CCAT publishes two newsletters:
- The Eco-Tech Monthly is a monthly PDF publication geared towards students and local (HSU / Arcata) community members. There is an emphasis on eco-living tips, timely CCAT updates (events, workshops, etc.), Appropriate Tech projects, and other topics that would be of interest to this audience.
- The AT Transfer is a semesterly (or yearly) publication that gets mailed to CCAT VIPs, alumni, school faculty and administrators, etc. Half marketing pamphlet and half annual update for our more distant stakeholders, it informs and reminds people outside our day-to-day community of the things we do and the successes we achieve. There will mainly be major CCAT news stories, personal reflections, longer essays on sustainable living, etc.
Working with the other Co-Editor, you are responsible for the
creation and publication of the newsletters. Though you will write some
stories yourself, stories can also come from other members of the community. Meeting deadlines is essential.
For examples, please see our previous issues:
- Pitching and collecting story ideas on a monthly basis
- Assigning stories to writers
- Writing stories or keeping other writers on deadline. Frequent reminders and drafts are highly encouraged.
- Selecting appropriate pictures to accompany the stories. You may
use CCAT’s existing photos, request additional ones, or take more
yourself. CCAT can provide digital cameras.
- Implementing a reusable layout that looks good both electronically and when printed
- Ensuring the timely publication of both newsletters
General CCAT duties for all employees
- Attend regular employee and branch meetings
- Assist in tabling and outreach efforts
- Assist in the preparation of volunteer and employee meals a few times a semester
- Assist other employees, volunteers, and Co-Directors as necessary
- Must be an HSU student during your employment
- Reliability, self-motivation, and ability to work on deadline are absolutely essential
- Must be able to work well with other Co-Editor
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign or willingness to learn
- Prior experience with publication editing. Experience on Lumberjack
, Osprey, or other local publication staff highly appreciated.
- Copyediting and proofreading experience
- Familiarity with photo management/editing software such as Adobe
Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Google Picasa, Adobe Lightroom, Apple
Schedule and Pay
- 5 hours / week
- $8.75 / hour
- Flexible scheduling, to be coordinated with Co-Directors and your branch