CampMed at UCI is a student organized program that was founded by medical and undergraduate students in 1997. They saw the need for a local program that would target socio-economically disadvantaged high school students interested in pursuing higher education specifically in the health science fields. Currently in its 16th year of existence, CampMed at UCI has already reached out to over 1120 high school students from Los Angeles and Orange County schools.
The mission of CampMed at UCI is to provide an opportunity for high school students faced with socioeconomic barriers to reach beyond what they normally see and receive in their home environments and gain inspiration from undergraduate students, graduate students, medical students and medical professionals.
Today, CampMed at UCI is a non-profit educational-enrichment program that encompasses a unique three-day camp experience and a subsequent mentorship program. Workshops in the past included: ultrasound, phlebotomy, intubation, medical ethics, suturing, dental impressions, team building exercises, first-aid and search & rescue. The mentorship program includes volunteer fairs and career panels at the high school. This peer-mentoring program targets youth who show academic promise and are interested in pursuing health and science careers but don't have the resources to develop their potential.
The high school students attend CampMed at NO COST TO THEM. However, it costs approximately $140 per camper to send these participants to CampMed free-of-charge. Since CampMed at UCI is organized and directed by undergraduate, graduate and medical student volunteers, outside support is essential. All donations are tax deductible and all of the proceeds raised support camp functions. CampMed at UCI is a non-profit organization of the University of California, Irvine and has 501(C) status. To obtain our tax identification number, please contact us.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
- 1998 American Medical Association-Medical Student Section "Outstanding Community Service Award"
- 1998 University of California, Irvine "Humanitarian Award"
- 1998 UCI College of Medicine "Extra-Ordinary Service Award"
- 1999 American Association of Medical Colleges Conference-poster presentation
- 2000 American Medical Student Association Merck Local Project Grant
- 2001 American Association of Medical Colleges Conference-poster presentation
- 2002-2006 Recipient of the Student Initiated Outreach Academic Coalition Grant (SIOAC)
- 2007-2011 Recipient of the Student Initiated Academic Preparation (SIAP) Program Grant
- 2011-2012 Recipient of the Edwards Lifesciences Community Grant
Griffith Park Boys Camp in Los Angeles from April 5-7, 2013
Griffith Park Boys Camp in Los Angeles from May 11-13, 2012
Griffith Park Boys Camp in Los Angeles from May 13-15, 2011
Griffith Park Boys Camp in Los Angeles from April 23-25, 2010
UCI School of Medicine/UCI Medical Center in Orange County from
May 15-17, 2009
Camp Hollywoodland in Hollywood from May 3-5, 2008
Lazy W Ranch Camp in San Juan Capistrano
CampMed 2002-Lazy W Ranch Camp in San Juan Capistrano
CampMed 2001-Lazy W Ranch Camp in San Juan Capistrano
CampMed 2000-Lazy W Ranch Camp in San Juan Capistrano
(Missing CampMed group photos circa 1998-1999, 2003-2005)