- Carry out a brief reconnaissance search (min group of 4) in areas of high probability, looking especially at junctions, huts, camp sites & creeks.
- If missing for 3-4 hours assume to be totally lost & seek help for a search.
- Send a small self sufficient fast moving group to the nearest point of civilisation, carrying details of the lost party, while the remainder of the group sets up camp & lights a visible fire where the lost party was last seen.
- They must not move until the lost party is found or the search party gives up hope.
- Searchers give 1 signal at regular intervals.
- Lost party 3 consecutive, regularly spaced.
- To recall searchers use 2 signals at short intervals.
- Details to be sent with group seeking help:
- Full name, address & age of each of those lost
- When last seen, where & by whom.
- Name, address & tel number of N.O.K.
- Physical & mental condition.
- Bushwalking skills.
- Knowledge of the area.
- Clothing worn.
- Equipment & food carried.
- Give details of person making report & information about the trip.
[Category: Leadership Skills|When others are lost]]