Special Education

If you think your child may need special education services, your first step is to request an evaluation. The special education or "IEP teacher" at your child's school can help you write the request--you can also ask the Parent Coordinator to help you. The Parent's Guide to Special Education Services explains more. For more documents, visit THIS PAGE

For student-specific issues, work with your child's teachers and principal, first. If you still have questions, dial 311 and ask for the Special Education Call Center.  

Schools are required by Fed and State Law to advise parents of their right to mediation in addition or as an alternative to an impartial hearing for resolving disputes about their child's special education. The NY Peace Institute has developed a Manual to help you

Special Education Office Hours and Hotline for Families: 
The NYCDOE office hours and a special education hotline (            718-935-2007      ) launched on August 1. Family office hours will be held in 9 sites across the 5 boroughs with day, evening, and weekend hours. See the complete schedule of dates, times and locations here: http://schools.nyc.gov/Academics/SpecialEducation/when-is-the-next/2012parent-information-session.htm 
For questions, contact specialeducationreform@schools.nyc.gov. 

Chapter 408 Implementation Procedures of IEP

DOE Flexible Planning Guide

DOE Special Ed Reform Implementation Plan  

Rights for Parents of Children with Disabilities, Ages 3-21 

Special Ed Reform Powerpoint for SLT's

Special Ed Reform UFT Parent Fact Sheet 


State Parent's Guides to Special Education

Section 504 Information from Advocates for children 

Advocacy Links: