BC Civil War History‎ > ‎The Events‎ > ‎

Wetzel-Compton Post #96

Wetzel-Compton Post #96 of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was chartered on July 14 1881. It was named in honor of two soldiers of the 69th Ohio volunteer Infantry; Private Jacob Wetzel, who was killed at Missionary Ridge, and Sergeant John A Compton, who was killed at Resaca, Georgia.  Post #96 was very active in the Hamilton community and was the driving force behind the construction of the Hamilton Soldiers and Sailors Monument in the 1890’s. Up until the 1920’s, its members turned out in force for every Memorial Day parade, every Fourth of July parade, and every patriotic event scheduled. Post #96 made a gift of a large plot at Greenwood Cemetery to be used as a resting spot for local war veterans. Known as the “Field of Honor,” it is still the site of public observances on Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veterans Day. On the outbreak of war with Spain in 1898, the veterans of Post #96 put on their old uniforms and escorted Hamilton’s Company E, First Ohio Volunteers to the train depot. Not until August 1936 did Post #96 finally go inactive when one of its last two surviving members died.

Comments