Later Volunteers From Butler County

The young men of Hamilton and vicinity, between the ages of fifteen and nineteen years, formed a company to be known as the Young Guard, and were drilled by Lewis D. CAMPBELL, ex-member of congress, and formerly captain of Butler Guards.


Wm. H. H. RUSSELL and others formed a military company, drilling at Jacob's Hall. Gov. DENNISON had, on or before the 20th of May, accepted Captain J. W. C. SMITH'S Pioneers as one of thirty-three companies outside of the regular regiments.


At Camp Hamilton the Pioneers had some amusement in hanging Jeff. DAVIS in effigy. The ceremonies were imposing. Jeff. was appropriately represented as a negro, and was upborne by four men at the head of a squad of about fifty, ably commanded by Benjamin Franklin STEVENS, as captain, and Thomas Benton HART, as lieutenant. The procession moved from camp at 2pm for Hamilton, marching through the principal streets. It halted at Squire WILES's , who pronounced the sentence of the law upon Jeff. He was not worthy of a soldier's death by being shot, but must be hung by the neck until dead. The procession then returned to camp and proceeded to put the sentence of the court in execution. An Adams officiated as hangman. The drop soon feel, and Jeff. was suspended between heaven and earth, dying without a struggle. Shouts went up from the multitude, groans were given for all traitors, and cheers for the Union.


A large portion of the early drilling of recruits was done here by Captain John MC CLEARY, son of Andrew MCCLEARY, of West Hamilton. He had been admitted into the regular army, and was at home on a leave of absence when the civil war broke out. He was a graduate of the United States Military Academy, at West Point, in the class of 1854, and was appointed a second lieutenant in 1855. He was promoted to first lieutenant in 1860, and captain on the 17th of May, 1861. He was breveted as major for gallant and meritorious services at the battle of Gettysburg, and afterwards was creditably employed as an officer in command of a post in South Carolina during the reconstruction period. He was a participant in the battles of Antietam, September 16 and 17, 1862; crossing of the Potomac at Shepherdstown, August 18, 1862; Skinner's, at or near Leetown, Virginia, Septmeber 20, 1862; Snicker's Gap, November 3, 1862; Fredericksburg, 13th and 14th of December; Chancellorsville, May 1, 1863; Gettysburg, July 2, 1863.


Major MC CLEARY died on the 25th of February, 1868. He had been complaining a little for a day or two, and kept in this room. On the morning of his death, he wrote an order which he gave to his servant for his breakfast, but when the boy returned with it he found MC CLEARY insensible and bathed in blood. The doctor reached him immediately, and tried to rally him, but it was of no avail, and he went off unconscious and without pain. The cause of his death was the bursting of an aneurysm of the aorta, opening into the esophagus. His remains were carefully embalmed and sent home, under the charge of an officer. The ladies of the army decorated the coffin most beautifully with flowers. Major James P. ROY, commanding the military post of Charleston, South Carolina, issued a general order announcing Major MC CLEARY's death. The deceased had, he said, been continuously in the service of his country for fourteen years. " IN the performance of his duty during this period, a large share of which has been checkered by events memorable in history, he ahs borne his part with a fidelity only equaled by that modesty of deportment which distinguished his personal character. On the frontier, in warfare with the savages, in marches across the continent, in the arduous and hard fought campaigns of the army of the Potomac in the late stupendous war, no superior has found him deficient in courage and capacity, and n comrade has known him but to respect him. His record has been uniformly that of a duty officer, a conscientious soldier. Of irreproachable morals and unsullied honor, his private character has been that of a retiring and estimable gentleman. In hi the army loses a valuable officer and his associates a trustworthy friend."


The commandant of the other detachment of his regiment, then stationed at Fort Gibson, in the Cherokee nation, Brevet-major M. BRYANT, also issued a feeling order in respect to the decease of Major MC CLEARY. He said:


"Major MC CLEARY entered the service in 1854, having graduated that year from the United States Military Academy. He served several years on the western frontier and in California, where he performed arduous and gallant services in campaign against hostile Indians, and in the late war, participating in every battle in which his regiment was engaged, from Yorktown to Gettysburg, receiving the brevet of major of gallant and meritorious services in the latter battle.

"A high-toned and estimable gentleman, a gallant and true-hearted soldier, has gone to his rest, leaving behind him a bright example of soldierly bearing, and of a conscientious and upright performance of duty, worth the emulation of the comrades who now mourn his loss. As a token of respect for the memory of the deceased, the officers of the regiment will wear the usual badge of mourning for thirty days."


The Butler Grays, organized at Princeton, under command of Captain MURPHY, was one of the best in the county. A splendid flag was presented to it by the ladies of Princeton and vicinity, through Miss Mollie URMSTON.


The Reeder Cadets, who were young fellows from the ages of fifteen to seventeen, organized under the supervision of Captain N. REEDER. Their officers were Charles POTTER, Captain; Thomas SHAFER, First Lieutenant; F. A. LIGHTER, Second Lieutenant; and Joseph WYMAN, Orderly Sergeant. They received many gifts from the citizens of Hamilton.


The Butler Pioneers suffered much from shortness of tobacco. As their money had given out they could get no more. But the establishment of a sutler afterwards enabled them to get as much as they wanted, and have the value deducted from their monthly pay.


B. F. MILLER and F. W. KEIL began recruiting for a new company, and a roll was also left at Heppards's store, in Collinsville, and with W.S. LEWIS, New London.


The three months' recruits returned home in July and August, and were warmly received.


The University Rifles returned from their campaign in Western Virginia on the 8th of August. They were welcomed home by the military companies of the city and a large crowd of citizen, who greeted them with a salute of artillery and musketry, and the cheers of assembled thousands.

A fine company, under the style of Union rifles, composed mainly of citizens of Union Township, left Oxford, on the 8th of August, for Camp Dennison.


Captain STONE'S company of three years volunteers, the Anderson Grays, went into camp at the Hamilton Fair Grounds on the 10th of August. Captain THOMS, of Seven-Mile, had a company partly ready.


On the 15th of August, 1861, there were at Camp Hamilton three companies, the Anderson Grays, the Butler Blues, and Captain REEDER's. the last two were not full, but were being rapidly filled up.


Captain STONE's and Captian J. S. EARHART's companies were sworn into the service of the United States on Tuesday, the 20th of August. Captain Fred. HESER left Hamilton for Camp Dennison on the 22d, with seventy or eighty good fighting men, to join the Porschner regiment, which was to join Fremont's column immediately.


The location of Camp Hamilton was changed in August from the Fair Ground to the common at the head of Third Street, on the old cricket ground. This was done principally to secure a good parade ground, where there would be no obstruction to drill.


Dr. MALLORY began raising a company in Hamilton in September. He had forty-two names on his roll.


Charles MURRAY was also getting up a company of cavalry. The company, when completed, would be commanded by Captain WHITE, a graduate of West Point, and for twelve years a captain in the regular army. The company was to be attached to Colonel Taylor's regiment, which was to be ordered to St. Louis.


W.H. WADE was engaged in recruiting for a cavalry company. It was nearly full, and only a few men more were wanted. It was to be under the command of Captain HUNT, late of Burdsall's dragoons, well known for their effective service in Western Virginia.


Alexander SCHMIDTMAN entered into the service of his country as a soldier soon after the breaking out of the Rebellion, and was a faithful member of Company F, Sixth Regiment Ohio volunteers, until the failure of his health. He took part in several of the severest battles fought during the war, among which was that at Pittsburg Landing. He was then taken sick, patiently suffering during his protracted illness. He died September 7, 1863, in the thirty ninth year of his age.