OLD HARRIS COUNTY TOWNS
NEW WASHINTON 1834-1836
(Morgan's Point) 1905-
James Morgan bought the land from Nicholas Clopper in 1834 and started the town of New Washington. General Santa Anna burned New Washington to the ground in April 1836.
It never recovered.
New Washington was located at Morgan's Point,
named after James Morgan.
All that is of this town is the Orange Grove Cemetery (Morgan's Point Cemetery).
(Lynchburg Ferry Landing)
Across from the San Jacinto Battle Grounds.
On land bought by Nathaniel Lynch in 1824.
There was a store, inn, sawmill and ferry crossing.
During the Runaway Scrape in 1836, many families were camped here.
Nathan Lynch died in 1837. The town itself slowly died. The school house burned down in 1930. The ferry is state owned and still runs today.
SAN JACINTO 1830's-1915
Located at the NW corner of the San Jacinto Battlegrounds, across from Lynchburg. Laid out in the 1830's, it had a sawmill, shipyard, stores and a population of over 200 people. The hurricane of 1915 wipe out what was left of this town. All that remains is the San Jacinto Cemetery.
NEW KENTUCKY Bef 1831-after 1840
First know as Spring Creek. Was est. before 1831 and was thriving and prosperous town being trade center of ranching & farming area. Was Houston's strongest trade rival in later years. Town abandoned after 1840's. All that remains is an old cistern. About 30 miles NW of Houston.
17 miles west of downtown Houston. The town was name for Ed Barker. The 1900 hurricane destroyed an inn built by George Miller just north of the railroad tracks. Miller was the postmaster in 1898 for the town of Barker which had an inn, a brick factory, twine mill, general store, telephone company, depot, two churches, school and a saloon. By 1915 the town had eighty souls.
Three miles west of Houston, it had a post office in 1888. In 1895 a Baptist college, a German school and a public school was in use. Also had two churches and a saloon. The post office was discontinued in 1905. By 1915 the town of Brunner was taken in by Houston.
Known as Houston Terminals was a community next to the Houston Ship Channel. Had a post office from 1919 to 1920 and again later in 1922 to 1923. The community was not shown on maps by 1936.
Six miles northeast of Houston. Named for Clement C. Dyer, an early colonist of Texas. Had a post office in 1913 to 1917. A lumber company was running in 1914. By 1936 maps shown the William G. Smiley school and several buildings at the townsite.
Located in southern Harris County.
Named after Shinpel Mykawa, a Japanese man who introduced rice growing in the area in 1906. He was killed in a farm accident in 1906 and in buried in HOLLY WOOD CEMETERY.
Post office from 1907-1933. 1914 had two general stores. All that remains today is an abandoned railroad station at the townsite.
EUREKA MILLS 1872-1888
Located on the western edge of Houston in central Harris County. Had a cotton factory in 1872 and a post office was also there. The post office was discontinued in 1879. Still listed on postal route maps in 1888 as a stop for the Houston & Texas Central Railway.
Located on U.S. Highway 90 at the southern end of Sheldon Reservoir, five miles northeast of Houston. Began as a station on the Texas & New Orleans Railroad. Post office in 1903 and discontinued around the 1930's.
Located 36 miles northwest of Houston. When the Houston & Texas Cenral Railway began service to the area in 1857, Houseville was established with a post office in 1858. Named changed to Hockley by the end of that same year.
Located near the Fort Bend County line south of Brays Bayou and ten miles southwest of Houston.
Began as station on the Texas & New Orleans Railroad. Named after T.E. Howell, the townsite owner. Post office in 1920 to 1934.
Was also called Pilotville. A small black community near FM 149 & Spring-Cypress Road, being twenty miles northwest of Houston.
Freed slaves from Alabama made up this small town in the late 1870's. The town was named after Paul Kohrmann, a German immigrant who in 1881 ran the post office. In the earl 1900's had a general store ran by Agnes T. Kohrmann, cotton gin, sawmill and pop. of 50. Had a local school in 1906.
Post office closed in 1911.
MOUNT HOUSTON 1910-1918
East of Dyersdale near Hwy 59. Founded on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway ten miles from Houston. Post Office was opened from 1910-1918. 1914 had two churches, sawmile, lumber company and market gardeners.
PIERCE JUNCTION 1876-1878
Intersection of Southern Pacific and Missouri Pacific Railroads, seven miles south of Houston.
Had a post office in 1876 to 1878. Oil strike in 1906,1921. In 1939 had a pop. of 40.
Also known as Ashford and Thompson Switch.
On Hwy 290 ten miles southeast of Cypress.
Platted in 1910 by J.T. Thompson. Town replatted in 1913 by C.W. Hahl. A post office in 1909 but was closed in 1914. Had one general store.
SUNSET HEIGHTS 1915-1951
East of Hwy 75 and north of the Houston Heights.
Townsite was the terminal for a trolley line. Post office from 1915 to 1951, after this no longer on county maps.
Est. 1907 as a station stop. Post office from 1908-1909, replaced in 1910 by North Houston,Tx.
1914 had a single general store and in 1936.