Build a wood awning : Black out drapery liner
Build A Wood Awning
- A sheet of canvas or other material stretched on a frame and used to keep the sun or rain off a storefront, window, doorway, or deck
- a canopy made of canvas to shelter people or things from rain or sun
- (awned) having awns i.e. bristlelike or hairlike appendages on the flowering parts of some cereals and grasses; "awned wheatgrass"
- An awning or overhang is a secondary covering attached to the exterior wall of a building. It is typically composed of canvas woven of acrylic, cotton or polyester yarn, or vinyl laminated to polyester fabric that is stretched tightly over a light structure of aluminium, iron or steel, possibly
- Incorporate (something) and make it a permanent part of a structure, system, or situation
- physique: constitution of the human body
- construct: make by combining materials and parts; "this little pig made his house out of straw"; "Some eccentric constructed an electric brassiere warmer"
- Commission, finance, and oversee the building of (something)
- build up: form or accumulate steadily; "Resistance to the manager's plan built up quickly"; "Pressure is building up at the Indian-Pakistani border"
- Construct (something, typically something large) by putting parts or material together over a period of time
- A golf club with a wooden or other head that is relatively broad from face to back (often with a numeral indicating the degree to which the face is angled to loft the ball)
- United States film actress (1938-1981)
- The hard fibrous material that forms the main substance of the trunk or branches of a tree or shrub
- the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
- forest: the trees and other plants in a large densely wooded area
- Such material when cut and used as timber or fuel
Chinese Freemasons Building - 1906
3-5 West Pender Street, Vancouver, BC. Description of Historic Place: The historic place is a four-storey brick facade surrounding a modern glass and concrete core, located at the northwest corner of Pender and Carrall Streets, at the western edge of Vancouver's historic Chinatown. Heritage Value: Constructed between 1906 and 1907, probably for the Chee Kung Tong, this building's heritage value is found both in its architecture and in its history of use. The architecture is of heritage value because of the contrast between Pender and Carrall Street facades, one of which is a typical commercial facade for the area (Carrall Street) and the other which reflects Chinatown's particular style of open balconies and generous glazing. Substantial alterations were undertaken by prominent Vancouver architect Samuel Buttrey Birds in 1913, perhaps related to the creation of a branch of the Bank of Vancouver on the ground floor. The facades are all that remain of the original building; they were retained when the rest of the building was demolished in 1975. This decision is significant for reflecting the emergence of a preservation agenda in the City of Vancouver's development planning policy for the historic Chinatown district at that time. Heritage value is also found in the history of use. The ground floor, like most ground floors in Chinatown, and the commercial core of downtown more generally, was used for retail space and offices, while the upper floors were used for a restaurant, by long-term tenant, the Pekin Restaurant (later the Pekin Chop Suey House). The Chee Kung Tong (sometimes called the Oriental Society), later the Chinese Freemasons, had their meeting rooms here, as well as a dormitory for Chinese males and a Chinese school. Such uses are representative of those commonly found in Chinese society buildings in Chinatowns throughout the world. The heritage value of the building is enhanced by the significant role the Freemasons played in the history of the Chinese Community in Vancouver and in Canada more generally. The earliest manifestation of the society, the Chee Kung Tong, dates its establishment as a fraternal order to the earliest immigration of Chinese to British Columbia during the Fraser River Gold Rush of 1858. It is therefore associated with the establishment of the Chinese community in British Columbia, and in Canada more generally. The Freemasons were intensively involved in the politics of China. Intense involvement in Chinese politics was a characteristic of the overseas Chinese community generally for many years with divisions within the community, reflecting adherence to different political agendas. The history of the Freemasons tells us a great deal about aspects of the history of the Chinese community, in particular the role of the politics and organizational life, and the enduring connections to China. While the specifics are peculiar to Vancouver, the general pattern of engagement is common to overseas Chinese communities and so the significance of the building extends beyond Vancouver to what this story tells us more generally. The building was slightly damaged during the anti-Chinese riots of 1907. Dr. Sun Yat Sen is reported to have stayed in the building, probably in 1911, while raising funds for his revolutionary Kuomintang party during his period of exile from China. It appears that the building may also have been mortgaged by the Chinese Freemasons in 1911, in common with similar holdings in Chinatowns in Europe, America, and Japan to support the revolution. Heritage value is also to be found in the remains of the external brick walls of the former Chinese Methodist Mission that are embedded in the north and west walls, and can also be seen in the walls of the present basement. The presence of a Methodist Mission on this key Chinatown site (fire insurance plans indicate it was built by 1901) reflects the established importance of Methodism in Chinese religious society in the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries. Source: City of Vancouver Heritage Conservation Program Character-Defining Elements: The character-defining elements of the Chinese Freemasons Building include the: - Busy corner location at the principal entrance to Vancouver's historic Chinatown and the polychromy of the location - Building seen through Chinatown's gateway when approached from the west - Pender Street facade reflecting typical Vancouver-Chinatown architecture, including recessed balconies backed by building-wide glazing, divided into a number of smaller lights and door openings by narrow glazing bars - Evidence of the location and extent of the original balcony balustrade seen in the position of redundant fastenings and paint ghostings - Restrained Victorian-Italianate Carrall Street facade, reflecting typical early nineteenth-century Canadian commercial architecture, including evenly-spaced, recessed, multiple, double-hung sash windows on two floors, over shop fronts - Unifying ef
Morse Building (later Nassau-Beekman Building)
Civic Center, Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States The current form of the Morse Building results from three periods of construction: the original (1878-80), as well as alterations in 1901-02 and c. 1965. Today, the structure’s 6-story midsection, with two articulated facades featuring round- and segmental-arched fenestration, is, in part, the earliest surviving (as well as one of the very few surviving) tall “fireproof” New York office building of the period prior to the full development of the skyscraper. The original 8-story (plus raised basement and attic) Morse Building was a speculative commission by Sidney E. Morse and G. Livingston Morse, cousins who were sons of the founders of the religious newspaper The New-York Observer, and nephews of Samuel F.B. Morse, the artist and inventor of the electric telegraph. The first major New York design of architects [Benjamin, Jr.] Silliman & [James M.] Farnsworth, employing a generally-praised stylistic combination of Victorian Gothic, neo-Grec, and Rundbogenstil, the building was located in the center of the city’s newspaper publishing and printing industries, as Park Row and Nassau Street were redeveloped with significant tall office buildings. It is an early example of the use of brick and terra cotta for the exterior cladding of office buildings in that period. The intricate polychrome brickwork, among the finest of its time surviving in New York City, was supplied by the Peerless Brick Co. of Philadelphia. It features hues of deep red contrasted with glazed black, the latter employed ornamentally, largely to emphasize the outlines of the fenestration. Terra cotta manufactured by the Boston Terra Cotta Co., one of the first East Coast firms, was used for details such as sillcourses and rondels. Just 20 years after its completion, the Morse Building was considered small and old-fashioned compared to very tall 1890s steel-framed skyscrapers. The Nassau-Beekman Building, as it was re-named, was altered in 1901-02 to the “Edwardian” neo-Classical style design of architects [William P.] Bannister & [Richard M.] Schell. This entailed remodeling the base; reconstructing the upper two stories, capped by a projecting balcony/cornice supported by enormous scroll brackets; and adding four steel-framed stories clad in cream-colored brick, bringing it to 14 stories. The shift in color and style of this alteration apparently reflected the influence of the recently-built Broadway Chambers Building (1899-1900, Cass Gilbert). From 1919 to 1942, the former Morse Building was headquarters of the United Cities Realty Corp. The base of the structure was altered again c. 1965, and the 10-story balcony/cornice was removed. The building was converted from office to residential use in 1980. DESCRIPTION AND ANALYSIS The Morse Family and the Morse Building The Morse Building was commissioned by Sidney Edwards Morse (1835-1908) and Gilbert Livingston Morse (1842-1891), cousins who were nephews of Samuel Finley Breese Morse (1791-1872), the artist and inventor of the electric telegraph (first operated in 1844). Sidney was the son of Richard Cary Morse (1795-1868), while G. Livingston was the son of Sidney Edwards Morse (1794-1871). The two elder Morses were the founders (1823) and publishers (until 1858) of The New-York Observer, called “the oldest existing religious newspaper in the United States” in King’s Handbook. G. Livingston Morse, born in New York City, was the inventor (c. 1869), with his father, of the bathometer, an instrument used in the exploration of sea depths, and was a partner and officer (1879-86) in the Nickel Alloy Co. (later Holmes-Wessell Metal Co.). He also served as a vice-president of the Mortgage Investment Co. (later Eno-Bunnell Investment Co.), as well as an alderman, acting Mayor, police commissioner, and Board of Education member in Yonkers. Sidney E. Morse was listed in the 1878-79 city directory as a pickle merchant. After the completion of the Morse Building, Sidney E. Morse & Co., pedometers, was located here until 1884, with both cousins associated with the firm. Afterwards, until G. Livingston’s death, their firm was S.E. & G.L. Morse, variously listed as bankers, brokers, real estate, and loans. The site of the Morse Building, at the northeast corner of Nassau and Beekman Streets, was the location where The New-York Observer was published from 1840 to 1859. Sidney E. [elder] and Richard C. Morse had an ownership interest in this property by 1845. Their executors conveyed the property to Sidney E. [younger] and G. Livingston Morse in June 1878. That month, the New York Times carried the following item: The old building at Nassau-street and Beekman long and unfortunately known as the Park Hotel has just been demolished, and on its site will rise one of the one of the finest buildings in the lower part of the City. The property is part of the Morse estate, and the new building, which is to be built by S.E