Bayland Orphanage Cemetery-Baytown,Texas
by George E. Wolf Jr.
Located at 146 and Goose Creek, Baytown,Texas.
Founded for children with Confederate fathers who passed away, chartered in 1866.
The Historical Marker at the site is missing.
Bayland Orphanage - Established in 1866 by Texas Confederate veterans for children of deceased soldiers. Had capacity for 250. Rev. Henry F. Gillette was first superintendent. C. S. A. Col. Ashbel Smith, diplomat, soldier and statesman, was staff doctor. trustees included leading citizens. Donations from Harris and Galveston counties started the home, but later gifts came from as far away as New Orleans. After the Confederate children grew up, home and school were opened to others. Bayland was forerunner of the De Pelchin faith Home, of Houston.
There once was a cemetery nearby that may have been used for the orphanage. It has since eroded into Goose Creek and is lost.
Names of those who may have been buried there:
Henry Arto 12, died
John W. Coldiron, died
John Campbell 2,died
Harry Duke 2,died
Robert Le-? 6,died
William Moss 2,died
Mrs. Frances Moss 35,died
Thomas Wilson 13,drowned
Plus other unknowns.