Frequently asked questions

What is the difference between Counselling and Psychotherapy?

Counselling is generally shorter term work which usually focuses on specific issues or difficulties. Psychotherapy usually involves more in depth work than counselling as it may explore more fully aspects of ourselves, patterns in the way we relate to ourselves and others and the links between past events and current experience.

What type of Counselling do you practice?

I am trained in transpersonal psychotherapy and counselling, which is an integrative model and I draw on a variety of approaches such as gestalt, psychodynamic depending on whatever might be appropriate for your needs.

As as a transpersonal therapist my aim is to help you discover the essential wise core of yourself and who you really are. My work is primarily through talking and some techniques may include drawing, visualization or working with dreams if this is appropriate. The transpersonal approach sees difficulties and crisis as tools for transformation and growth.

A session may begin with you expressing what concerns you, my role is to help you explore issues at you own pace. I will not give advice or make decisions but help you find your own inner resources. I would usually suggest that we meet for an initial session to help you decide if you would feel comfortable in working further with me.

What kind of clients do you see?

Individuals with issues such as:
  • anxiety
  • depression
  • work related problems
  • bereavement
  • low self esteem
  • history of trauma or abuse
  • fertility issues
  • mental illness
  • family and relationship problems
  • religious and spiritual issues

What is the cost?

Usually £50 per hour

Where are you based?

My practice is based in East Reading in the university area

How long do I come for?

You may feel that a few sessions is enough or you may wish to come for longer.

You are welcome to phone for an initial chat on 0118 926 1568 or to e mail me.