By George E. Wolf Jr. 1985-2009
History of The Seabrook Cemetery
By George E. Wolf Jr./2007
May 15,1850, Ritson Morris’s daughter, Mary Jane married Sterling Neblett Dobie. Sterling was from Virginia and born in 1816. Morris sold a parcel of land to his daughter on August 5,1851.
January 14,1853, Mary Jane gave birth to a son, James Robert Dobie. (Gregg 1981, 70:17).
The Seabrook cemetery attests to the fact that the next few years were filled with tragedy for the Dobie family. In January, 1855, James died. Later the same year, the 18 year-old sister-in-law of Sterling Dobie’s brother, Robert Neville Dobie died. And in August, 1857, Robert himself died.
The Dobie land was sold to A.B. Menard and the deed recorded in February, 1883 (Harris Co. Deeds: 26:484). Later that same year Menard deeded the land to Auguste Seureau. The land remained in the family for a number of years. The land was given to Suzanne Seureau when she was 26 (May 13,1907). James Madison Kellett and Suzanne lived just east of the cemetery.
Their daughter, Marie Kellett Bragg recalls that her family marked off a 60* square plot, which included the Dobie family graves and planted a cedar tree at each corner.
In January, 1915, James M. Kellett, Sr., and his wife Suzanne deeded three acres to the Seabrook Cemetery Association (Harris Co. Deeds 336:409).
In 1920 the land was sold to H. B. Rice. The following year Suzanne S. Kellett died and both she and her husband, James are buried in the Seabrook Cemetery.
(An Archeological Survey of the Seabrook Park Site on West Galveston Bay, by Texas Anderson, Dec. 30,1981)
The Seabrook Cemetery was started with the Dobie family plots in 1855.
A very nice cemetery, clean and neat. Fenced and locked. A no trespassing sign is posted.