Founded in 1919, the Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW/FCFDU) is an equality-seeking, advocacy organization that works to advance the human rights of women and girls in 112 CFUW/FCDU Clubs across Canada. CFUW is the largest of the affiliates that belong to the International Federation of University Women (IFUW). CFUW has special consultative status at the UN and is represented at the Sectoral Committee on Education at the Canadian Sub-Committee for UNESCO.
The Halifax Club was established in 1936.
The Atlantic Regional Council of the CFUW was formed in 1988 to help improve communication, co-operation, and friendship among the Atlantic Canada Clubs, and to promote the policies and programs of CFUW.
Promote lifelong learning
Advocate for the advancement of the status of women, human rights, and the common good locally, nationally, and internationally
Promote co-operation, networking support and understanding among women
Encourage and support women to apply their knowledge and skills in leadership and decision making in all forms of public affairs to effect change
Inform the Government of Canada about CFUW policies on education, the status of women, human rights, justice, social and environmental issues
Act in solidarity with other national non-governmental women's equality-seeking feminist organizations
Provide members with opportunities to network at local, regional, provincial, national and international meetings
Support the CFUW/FCFDU Charitable Trust and administer funds for: Graduate Awards and Fellowships, a Creative Music Award through the Banff Centre
- Provide opportunities for fellowship and support
- Hold meetings on educational, cultural and social issues
- Have special interest and study groups on a wide range of topics
- Research and present resolutions for consideration at the CFUW/FCFDU Annual General Meeting
- Ensure that local MPs, MNAs; MLAs and MPPs are aware of CFUW policies
- Advocate for CFUW policies at the local level in concert with other equality-seeking organizations
- Offer awards and scholarships
Updated Nov 2, 2014