Gallery 111



Master Painter of Railways 

William G. Hobbs


Beautiful Archival Quality Prints will be Available  for a Brandon General Museum and Archives Inc. Fundraiser.  All funds go directly to Archives.


The first group of  No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 is ready. Price is $50.00 each  and BGMA will deliver in Brandon and area and pay for mailing tube and Postage. 

To order prints email:   bgmainfo@brandon.com



  
Canadian Pacific Railway 

Royal Hudson 2816 Visits Brandon

Printed through the generosity of Sampson Engineering Inc.
Brandon General Museum and Archives Inc.

Brandon Heritage Print Series 4 of 6

The Canadian Pacific Railway built a class of 4-6-4 Hudson Steam locomotives in 1930 to use in passenger service. They pulled the Royal Train of 1939 westbound across Canada. They were given the right to use  the term “Royal” as a result of this trip. Engine 2816 was retired on May 26, 1960. The CPR rebuilt the locomotive for service in 1980 and the photo from which this painting was done was taken from Brandon’s 8th Street bridge in 2007.

Click on image to enlarge

 
Northern Pacific Railway  

Night Train to Pembina

Hobbs Collection original for sale

Brandon General Museum and Archives Inc.

Brandon Heritage Print Series 5 of 6


The Northern Pacific Railway arrived in Brandon on May 5, 1890. The first passenger train arrives on May 16th. The line ran from Brandon to Wawanesa, Belmont, Roland, Morris, Emerson Junction to Pembina, North Dakota. The station was located on 9th Street near the present City Hall. The line was sold to Canadian Northern Railway in 1901.



Great Northern Railway Gas Electric 

#2327 Arrives In Brandon

McGuire Collection

Brandon General Museum and Archives Inc.

Brandon Heritage Print Series 6 of 6

The painting is of the Brandon, Manitoba, Great Northern Station.  The GN line ran from Churches Ferry, North Dakota, to Brandon from 1906 until 1936. The GN ran a passenger train to Brandon, Manitoba daily (except Sunday) for this period of time. The train to Brandon was Number 209 and it is this train in front of the station. Around 1930, in order to cut costs, the steam passenger train was replaced by a self propelled gas electric car, which was capable of pulling another coach  
if the traffic called for it. In the background is a GN steam locomotive which would have been working as the Brandon yard engine. The time is the early 1930’s. The GN station was located at 11th Street and Pacific Avenue.



The second group should be printed by the end of January and then all six for sale for $295.00. The funds are going to help the City of Brandon establish its first General Museum and Archives.


1.  CNR Brandon Prince Edward Hotel -Cohn Collection
Summit of Steam

2.  CPR Brandon Station Track side - Wiebe Collection



3.  Brandon Empire Brewing with Train - unknown owner
Comments