Back To Wichita

In the winter of 1945 Loren Kennedy wrote to ask me if I would be interested in coming back to Wichita again. I told him I might and Frank Hollow, their President at the time, on a business trip to New York, came up to Providence to interview me. We sat around the dining room table and I showed him samples of my work and he seemed to be very impressed. I did not know at the time that he was a rich successful oil operator and The Western was just a sideline with him. He was called the "boy wonder" in Wichita oil circles because nearly all of the wells he drilled were producers and not dry holes.

Clarence labeled this photo "at the Kennedy's." However Loren's daughter does not recognize anyone except Clarence. We assume he mislabeled the picture. Contact me if you know who the family is.

He later wrote me a letter and offered me a job at $6,000 per year and would pay my moving expenses. It was not what I should have asked but in many respects we thought it would be more secure than doing what I was doing and it would be nice to live back near Bertha's folks and where we had a lot of friends. We waited for about three months before we made up our minds. Livermore and Knight did not come up with enough incentive for me to stay there so I quit and moved to Wichita May 1st, 1945, leaving the family behind.

Ten days after I took the job in Wichita, Frank Hollow died. I wrote back to L&K to see if the position they had offered me was still open but I missed the boat there although they said they would be glad to take me back on my old free lance basis. Whether or not I would have been better off going back nobody will ever know. L&K did come out of the doldrums and with Richard Knight at the helm they really went to town, becoming a large organization which eventually by mergers and large capital became Printing Corporation of America. I doubt, though, that I could have gotten anywhere, for they, like so many others, figured artists to be a dime a dozen.

After I had been at The Western about a month Loren Kennedy, Ernie Bullinger and myself were sent on a trip to Eastman Co. in Rochester to take some instruction from them on some of the new developments in camera and color correction work. This gave me an opportunity to go to Providence to see the family where we made up our plans for the future.

So I returned to Wichita and we put our Providence house up for sale. I again started looking at houses down here and finally found the one we now live in.

Their Wichita home as it is today.

To get back to my taking the job at The Western I was not too impressed with the outlook but since Hollow had died there was nothing to do so I thought to stick it out and hope for the best. Another disturbing factor was the fact that they also hired Charley Fellnagle as Creative Art Director shortly before they had hired me. So Charley took care of the creative work and I took care of the production. So it turned out that I had only one-half the responsibilities which suited me fine. Believe me, after what I had gone through prior to this I was ready for a more relaxing job.

We worked along for several weeks without a company President. Louis Ely, George Blue, Mrs. Hollow, Frank Larcher and a few outsiders held most of the stock. Mrs. Hollow held the most stock and she needed to sell for inheritance taxes. Contact was made with Otis Wells of Kansas City who had made a reputation as a go-getter and he was offered the opportunity to buy out Mrs. Hollow. He came down in July to take over and shortly after he hired Ivan Mahan as Sales Manager and Carl Kinney as Business Manager.

Wells was a good business man all right and our business grew very well. Charley and I with the help of Lloyd Foltz, Orlan Voth, Chick Wentzell and a couple others handled the art work very well. Our building was the same one Vincent built in 1927. As business grew we gradually took over the entire building, first kicking out the drugstore on the corner and later the garage on the first floor and basement. Then Wells wanted to get rid of the Office Supply Department which took up the remainder of the first floor. The Office Supply Dpt. finally sold to Earl Duke who moved the stock to a building across the street. That might have been a gold mine for just after that happened business began to boom - the reactivation of Boeing being the main impetus and Beech and Cessna boomed also.

You begin to think he liked trees.
Excerpts from his final chapter: So after we were once settled in Wichita it looks now like this is where I'll live the rest of my life. All these years (since retirement) have been quite routine. I keep busy year after year doing my yard work. We always took a nice trip by auto each summer. We'd go to Wisconsin every other year at least, we took trips to Providence and elsewhere in the East two or three times and a couple of trips to California. We spent four or five times in Montana to fish. I sure enjoyed those fishing trips to Montana.
The fisherman.
So with this happy note I will close this account for the time being. My main object in writing this account was to put down in writing some of the experiences and observations of my life in the rather remote past.

And this is where his story ended.

They shared a passion, they shared their lives.
Charles Capps, Lloyd Foltz, Orlin Voth, Clarence Hotvedt, Loren Kennedy

It appears that Clarence designed the logo for the Kansas University School of Medicines’ Jager Club. The group was formed in 1967, is still in existence, and maintain a website which features this as their logo. They did not reply to an email requesting information on the logo or its history.

Below are four of the Wichita building prints he did during retirement.