Simple Polyball Rig
There are many ways to set up a ledger rig for pond fishing; a favourite technique amongst fishery locals has the bait suspended a small distance from the bottom, right in front of the fish. It's easy to set up and very productive. You need:
- a bomb or a drilled weight
- a single split-shot or plastic bead
- a polythene ball (polyball)
- a hook
- bait: Powerbait; grubs, maggots or worms
- Set up your rod and line, then slip the bomb onto the line.
- Fasten the hook to the line and pinch a single splitshot hook-side between 3" to a foot (15cm to 30cm) from the hook.
- Choose a shot that's just large enough to prevent the ledger from travelling down to the hook.
- Now hook the polyball and push it up over the eye (twisting it can prevent it splitting).
- Bait choice for me is a lump of powerbait around the polyball and a couple (in case one comes free) of wiggling grubs.
- Make sure it's all presented well with no loose line or hook poking out. Beautiful!
- Finally check the bait on every cast and re-position the polyball if it works its way down the hook.