Past Colloquium Program Topics and ThemesJune ’05: Thinking Strategically
Nov. ’05: The Great Game of Business
- The Change Imperative
- Improvement through Process management
- Dynamics of a Healthy Organization
- Cy-Fair College visit
- Strategic Thinking and Process Management modules review
June ’06: Positive Organizational Health
Nov. ’06: Strategic Context for Leaders
- Visit to University of Michigan Life Sciences and Biotech
- Creating value and Communication modules preview
- Training session(s) for strategic thinking module
June ’07: High Performing Organizations
- Leadership Disney Style
- People Management Disney Style
- Preview of Developing Leaders module
Nov. ’07 Building Organizations Using Different Lenses
- Learning, Leading and Leveraging
- Strategic Human Resources—Building a Culture of Abundance
- Understanding generational differences, expectations, and needs
- Visit to Honda American Headquarters (organizational philosophy, culture, and human resources strategy)
- Visit to Ohio Supercomputer Center (leading-edge computer based learning modalities)
- Visit with CEO of SkyBus, Bill Diffenderffer (rethinking an existing industry, Zen and the art of success, personal efficacy as leaders)
June ’08 Entrepreneurism
- Understanding the need for communities that we serve to become more entrepreneurial.
- Exploring opportunities for community colleges to become more entrepreneurial
- Visit with Anirban Basu, Sage Policy Group
- Visit with Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Visit with the National Association for Community College Entrepreneurship
Oct. ’08 Building Capacity
- How the dimensions of life cycle and abundance theory relate to organization, management and leadership in community colleges
- How should community colleges look at themselves—where they are now, where they are going, and how can they positively shape where they are going?
- From an abundance perspective, what can be done to develop into “organizations of engagement” when working with faculty and staff who are over-extended and increasingly part-time?
- How do community colleges leverage their capacity by empowering their employees and investing in people given the conditions they are facing?
- How have organizations outside of higher education dealt with similar issues?
- What strategies are they using to support and develop their human resource capacity?
Feb. ’09 Sustainability: Tangible Resource
- Develop a deeper understanding about the importance of sustainability
- Explore what other educational institutions are doing (or plan to do) to address sustainability issues
- Share best practices from Network colleges
- Explore sustainability initiatives in organizations outside of higher education