For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant,
but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness
to those who have been trained by it.
- Hebrews 12:11 ESV
Challenge 1 is the year students will learn that Discipline Leads to FREEDOM !!
Challenge Program Themes:
Challenge A - Personal Investment builds OWNERSHIP
Challenge B - Ownership builds SELF-DISCIPLINE
Challenge 1 - Discipline brings FREEDOM
Challenge 2 - Freedom provides opportunities for CHOICES
Challenge 3 - Choices brings CONSEQUENCES
Challenge 4 - Consequences birth LEADERSHIP
Challenge 1 Theme: FREEDOM
Keeping the theme of freedom as a central focus, students in Challenge I consider ideas such as, “How does understanding American documents help me protect my freedom today?” and “How does my knowledge of mathematics or languages improve my ability to function productively in a free society?”Students compare and discuss ideas about freedom and government across all the subjects, from the Romans conquering Gaul in Latin studies to the text of the U.S. Constitution.Most importantly, as students study these ideas, they frequently return to the underlying question of “How we can use what we are learning to understand and honor God?”
The PARTNERSHIP: PARENT <--> STUDENT <--> TUTOR
PARENT: The parent is the primary teacher, principal, and giver of grades and, as such, may adjust the CC curriculum in any way to accommodate the student's skill sets and family needs. Parents should ...
- Set expectations and goals for the student
- Communicate these to the tutor
- Assess the student's work
- Celebrate the student's successes and help the student during struggles
- Model the joy of learning to the student
TUTOR: The tutor supports the parent teacher by mentoring both parent and student in the CC program. The tutor will encourage, answer questions, and provide assistance in administering the CC program in the home school. The tutor should ...
- Facilitate weekly seminars to allow students to discuss and think deeply with peers
- Celebrate the joys and commiserate with the concerns of the students every week
- Mentor each family and provide CC counseling in each family's homeschooling endeavors
- Keep the entire group on schedule by providing CC accountability
STUDENT: The student works each week to the best of his/her abilities in obedience to God and his/her parents. The student should...
- Be diligent in his or her studies
- Communicate with parent, tutor, and peers
- Be respectful of peers' class time by being prepared
- Truly try to see God's truth in all that he or she beholds
- LOVE TO LEARN!!
Let the wise hear and increase in learning and the one who understands obtain guidance. - Proverbs 1:5
For maximum success in our joint efforts of utilizing this CC curriculum successfully in your home school, we need to be a team. Communication will be the key to our successful team.
- Please communicate your weekly curriculum adjustments to me, so I can support you productively during seminars.
- I will provide you feedback of your student's performance in seminars as well as communicate CC news in a timely fashion.
Please know that I pray and work to the best of my ability as your Challenge tutor to support you in your homeschooling efforts. -----Blessings, Mrs. Susan Little
Go here for my CONTACT Information (home address, phone numbers, email address)
Go here for information About Susan Little, Your Challenge 1 Director
Go here for information on Navigating Your Ch1 Website
Go here for Classical Conversation's Statement of Faith
By St. Thomas Aquinas
Creator of all things, true source of light and wisdom,
origin of all being,
graciously let a ray of your light penetrate
the darkness of my understanding.
Take from me the double darkness
in which I have been born,
an obscurity of sin and ignorance.
Give me a keen understanding,
a retentive memory, and
the ability to grasp things correctly and fundamentally.
Grant me the talent of being exact
in my explanations and the ability to express myself
with thoroughness and charm.
Point out the beginning,
direct the progress,
and help in the completion.
I ask this through Christ our Lord.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.