About Burley‎ > ‎

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a prospective parent. Can I come tour the school?

We realize that choosing the right learning environment for your child can be an overwhelming process. We encourage you to come visit our school to see our teachers and students in action and ask any questions you may have. Tours are held beginning in October; please see the school calendar for specific dates. We do require prospective parents to register in advance for school tours. This enables us to manage tour group size, which minimizes classroom interruptions and also ensures that each visiting parent has the opportunity to ask questions. Please click here to register for a tour. We encourage you to find a babysitter for tours as these events can be crowded.

Q: How do I enroll my 3 or 4 year old at Burley? 

The deadline for submitting Tuition-Based Pre-K applications for the upcoming school year is usually in January; please call the office for specific deadlines. Due to demand, we encourage you to apply early and we typically begin accepting applications on the first day of school prior to the year of your child's matriculation. All accepted students must be three years old and toilet trained by the first day of school. Living within our attendance boundaries does not guarantee a spot in Burley's Pre-K class, but neighborhood children are given priority in the admissions process. Please come to the school office to fill out an application, or call 773-534-5475 for more information.

Q: What are your attendance boundaries?

Please consult the CPS School Locator Web Site for exact attendance boundaries. You may also call the Department of School Demographics and Planning at 773-553-3270.

Q: How do I enroll my child if I live in your attendance area?

If you live within our attendance boundaries and your child is in Kindergarten or older, come to the school office between 8:00 and 3:00 to enroll your child.  If you are enrolling your child during summer break, please call 773-534-5475 to schedule a time.  Staffing is limited in the summer. You will need to bring your child's original birth certificate, social security card, immunization record, and two documents proving your address. For Kindergarten and 5th grade students, a physical is also required.

Q: How do I enroll my child if I live outside your attendance area?

If you do not live within our attendance boundaries and your child is in Kindergarten or older, you will need to participate in the CPS lottery process to gain admission to the school. Lottery applications for fall admission are due in December of the previous year and are submitted directly to CPS central office. Prospective parents will be notified of lottery results in early March. The CPS Web Site has information about the lottery process, or you may call the school office. 

Q: What about lunch and recess?

Students go outdoors for recess each day during lunch break, weather permitting. Pre-K and Kindergarten students have extended outdoor play opportunities each day.  Our playground was renovated in the summer of 2012 and now features a kid-friendly turf surface.

Hot lunch is available on a sliding fee scale in accordance with CPS policy, or students are welcome to bring their own lunches. To promote student health, students are not permitted to bring soft drinks to school.

Q: Do you have art and music?

All students have weekly visual art and music classes. Art instruction is provided by Burley's art teacher and is connected to themes in literature. The music program is provided by the Merit School of Music as follows:
  • K-2nd grade: general music instruction, including introduction to rhythm and note relationships
  • 3rd grade: choir and percussion instruction
  • 4th and 5th grade: choice of band or choir
  • 6th grade: musical theater
  • 7th and 8th grade: option to continue band or choir

Q: Do you offer gym class?

Burley's full time physical education teacher provides P.E. class to all students one to two times per week. Classes emphasize healthy choices, athletic skills, teamwork, and lifelong fitness.

Q: What types of technology do students use? 

All classrooms at Burley have laptops or iPad devices for student use.  The entire building has both hard-wired and wireless Internet access. Burley has a multimedia Research Center, where students receive weekly or bi-weekly technology instruction. The Research Center is also available for special projects including inquiry research, digital video, multimedia presentations, online communication, and web page publication. In accordance with CPS policy, the Internet is only used for educational purposes at Burley.

In 2009, Burley was recognized as an Apple Exemplary Program. In 2010, we received a grant to integrate iPad devices into student inquiry and literacy instruction. Burley is an active participant in the CPS Technology Magnet Cluster Program and offers students a true 21st century learning experience.

Q: Do you have a gifted program?

The Burley philosophy is that all children are gifted. All classrooms have children working at different academic levels, and teachers differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners. Teachers also use flexible grouping within classrooms to support and challenge each student. The interdisciplinary, literature-based nature of our curriculum allows for a wide range of activities and resources, and teachers are skilled in guiding students to the projects and materials necessary for individual growth. Assignments are open-ended and are extended or modified as needed.