Image Denoising; (iii) Algorithms for Compressed Sensing; and (iv) Sparse Signal Sampling and Reconstruction Algorithms. I'm interested in taking two/three ME(SSA) students this time. ME(SSA) students desirous of working for their projects in my lab are advised to meet with me to know more about the projects.
- January 5, 2012: I am offering four new Masters projects for first-year ME (SP) students: (i) Compressed Sensing for speech applications; (ii) Compressed Sensing and Magnetic Resonance Imaging; (iii) Bayesian Approach to Speech Enhancement; and (iv) Microphone-Array-Based Source Localization Using Sparsity Constraints. I'm interested in taking two ME(SP) students this time. ME (SP) students desirous of working for their projects in my lab are advised to meet with me to know more about the projects.
- December 5, 2011: Aditya Kumar Pediredla (ME SSA student) from our lab received the Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) Innovative Students Project Award for his Masters thesis. He graduated from our lab in July 2011. Congratulations Aditya!
- August 3, 2011: Teaching assistant for my course E9 201: Digital Signal Processing. Masters or Doctoral students from IISc with a good academic record may contact me. -- Position filled.
- August 3, 2011: Position of Secretarial Assistant for the lab. Interested candidates may send their CV to me. -- Position filled.
- August 3, 2011: Three new research students joined our group: Ajay Shenoy (Ph.D.), M Satish (Ph.D.), and Sreeram Menon (M.Sc.).
- August 1, 2011: I received the DST Young Scientist International Travel Fellowship award for attending Interspeech 2011 (Italy) and ISPA 2011 (Croatia).
- July 25, 2011: I will be offering the course E9-201: Digital Signal Processing during August - December 2011. The course will be held in L8 CL, 12 PM to 1 PM; every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Only those students who have not taken the course in the undergraduate education are encouraged to register. The first meeting of the course will be held on Wednesday August 3, 2011; Venue: L8 CL (Central lecture hall complex); Time: 12 PM - 1 PM.
- June 27, 2011: Aditya Kumar Pediredla (M. E. (S. S. A.) student) has two accepted papers at the Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis, to be held in Croatia, September 4-6, 2011.
- June 13, 2011: Arun Venkitaraman, M.Sc. (Engg.) student in my lab, has recently performed on Chandana Television. He plays the violin. Congratulations Arun! The videos of his show are available here:
- Commercial break! :) Good old days at EPFL, when I was taking French classes at the Centre de langues of the University of Lausanne: http://www.unil.ch/cdl
- May 28, 2011: We have an accepted paper to Interspeech 2011: Nagarjuna Reddy Muraka and Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula, "A risk-estimation-based comparison of mean-square error and Itakura-Saito distortion measures for speech enhancement." The conference will be held during August 28-31, 2011, in Florence, Italy. Nagarjuna Reddy Muraka is a Master of Engineering (Signal Processing) student. Link to Interspeech URL: http://www.interspeech2011.org/conference/programme/session.php?id=1720
- 47. May 10, 2011: Aniruddha Adiga from my lab has an accepted proposal under the Indo-Swiss Joint Research Programme (ISJRP) for Ph.D. students. His host in Switzerland is Dr. Mathew Magimai Doss from the Idiap Research Institute (http://www.idiap.ch/the-institute/contact).
- April 28, 2011: During August-December 2011, I will be offering the course E9-201: Digital Signal Processing.
- April 20, 2011: New job opening: Secretary. Requirements: Good English, computer proficiency, good interpersonal communication skills. Interested candidates may send a two-page CV (in PDF, MS Word) to Dr. Chandra Sekhar by email (email@example.com,firstname.lastname@example.org).
- April 15, 2011: New research project on "Modulations in time-varying signals," funded by the Joint Advanced Technology Programme (JATP), IISc.
- April 9, 2011: New research positions in our lab at all levels -- Ph.D., M.Sc., Research Associate, Project Assistant level. Core expertise requirement is in Signal Processing. More details to come up soon. Interested candidates may send their CV to me.
- April 1, 2011: Summer internship positions in our lab have been filled.
- March 6, 2011: Haricharan Aragonda received the ICASSP 2011 Student Travel Grant.
- February 18, 2011: A new journal paper accepted to the Journal of Optical Society of America (for details, see Journal articles link of the left-hand side of this page).
- January 18, 2011: Two ICASSP papers and one SampTA paper accepted (for details, see Conference articles link on the left-hand side of this page).
- January 16, 2011: A new invention award from Intellectual Ventures for the invention, "A sub-Nyquist sampling method for detecting level-crossing times of analog signals."
- January 15, 2011: Two invention awards from Intellectual Ventures for the inventions: (i) "Level-crossing computation technique for analog signals," (sole inventor); and (ii) "Multimodal density estimation approach to formant tracking," (jointly with Harshavardhan Sundar and T. V. Sreenivas).
- December 16, 2010: I am offering the course (E9 213) "Time-frequency Analysis" during January - April 2011. About 40% of the course this time will be dedicated to wavelets.
- December 15, 2010: Haricharan Aragonda from our lab received the first prize in the All India IEEE M.V. Chauhan Student Paper Contest 2010 for his paper titled, "Quadrature approximations in R2."
- Job opening: Immediately available. Research assistant position for a project on "EEG Source localization". The position is initially for one year; renewable subject to satisfactory performance, up to a maximum of five years. The ideal candidate (preferably M.E./M.Tech. but exceptional B.Tech./B.E. may also apply) should have strong mathematical & analytical skills (in particular differential equations, signal processing), and programming skills in MATLAB (Java would be a plus). Salary as per IISc regulations (approximately 1.5 lakhs per annum). The interested candidate may send in a crisp two-page CV highlighting aspects relevant to the nature of work mentioned above.
- Our work referred to in business magazines: http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-12358229/Studies-from-C-S-Seelamantula.html