Whites Cemetery

By George E. Wolf Jr./1990

Whites Cemetery (Whites Chapel Cemetery) is located at 11011 Lynchburg-Crosby Road, 2 miles north of Highlands,Texas.

Ca. 1824-present.

Original two acre site was used as a family cemetery by the White Family.

Photos of graves from original site.

White Cemetery - Reuben White (1795-1848), one of Stephen F. Austin's original "Old 300" colonists, acquired a Mexican land grant here in 1824. White was part of a large extended family which settled this area, later known as White Settlement. Although White's is the earliest recorded burial here, older grave sites are believed to exist. Formally set aside as the White Family Cemetery in 1850, this eventually became a community graveyard. Interred here are many area pioneers and their descendants, and veterans of conflicts from the Texas Revolution to the Vietnam War.

WHITE, REUBEN (1795-ca. 1848). Reuben White, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, was the son of William and Amy White and was born in 1795 in what is now Vermilion Parish, Louisiana. In the War of 1812 he served in Capt. Shadrack Porter's Company, Baker's Regiment, Louisiana Militia. He married Christina Faulk on June 15, 1818. They had at least eight children. The family was Catholic. He moved to Texas in 1824 with his widowed mother and received his grant of one league on the east bank of the San Jacinto River. He was listed with his family in the Atascosito Census in 1826 as a farmer and stock raiser. Reuben and his brother Henry White were on the grand jury of Harris County in 1837. In 1838 he appeared before the Board of Land Commissioners of Harris County to petition for one labor of land due him as a colonist. He appeared on the Ad Valorem Tax Rolls of the Republic of Texas in 1837 and in subsequent years. His taxable property (after considerable exemptions) was 2,214 acres of land, two pleasure horses, 150 cattle, and one clock. He was a successful farmer-rancher of the period. Reuben White died before October 1848, as proven by a probate court record of his estate in Harris County in 1848. After White died, his widow married Hervey Whiting. In 1854 she married Isaac Curtis, and in the 1860 census she and her two youngest sons were living with a son-in-law, Thomas W. McComb, at Lynchburg.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Gifford E. White, Amy White of the Old 300 (Austin: Nortex, 1986). Gifford E. White, James Taylor White of Virginia (Austin, 1982).

Gifford E. White


There was a constant flow of soldiers through Shreveport in 1861 as enlisted men from East Texas left from here. Reuben White received subscriptions within the parish for bonds to support the Confederacy. Planters were encouraged to take all the bonds they could afford, and Governor Moore also asked planters to donate their blankets for the sick and wounded.12 Methodist, Presbyterian, and Baptist churches donated their bells, sending them down the Mississippi River to New Orleans to be melted down and manufactured into cannons.13 Scrap iron was collected and sent to the New Orleans foundries. 14 Laboratories, ammunition shops, and foundries were established in Shreveport, which had formerly had only light manufacturing.15 Small industries were built to make the materials normally imported from other states.16 Shreveport operated two shops to make and repair firearms. In 1861 a tannery and a shoe manufacturing company were opened.17 Ladies Military Aid Societies sprang up in Shreveport, Bellevue, Lake Providence, Monroe, and Natchitoches to provide clothing for Caddo Parish soldiers. 18 They held concerts and raffles for money to support the cause and asked for people to donate cotton and wool yard for the knitting of socks, uniforms, and flags. Planter J. H. McReady reportedly donated nine bales of his cotton for their use.

Copyright ©2009

Comments