Members of the Rotary Club of Downtown Honolulu stopped by Central Middle School to generously donate school supplies to our students on July 22, 2014 (Schedule Pick-Up day). CMS is very fortunate to have maintained the continued partnership with the Downtown Rotarians over the years. Mahalo!
Campus Beautification Service Project
In partnership with Rotary Clubs of Downtown Honolulu and Honolulu Sunset, Central held our annual campus beautification service project on January 21, 2012. We had 122 volunteers who gave up their Saturday to help beautify the campus. We would like to commend everyone for the hardwork, painting the stalls, curbs, basketball court area, and other parts of campus; and picking leaves and rubbish around campus. At the end of the project, we had over 30 bags of trash collected. This definitely would not have been possible without the support our community partners: Rotary Club of Downtown Honolulu and Honolulu Sunset, our supportive parents and families, our wonderful students, and our dedicated faculty and staff. We even had former students who showed up for the service project without being asked. We Are Central!
CMS Robotics: Sushi Rolls Thank Yous
The Sushi Rolls would like to thank Central Middle School students, parents, teachers, administrators, and community members!
We appreciate all of your support!
- Thank you Hawaii USA Federal Credit Union for donating our beautiful Sushi Rolls T-shirts. The T-shirts were designed by the Sushi Rolls, but they were paid for by the Hawaii USA Federal Credit Union. The T-shirt truly set us apart. It made us look and feel like a team! Marketing Representative, Cary Miyashiro, and East Area Manager, Scott Young, attended the Sushi Roll’s dress rehearsal presentation on December 1. The Sushi Rolls then gave them a live demonstration of the Lego NXT robots in the Robotics practice room. Thank you for sharing your afternoon with us.
- Thank you Kozo Sushi, Kahala. As part of our research, Manager, Miulne Pilanea gave us a presentation and tour of Kozo Sushi, Kahala. She explained how they prepared their ahi sushi, and all of the precautions Kozo Sushi takes to keep your food as fresh as possible!
- Thank you Rebecca Kanenaka, Foodborne Disease Surveillance and Response Coordinator for the Hawaii Department of Health.
- Mrs. Kanenaka gave a presentation to the Sushi Rolls on food poisoning from fish. We learned in Hawaii the two most common fish poisoning are caused by warm temperatures, which results in an allergic reaction in response to excess histamines; or from salmonella contamination, which is a result of improper handling of fish.
- Thank you Julia Nakamura who sewed the Sushi Rolls costumes. Mrs. Nakamura, a former teacher, retired from Pearl Harbor Kai Elementary School and is Mr. Nakamura’s mother. Thanks Mom!
- Thank you Mrs. Takagi, retired 6th grade teacher from Central Middle School. Mrs. Takagi started the CMS Robotics program 4 years ago and continues to be our biggest fan! She attended the District Tournament, the dress rehearsal, and the State Tournament.
- Thank you to our competition volunteers
- CMS 6th grade teacher, Mrs. Mathieu, District Tournament Judge
- CMS 8th grade teacher, Mrs. Miyasato, District Tournament Referee
- CMS 8th grade teacher, Mrs. Moylan, State Champion Volunteer
- CMS Curriculum Coordinator, Mrs. Vogel, State Champion Team Scout
- CMS 6th grade Teacher, Mr. J. Oshiro, Chaperone District and State Tournaments
- CMS 6th grader Richard Aki, Support Crew
- CMS Registrar, Mrs. Leong, Certificates
- Thank you to the CMS Robotics Team Selection Committee. Mr. Lum, Ms. Mathieu, Mr. Sakai, Ms. Sumida, Mrs. Leong, Mr. Nakamura
- Thank you to our CMS Principal, Cindy Yun-Kim, and Vice Principal, Garret Zakahi. They have supported us at every step of our journey, providing us with funds, and a practice room, and acted as liaisons to community supporters.
Sunrise Rotary Club
On Friday – August 12th , Central Middle received
a donation of school supplies from the members of Sunrise Rotary Club. Danielle and Melissa came by to drop of
2 boxes of binders, mechanical pencils, pens, paper, composition books for our
students to utilize this school year.
Danielle stated that this was the first of hopefully many boxes that
will be donated to Central Middle School.
Farmer's Hawaii: School Supply
On Monday –
August 01, 2011, members of our Student Government Association, our Student
Activities Coordinator (Mrs. Rossi), and our Vice Principal (Mr. Zakahi) greeted
members of Farmers Insurance Hawaii for our “School Supply Drive”. Members of Farmers Insurance Hawaii
collected items such as: 3 ring binders, composition books, pencil cases, lines
paper, pencils, pens, boxes of tissues, and boxes of paper towels for our
students. Over 139 boxes of items
and over 1,00 individual items were transferred from the moving truck to a
storage room. Boxes were moved by
both members of Central Middle School and Farmers Insurance Hawaii. Vice Principal Zakahi accepted the
donation of items and thanked Farmers Insurance Hawaii for forming a
business-school partnership that provides all of our students with the
necessary supplies that will allow our students to succeed in the
classroom. He also went on to say
Central Middle School is unique because we are located in close proximity to
the business community and that we will be working with businesses to form
Lions Club Peace Poster Contest
Each year, Lions Clubs sponsor Lions International Peace Poster
Contest. The contest encourages youth to express in art their vision of world
peace. For a number of years, the Lions Club of Honolulu has sponsored students
from Central Middle School as participants in this contest and this year the theme
was "Visions of Peace." The winners for SY2010-2011 are:
First Place: Charles Reyes
Second Place: Asayena Viengmany
Third Place: Clarissa-Leigh Paguirigan
Fourth Place: Ricky Malavong
The Central Middle School 'Ohana wishes to congratulate Charles Reyes
for winning or placing three years in a row- as a Sixth Grader, a Seventh Grader
and as an Eighth Grader.
Farmer's Insurance Traffic Hot Spots Essay Winners
Congratulations to the following top 3 winners for the SY2010-2011 traffic safety essay contest:
Tracey Cadiz - Ms. Rossi D128
Lucky Gerardo - Mr. J Oshiro D129
Olilai Ngirailild - Ms. Sumida C214
Each student was awarded a gift bag filled with 2 movie passes, Jamba juice card, Farmers Insurance duffle bag, cap, and notebook. Terrific job! We're so proud of each one of you!
On Wednesday - November 3, 2010 Central Middle School teamed up with HPD and Farmers Insurance in the "Hot Spots" sign waving campaign. There were over 110 students, teachers, parents, HPD officers, and Farmers Insurance representatives lining Vineyard Blvd, Queen Emma, and South Kukui Streets. HPD officers and Farmers Insurance employees mentioned that this event was well organized and was one of the largest turn outs this year! Hawaii New Now (cable stations 5, 7, and 8) featured segments from the Hot Spots campaign on their 5:00pm newscast.