FAQs - Project Aural Impact

1.    What is Project Aural Impact?

Project Aural Impact is a scholarship/grant that is specifically given to Master’s students in Speech Language Pathology who are interested in working with children with hearing loss and their families.


2.   What is the purpose of training?

To provide specialized academic and field-based training (e.g., assessment and intervention strategies for children with hearing loss and deafness) in aural rehabilitation.


3.   What does the training consist of?

The training program will consist of two academic courses, a full‑time semester-long internship at a  site for children with hearing loss, and one supplemental workshop. In addition, scholars will have the opportunity to attend a Cochlear Implant conference.


4.   What are the two academic courses?

The first course, EDAU 290A, is entitled "Children with Hearing Loss: Assessment," and the second course. EDAU 290B, is entitled, "Children with Hearing Loss: Intervention."


5.   When are the courses offered?

The courses will be offered during the summer session between scholars’ first and second years of the Master’s program.


6.   What is the internship?

It is a full-time internship (EDAU 277) that will be completed during the second year of the two-year MA program or the third year of EM program.  Scholars will be supervised under experienced master clinicians at a site based upon the scholars’ preferences for working with a particular age group.


    7.   What are the responsibilities during the internship?

    Interns will be responsible for:

    • Assessing speech, language, and listening skills, writing reports, defining goals and objectives, and providing direct therapy for children with hearing loss, some of whom may have additional disabilities.
    • Serving on IEP committees and collaborating with classroom teachers and parents to maximize the effectiveness of therapy sessions.
    • Attending a "grand rounds" weekly seminar to broaden their knowledge of the issues pertaining to children who are served in other clinical settings. 

    8.   When do I take the internship?

Scholars will take the internship either as their student teaching practicum or externship during the second year of the two-year MA program or the third year of EM program (either Fall or Spring semester).

    9.   Do I have to take an extra practicum in addition to the student teaching practicum and externship in the M.A. program?

No. You will still take a total of two practica in order to graduate with a MA degree.  You will be placed at a site that allows you to work with children with hearing loss either during your student teaching practicum or externship.

    10.   What is the supplemental workshop?

The workshop will consist of a full day in-depth training session on a current issue that will be given by an expert presenter.


11. What are the obligations of Project Aural Impact?

Scholars must:

    • Complete the two academic courses during the summer session.
    • Complete one full-time practicum (student teaching practicum) in a site specializing in children with hearing loss.
    • Attend one supplemental workshop. 
    • Complete the capstone project: produce an evidence-based training module that is intended to provide professional development for regular education teachers or other related services professionals at their future work place settings.
    • Work at a site that:
      • Includes children with hearing loss for 2 years for each year of support.
      1. The scholar spends at least 51% of the time proving speech-language pathology services to infants, toddlers, and children with disabilities including hearing loss.   

Note: For more details regarding the obligations of scholars, including type and duration of service obligations, please refer to the attached document, “Grant Service Agreement”, or visit http://www.serviceobligations.ed.gov.

    12.   Where can I work upon graduation to fulfill the requirement?

    Scholars can work in any settings (e.g., school, hospitals, clinics, private practices) that have children with disabilities and hearing loss.


13.   What happens if I cannot fulfill my obligation upon graduation?

Scholars who fail to fulfill the obligation within a specified period of time will be required to repay all funds that have been spent of their behalf, plus interest.


14.   What is covered by the scholarship?

The scholarship covers

    • Resident tuition for the second year of MA program/third year of EM program
    •  Textbooks
    •  Assessment tests
    • Hearing Aid testing stethoscope
    •  Monthly stipend
    • Conference travel (registration, airfare, food, and three nights lodging)
    •  Supplemental workshop registration

15.   Who are eligible?

M.A. students who want to specialize in aural rehabilitation and are interested in working with children with hearing loss upon graduation. 

16.   What do I need to apply?

If interested, please submit a completed application (2 pages, including an essay of interest).

Note: The two-page application can be found in pages 4 and 5 in this application packet.

17.   How do I submit the application?

There are two ways to submit your application:

1.) Send your complete application via email to the grant assistant, Catherine Lam at catherineyuenying.lam@sjsu.edu.

2.) Put a hard copy in the grant assistant mailbox, which is located in the department office.

 Note: There is no need to put a printed application in the grant assistant mailbox if you have submitted your application via email.

18.   When do I apply?

Applications are typically due in the second half of the Fall semester.  Interested applicants should submit their applications during the first year of M.A. sequence or second year of E.M. sequence.

19.   When is the application deadline?

During the Spring semester of each year.  Please refer to the application for a specific date.

*The application for the academic year of 2016-2017 is due on Friday, November 20, 2015.*

20.   What happens after I submit the application?

After your application has been reviewed, an email will be sent to you regarding your interview time and location.

21.   When will I know if I get accepted?

Within one month after your interview, you will be informed regarding your application status via email.  Please refer to the application for a specific date.

22.   How do I know if I am accepted to the grant?

You will receive an email regarding your acceptance.

23.   If I receive financial grants (e.g., State University Grant), can I still receive the Aural Impact grant?


                 Note: The amount of funding from the Financial Aid office may be affected once you are on Project Aural Impact.

24.   If my tuition is paid in full by other financial grant, will I be able to use the tuition reimbursement for other expenses (e.g., stipend, travels, textbooks)?

No.  If your entire tuition is paid by another financial grant, you will only receive supports for textbooks, tests, stipend, etc.

25.   If my other financial grant pays for a portion of my tuition, will Aural Impact pay for the remaining balance?

Yes.  The grant will directly pay the balance of your tuition to the Bursar’s Office.

26.   Can I simultaneously receive two departmental grants?

No. You can only be on either one of them.

If your questions cannot be answered in this FAQ, please send an email to catherineyuenying.lam@sjsu.edu.