The main playing card manufacturers in the United States are shown below. These can be helpful in dating antique decks of cards, though it must be kept in mind that company names continued to be used even after mergers and acquisitions. This is not intended to be a complete list. See references for more information about these and more manufacturers.
based in Cincinnati, OH (1881-1894)
from 1881-1885 named "Russell & Morgan Co."
from 1885-1891 named "Russell & Morgan Printing Co."
from 1891-1894 named "The United States Printing Co."
since 1894 named "The United States Playing Card Co."
from 1894-1925, Ace of Spades often read "U.S. Playing Card Co., Russell & Morgan Factories"
based in New York, NY (1848-1930)
from 1907-1930, was a separate part of USPC
in 1930, was merged into Consolidated Dougherty Co. (since 1962 operated as a division of USPC)
based in Philadelphia, PA (1885-1889)
based in New York, NY (1890-1894)
in 1894, acquired by USPC, name was used until 1915
based in Philadelphia, PA (1844-1871)
from 1844-1849, named "Samuel Hart"
in 1871, was merged into "The New York Consolidated Card Co.", but name was used until 1930
- based in New York, NY (1871-1930)
- from 1894-1930, was a seperate part of USPC
- in 1930, was merged into Consolidated Dougherty Co. (since 1962 operated as a division of USPC)
- based in Indianapolis, IN & New York, NY (1886-1894)
- in 1894, was merged with USPC
- based in Kalamazoo, MI (1886-1915)
- in 1915 it was acquired by USPC
based in Chicago, IL (1890-1930)
from 1894, operated as independent part of USPC
in 1930, was merged into Consolidated Dougherty Co.
- based in Milltown, NY (1905-1911)
- in 1912, was merged with Russell Playing Card Co.
- based in New York, NY (1908-1914)
- based in Kalamazoo, MI (1903-1912)
- from 1903-1906 named "The Kalamazoo Paper Box & Card Co."
- in 1912 was merged with "Russell Playing Card Co."
- based in Milltown, NY (1912-1928)
- in 1929, became a division of USPC, but name was used for some years later
- based in Racine, WI & Chicago, IL (since 1918)
- from 1918-1919 named "Western Press" (Chicago)
- from 1919-1920 named "Logan Printing House" (Chicago)
- from 1920-1927 named "Midland Playing Card Co." (Chicago)
- from 1924-1926 named "M.B. Sheffer Card Co." (Chicago)
- from 1926-1927 named "M.B. Sheffer Card Co." (Racine)
- "Inter-Ocean Playing Card Co." (1924-1927)
- "Western Playing Card Co."
- "Whitman Plating Card Co."
- based in Ontario, Canada (since 1914)
- the international division of USPC
- maintained its own manufacturing operation from 1928 to 1991, but in recent years it focuses as a sales branch of the USPC
based in Chicago, IL (1920's-1987)
from 1920's-1935 it was named 'Arrow Playing Card Co.'
in 1987, was acquired by USPC
Arrco used many different seals on their playing cards after the use of tax stamps was phased out. For more information on the manufacturers seals used by Arrco, take a look at the Manufacturers Seals section of this website
based in St. Paul, MN (1927-1980's)
in 1980's, acquired by Hoyle
Stancraft was a subsidiary of Brown & Bigelow and was established to bring their products to the retail market. Hoyle was Stancraft’s major brand name. Hoyle became such a strong brand name that after 1975 the divisions name was changed to Hoyle Products. In the late 1960’s, B&B was acquired by Standard Packaging, which was in turn acquired by Saxon Industries in 1970.
- based in Brooklyn, NY (1920-1933)
- since 1925, under leadership of NYCC (USPC)
- in 1929, Brooklyn plant was dismantled
- in 1933, the corporation was finally dissolved
- based in Cincinnati, OH & New York, NY (1925-1940's)
- based in Las Vegas, NV ( - 2003)
- in 2003, was bought out by Bud Jones
- based in St. Paul, MN (1980's-2001)
- in 2001, acquired by USPC
- a division of Brown & Bigelow/Standard Packaging Corp.
- in 2004, acquired by USPC
- based in Blue Springs, MI (1970's-2000)
- in 2000, acquired by USPC