click on a photo to enlarge it
Beech T-36 (CL-60): In 1952, the U.S. Air Force designated Canadair as associate contractor for the T-36 program. The T-36 was a twin-engined high performance utility training/transport aircraft. Powered by 2,100 hp Pratt & Whitney R-2800 engines, it was designed to carry 12 to 14 passengers at a speed of 400 knots (740 km/hr) at 20,000 feet (6,000 m). Canadair was made responsible for the design, tooling and manufacture of the entire fuselage aft of the flight deck. Production plans called for Canadair to build the forward fuselage and center wings, rear fuselage and tail section, and then to do the final assembly of the entire aircraft. In fact, Canadair built three pre-production sets of rear fuselage and tail sections before the program was abruptly cancelled in June 1953.
Grumman CS2F-1 and CS2F-2: Between 1955 and 1958, Canadair produced 99 rear fuselages and 150 radomes for the Tracker anti-submarine aircraft for de Havilland Aircraft of Canada Ltd.
Orenda Iroquois Engine.: During 1956 and 1957, Canadair modified a Boeing B-47 jet bomber for use as a flying test bed for the Orenda Iroquois PS-13 engine which was to power the Avro Arrow.
Republic F-105: A considerable amount of tooling and leading edge skins for the F-105 Thunderchief were produced in 1956 and 1957 under contract with Republic Aviation Corporation of Farmindale, Long Island, New York.
F-111 Components: Between 1962 and 1967, Canadair produced 559 aircraft sets of fins, rudders and carry-through fittings, as well as a large number of wing pivots for the General Dynamics F-111 fighter bomber. Later, between 1980 and 1985, 46 vertical tail assemblies were supplied to Grumman Corporation of Bethpage, N.Y., for the EF-111 electronic warfare version of the F-111.
F-5 Components: Over 1,400 boat tails and horizontal stabilizers for the CF-5, F-5A, F-5B and T-38 aircraft were produced between 1965 and the early 1980s under a series of contracts from Northrop and DND.
Lockheed C-5A Components: Between 1966 and 1972, Canadair produced 81 shipsets of ailerons, wing slats, slat tracks, wing leading edges, undercarriage doors and fairings, and aft cargo doors for the Lockheed C-5A Galaxy, the largest transport in the U.S. Air Force. A further 50 shipsets of components for the C-5B plus additional C-5A spares were supplied to Lockheed between 1983 and 1988.
CL Designs (UK) Limited: On December 1, 1966, Canadair established a subsidiary, CL Designs (UK) Ltd., at Barnet in northeast London, England. CL (UK) was responsible for planning and tool design in support of the C-5A wing slats and leading edges. (The components themselves were designed by a Lockheed UK team located in Southwell, West London). For the first two years, CL (UK) worked almost exclusively on the C5-A program. When that task was done, CL (UK) did similar work for many companies including tool design for British Aerospace for the Concorde, the Lada Company of Russia for their Lada cars, Lucas-Rotax for the Rolls-Royce RB211 engine and Israeli Aircraft for the Arava utility transport aircraft. CL (UK) ceased operations in 1972.
Grumman F-14: Tooling and a small amount of manufacturing for the F-14 Tigercat was completed in 1970 under contract to the Grumman Corporation of Bethpage New York.
Dassault Mercure (CL-251): Between 1971 and 1975, Canadair machined or manufactures 10 sets of wing panels, vertical stabilizers, slat tracks, flap tracks and carriages, and engine pylons France's short-lived Mercure 120-passenger airliner. At the same time, seven sets of wing panels were supplied to Dassault for the Falco 10 business jet.
Boeing 747-SP (CL-257): Under a Boeing contract of November 1973, Canadair manufactured 44 fuselage barrel sections for the 747SP airliner. Th SP (Special Performance) was an ultra-long range version of the standartd 747. Its fuselage was 14 m (15 ft.) shorter than the standard 747. This required the installation of a 4.6 m (15 ft.) long tapered barrel section immediately forward of the rear door. Canadair supplied one more section in 1985, bringing the total to 45 units.
Lockheed P3-C (CL-281): Between 1977 and 1991, Canadair supplied 160 shipsets of outer wing boxes, stub wings, aft fuselages, forward and aft radomes and main electrical load centers for the Lockheed CP-140 and P3-C long range patrol anti-submarine warfare aircraft. Another eight sipsets of P3-C stub wings, radomes, main electrical load centers and aft fuselages were supplied in 1993 and 1994.
McDonnell Douglas F/A-18 Hornet: In June 1981 Canadair was awarded a contract to produce the complex nose section for one of every two F-18s for the U.S. Navy. By November 1994, 531 units had been supplied.
Nuclear Submarine Ball Valves: Between 1962 and 1972, Canadair produced ball valves, hydraulic actuators and ball valve components for the U.S. nuclear submarine program under contract to Electric Boat and other manufacturers.
F-15 Components: Between 1980 and 1988, Canadair supplied approximately 17,000 components to McDonell-Douglas for the F-15 Eagle fighter.
Boeing 767 Rear Fuselage Sections: In 1980, Canadair began work of the first of a series of contracts to supply 767 rear fuselage sections to Boeing. A total of 553 sections had been delivered by the end of 1994.
Airbus Components: On September 23, 1988, Bombardier and Aérospatiale of France signed the largest subcontract in Canadair history - covering the supply of six major components for the Airbus 330 and 340. The components were: center fuselage keel beam, pressurized lateral floor, aft pressure bulkhead, nose bottom fuselage, nose gear doors, floor structure and lateral shell frames. On November 12, 1988, British Aerospace awarded Canadair a $400 million contract to supply inboard fixed leading edge assemblies for the A330 and A340. Shipments began in December 1989 and a total of 121 shipsets had been delivered by November 1994.
Boeing 737 Components: In September 1994, Boeing contracted for the supply of support structures for the wing fixed trailing edge of the Boeing 737-500X, 737-700 and 737-800 family of airliners.